Thread: Diving into Open Division (USPSA) with both feet.

Diving into Open Division (USPSA) with both feet.

Well I have taken the plunge and have gone full tilt in moving to Open division in USPSA. Got bitten by the completion bug over a year and a half and haven’t looked back since. Started out in Carry Optics and just made the jump to Open for 2020. Borrowed my buddies Atlas Chaos and did a classifier match and got B class first time shooting an open gun, lol. I ordered a Phoenix Trinity Honcho that is a pretty new concept gun with the way the designed their lock up system (see the vids below) It seems to have an added benefit of reducing recoil a bit. Shooting 9 major now but they have barrels you can just drop in to swap from any caliber you want. Provided a couple links below that describes how it works.

I have attached pics of my new gun, using the Romeo3 MaxXL. Ran my first match with it this weekend and it by far was the most fun I ever had shooting in USPSA. Tried posting the a stage run but wouldn’t post from my videos like my pics do, I think I need to YouTube the video first, may try again later. Hopefully the gun proves to be reliable over time, it’s been out for just over a year but so far seems to be running reliable for all the users. By the way no affiliation at all with the company, just sharing the information.

https://youtu.be/clj11YXCh0c

https://youtu.be/2v6DrLJ2x0g

Name:  A41DE6A5-1F5C-4EE2-9E72-4CBE8CCCB1C6.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  26.3 KBName:  B2E74DD6-0171-4F45-AE43-4088108906D1.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  41.0 KB

Welcome to the party, pal!

The Honcho is a pretty cool setup. I kinda like the swappable barrels, but I'm happier now that they're available with a la carte barrels. Glad it's working well for you.

And Open is great fun. Ever since I started, I haven't really wanted to shoot any of my other pistols, lol
    Last edited by jbrimlow; 02-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Would love to hear updates on the honcho functionally.

Lot of folks love to hate that design idea

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Would love to hear updates on the honcho functionally.

Lot of folks love to hate that design idea
    So I have now 2000 rounds through the gun which includes a major with 12 stages an 4 local USPSA matches. The gun has run flawless through those. However, a weird issue has arisen from their new silver pvd coating they use. Mine and my buddies were the first one’s I believe that came out with it.

On our initial range outing, we both had trigger issues, the trigger was dead. In inspecting the gun, my buddies disconnector got stuck down caused by tiny microscopic shrapnel that got lodged in the disco. It had a EGW bulbed disconnector. We called PT and they overnighted a new fluted one and it solved the problem. I also had my slide racker screws keep coming loose. It’s one piece so you really cant loctite them as you have to take them on and off to remove the slide. My slide is back and they are fixing that problem. (They claim no screws on the gun need loctite). It appears the new thickness of the silver coating has caused a few unforeseen problems. Their CS has been pretty good in working with us to make everything right.

Since the disconnector was replaced in mine, it has run flawless and to be honest I love the gun. From a mechanical functionality, the gun runs great. Their new lock-up also seems to slightly reduce recoil. I would recommend anyone looking for an open gun to consider this, price wise much better than most and wait time isn’t terrible although it’s now moving to 14-16 weeks, mine was 10. Just don’t get the silver pvd, lol

This is a picture of my buddy shooting his Atlas Chaos doing pairs along with the honcho, using the same ammo. (9 major) It was pretty noticeable in terms of the recoil of the gun so I took a pick to try and show.

Atlas Chaos on top pic, honcho on the bottom.

Name:  B900B681-09A3-45F3-BC72-2EFE01DF7CB5.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  76.2 KBName:  A50B15A4-79DC-40BF-88C2-D9DF0DD365F5.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  76.8 KB

I too am delving into Open Division

I'm interested because I like the look of the race guns. I'm gradually building up my Glock 34 , pictured here. I still need the magwell, Storm Lake four ported barrel, and Johnny Glocks trigger job.

Name:  GLOCK 34 RACE GUN LABELED.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  85.5 KB

Updated pics of my current G34.
    I chose the ring slide racker, so I wouldn't have to remove it on disassembly.
    Same for the higher sight mount.
    Still waiting for the Dawson ICE Magwell.
    Name:  G34 RIGHT 500.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  89.0 KBName:  G34 LEFT 500.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  tp1.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  77.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by IT1 Wes View Post
    Updated pics of my current G34.
    I chose the ring slide racker, so I wouldn't have to remove it on disassembly.
    Same for the higher sight mount.
    Still waiting for the Dawson ICE Magwell.
    Name:  G34 RIGHT 500.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  89.0 KBName:  G34 LEFT 500.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  tp1.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  77.4 KB
    What is the purpose of the ring slide racker?

Nice way to hit the ground running. Interesting design in the lockup, quite GLOCK like.

Reply about ring slide racker.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    What is the purpose of the ring slide racker?
    To quickly and easily rack the slide with 66 year old hands.

Very nice 👍. While not an open shooter, they are fun to watch.

User Tag List