Thread: Dry practice reaction time drill

Dry practice reaction time drill

Reaction time is a personal weakness. I shoot steel matches fairly frequently so every tenth matters.

While dry practicing today, I noticed if I turned my timer's sensitivity all the way up and placed it close enough to my holster it would pick up the sound of my gun sliding against kydex. That allows me measure reaction time fairly directly.

Competition gear. Pocket Pro II timer. Sensitivity all the way up. Random start delay between 1.5s - 3.5s.

Focusing ONLY on reaction time, I started at high 0.5's and worked down to low 0.4's with occasional high 0.3's in about 5 very focused minutes.

I'm curious what y'all think is possible. What are you able to do?
    David S.

I think I will have to try it. Sounds like interesting info to have.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Reaction time is a personal weakness. I shoot steel matches fairly frequently so every tenth matters.

While dry practicing today, I noticed if I turned my timer's sensitivity all the way up and placed it close enough to my holster it would pick up the sound of my gun sliding against kydex. That allows me measure reaction time fairly directly.

Competition gear. Pocket Pro II timer. Sensitivity all the way up. Random start delay between 1.5s - 3.5s.

Focusing ONLY on reaction time, I started at high 0.5's and worked down to low 0.4's with occasional high 0.3's in about 5 very focused minutes.

I'm curious what y'all think is possible. What are you able to do?
    In Ben Stoeger's dry fire book he discusses a similar drill with a par time of 0.4s, "with time to spare". I don't personally think the evidence supports that you will really be able to drive down your reaction time to a sound in a super meaningful way, but you can get better at establishing your grip quickly.

Last night I was hitting his par time with some regularity but I have a pocket pro 2 so I'll try your trick later and see what my times are.

User Tag List