Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: I feel better about Superbowl security

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    SF Bay Ahea
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    @AMC might be better able to speak to it but San Francisco PD has had Officers on dirt bikes to get around in hills, crowds and generally places other vehicles canít go when on foot is too slow for many years. Itís been pretty successful AFAIK.

    Iím not a bike guy but wouldnít a dirt bike type be more versatile than the sport bikes?
    The Honda Unit, even though they might not be on actual Hondas, they are referred to by just about everybody as the Hondas. They're great for crowd control, patrolling GG Park, going down alleys, lurking in the projects. They used to be based at the same building as TAC and EOD. They can get in and out of places that other units can't.

    If the 49ers win, the parade will be a disaster. Getting EMS services to 1 million plus people in the Market Street corridor will be a nightmare.

  2. #22
    Site Supporter Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Here motorcycles are only used for traffic control. Both the sheriff and state patrol use them in that capacity. My neighbor is a sheriff and was recently promoted from traffic. He had a Honda ST1100 for patrol for many years. Everything in his dept was purchased from the state bid list. SP had many ST1100's.

    I don't really care what LE uses or what they use them for but I'm guessing they've figured out what they can afford and what works best by now. I've seen the bid list and what the sheriff was paying for those bikes. It's a good thing people don't know what dealers pay for those.
    Snubbies.....resolving CQC issues since nineteen fiddy.

  3. #23
    keep back 200 feet blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    blue ridge mtns
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Here motorcycles are only used for traffic control. Both the sheriff and state patrol use them in that capacity. My neighbor is a sheriff and was recently promoted from traffic. He had a Honda ST1100 for patrol for many years. Everything in his dept was purchased from the state bid list. SP had many ST1100's.

    I don't really care what LE uses or what they use them for but I'm guessing they've figured out what they can afford and what works best by now. I've seen the bid list and what the sheriff was paying for those bikes. It's a good thing people don't know what dealers pay for those.
    Mine's a '94. Price back then was somewhere around 10-11K as I recall.

    Name:  ST1100.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  70.1 KB
    "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." - John Stuart Mill, 1867

  4. #24
    Site Supporter Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Mine's a '94. Price back then was somewhere around 10-11K as I recall.

    Name:  ST1100.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  70.1 KB
    I don't remember the actual price but every vehicle we purchased was about 25% lower than the best deal I could work if I walked into a dealership off the street. They still buy those ST1100's or whatever they are now. I always wanted one but had too many other recreational interests. Sold my BMW in 94.
    Snubbies.....resolving CQC issues since nineteen fiddy.

  5. #25
    10.3" Master Race TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I should have said assets in place "in Miami". As I'm sure you are aware, the security for the event is extreme and there are national level assets in place there. You've seen this type of setup, and no one is depending on three guys to race around the stadium.

    Lighten the fuck up, Francis.
    I'm sorry if I've offended you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In exile, behind the lines
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    @AMC might be better able to speak to it but San Francisco PD has had Officers on dirt bikes to get around in hills, crowds and generally places other vehicles can’t go when on foot is too slow for many years. It’s been pretty successful AFAIK.

    I’m not a bike guy but wouldn’t a dirt bike type be more versatile than the sport bikes?
    They are part of the Special Operations Division, and their role is exactly what you described. They're used during demonstrations, parades, etc. We're in the process of developing a rifle program for them at the moment, as well. But we have a surprising amount of wooded and hilly areas for a major urban city. But HCM and TGS are right.....this is a tried and true concept. For us, its Kawasaki dirtbikes rather than BMWs, but the idea is the same.

  7. #27
    Member John Hearne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Mississippi
    U.S. Park Police have used dirt bikes for decades. Recently, they went all electric.
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/local/...on-dc/2183190/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

  8. #28
    Site Supporter SeriousStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Practical. I bet the electric ones in the Capital are pretty quiet, too.

    And if I was on duty in Montana, a dirt bike makes a ton of sense.

  9. #29
    Hammertime
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Oh man! I forgot about the requisite explosion. What a good laugh.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •