Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I feel better about Superbowl security

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    @AMC might be better able to speak to it but San Francisco PD has had Officers on dirt bikes to get around in hills, crowds and generally places other vehicles can’t go when on foot is too slow for many years. It’s been pretty successful AFAIK.

I’m not a bike guy but wouldn’t a dirt bike type be more versatile than the sport bikes?
    The Honda Unit, even though they might not be on actual Hondas, they are referred to by just about everybody as the Hondas. They're great for crowd control, patrolling GG Park, going down alleys, lurking in the projects. They used to be based at the same building as TAC and EOD. They can get in and out of places that other units can't.

If the 49ers win, the parade will be a disaster. Getting EMS services to 1 million plus people in the Market Street corridor will be a nightmare.

Here motorcycles are only used for traffic control. Both the sheriff and state patrol use them in that capacity. My neighbor is a sheriff and was recently promoted from traffic. He had a Honda ST1100 for patrol for many years. Everything in his dept was purchased from the state bid list. SP had many ST1100's.

I don't really care what LE uses or what they use them for but I'm guessing they've figured out what they can afford and what works best by now. I've seen the bid list and what the sheriff was paying for those bikes. It's a good thing people don't know what dealers pay for those.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Here motorcycles are only used for traffic control. Both the sheriff and state patrol use them in that capacity. My neighbor is a sheriff and was recently promoted from traffic. He had a Honda ST1100 for patrol for many years. Everything in his dept was purchased from the state bid list. SP had many ST1100's.

I don't really care what LE uses or what they use them for but I'm guessing they've figured out what they can afford and what works best by now. I've seen the bid list and what the sheriff was paying for those bikes. It's a good thing people don't know what dealers pay for those.
    Mine's a '94. Price back then was somewhere around 10-11K as I recall.

Name:  ST1100.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  70.1 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Mine's a '94. Price back then was somewhere around 10-11K as I recall.

Name:  ST1100.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  70.1 KB
    I don't remember the actual price but every vehicle we purchased was about 25% lower than the best deal I could work if I walked into a dealership off the street. They still buy those ST1100's or whatever they are now. I always wanted one but had too many other recreational interests. Sold my BMW in 94.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I should have said assets in place "in Miami". As I'm sure you are aware, the security for the event is extreme and there are national level assets in place there. You've seen this type of setup, and no one is depending on three guys to race around the stadium.

Lighten the fuck up, Francis.
    I'm sorry if I've offended you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    @AMC might be better able to speak to it but San Francisco PD has had Officers on dirt bikes to get around in hills, crowds and generally places other vehicles canÂ’t go when on foot is too slow for many years. ItÂ’s been pretty successful AFAIK.

IÂ’m not a bike guy but wouldnÂ’t a dirt bike type be more versatile than the sport bikes?
    They are part of the Special Operations Division, and their role is exactly what you described. They're used during demonstrations, parades, etc. We're in the process of developing a rifle program for them at the moment, as well. But we have a surprising amount of wooded and hilly areas for a major urban city. But HCM and TGS are right.....this is a tried and true concept. For us, its Kawasaki dirtbikes rather than BMWs, but the idea is the same.

U.S. Park Police have used dirt bikes for decades. Recently, they went all electric.
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/local/...on-dc/2183190/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Practical. I bet the electric ones in the Capital are pretty quiet, too.

And if I was on duty in Montana, a dirt bike makes a ton of sense.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Oh man! I forgot about the requisite explosion. What a good laugh.

User Tag List