Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speer GD 38 Special +P vs DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr HC WC in 1 7/8" & 4" BBLs

Speer GD 38 Special +P vs DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr HC WC in 1 7/8" & 4" BBLs

I went to the range this morning and fired Speer Gold Dot 38 spec. 135gr + P alongside DoubleTap 38 special Match 148gr Hardcast Wadcutter in my wife's S&W M638.

I also fired the Speer Gold Dot 38 spec. 135gr + P in her M64 & my M65.

Unfortunately it was so cloudy and dark that I could not get one chronograph reading. An 'error" messages each shot. I did shoot some groups and was able to compare recoil between the two so I thought I would report.

As you can see in the pictures below they both shot pretty much POA/POI in all three revolvers. Groups are all similar and could be better with some practice. I rarely shoot these revolvers and it shows.

In the M638 the DoubleTap recoil was mild compare to the Speer. I thought both were manageable, both reasonably accurate. (Notice I got two bullets in one hole with the Speer in the M638) I'm sure that regular wadcutters like the Federal Match would recoil less and I'll try some once I find them at a decent price.

It seemed the Speer Gold Dot 38 spec. 135gr + P was just made for the M64. Soft shooting & accurate! A joy to shoot! It did OK in the M65 as well. Thanks to all who recommended it to me!

So the verdict is: For now will use the DoubleTap in the M638 snubby and the Gold Dot in the M64 for a long time to come!

Was all shooting done double action?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Was all shooting done double action?
    Nope, single action.

To bad on the chrono issues. Id be interested in the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    To bad on the chrono issues. Id be interested in the numbers
    Yeah me too. I might try again sometime.

12ft is not very far for checking POA/POI.

Chrono numbers would be cool. Weather here right now is so "inclimate" to chrono setup, would like to see what the numbers are. I live in Idaho and the snow is flying today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Chrono numbers would be cool. Weather here right now is so "inclimate" to chrono setup, would like to see what the numbers are. I live in Idaho and the snow is flying today.
    Hello fellow Idahoan! I live in Caldwell and got a weekend place in Cascade

4given: My favorite point on a Boise trip from Moscow is Cascade. Need to stop and do some exploring on the old Redfish Lake road which is now a primitive. Enjoy your time in Cascade.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I went to the range this morning and fired Speer Gold Dot 38 spec. 135gr + P alongside DoubleTap 38 special Match 148gr Hardcast Wadcutter in my wife's S&W M638.

I also fired the Speer Gold Dot 38 spec. 135gr + P in her M64 & my M65.

Unfortunately it was so cloudy and dark that I could not get one chronograph reading. An 'error" messages each shot. I did shoot some groups and was able to compare recoil between the two so I thought I would report.

As you can see in the pictures below they both shot pretty much POA/POI in all three revolvers. Groups are all similar and could be better with some practice. I rarely shoot these revolvers and it shows.

In the M638 the DoubleTap recoil was mild compare to the Speer. I thought both were manageable, both reasonably accurate. (Notice I got two bullets in one hole with the Speer in the M638) I'm sure that regular wadcutters like the Federal Match would recoil less and I'll try some once I find them at a decent price.

It seemed the Speer Gold Dot 38 spec. 135gr + P was just made for the M64. Soft shooting & accurate! A joy to shoot! It did OK in the M65 as well. Thanks to all who recommended it to me!

So the verdict is: For now will use the DoubleTap in the M638 snubby and the Gold Dot in the M64 for a long time to come!

Target Sports had Fed GMM .38spl wadcutters as of last night.

User Tag List