Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    IMR Target as a substitute maybe?

Never used it but the name implies to me that it is similar to BE.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I tried target. It’s similar but not the same. It wasn’t terrible but I preferred BE.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I tried target. It’s similar but not the same. It wasn’t terrible but I preferred BE.
    Big flakes that meter poorly in small charge weights? Kind of dirty?

9, 38, and 45. Mostly 9.

I've found BE-86 to be an improvement over Bullseye in all of those, except light target loads.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Big flakes that meter poorly in small charge weights? Kind of dirty?

This probably isn't going to help much but it just felt different. Not really blasty but it seemed to have more slide velocity compared to similar bullet velocities from BE. .2 grains less and it felt like it was struggling to run the slide on my 17. It metered fine and burned clean. I only tested 500 rounds total so more experimenting might have produced different results.

As I said, it wasn't bad just different. If it was my only choice I would probably use it again.

I just loaded up 1500 rounds of 124 Xtremes with HP38. I'll burn up the last of the two pounds of that and try to find more BE in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've found BE-86 to be an improvement over Bullseye in all of those, except light target loads.
    I might try that out. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of one pound containers at Cabelas the other day.

Site Supporter
    What are you loading? I've switched to BE-86 for almost everything I used to use Bullseye for.
    Same here. Haven’t used Bullseye in decades....
    BE-86 works well in 9mm, .38, 40, and .45 ACP in my experience.
    Produces service load equivalent velocities in all of the above without any issues.

Site Supporter
    I've switched to BE-86 too, but be aware that it's not a Bullseye-equivalent powder. The burn rate and charge weights are very similar to Unique, but it meters much more nicely.

I meant to ask, what’s the issue with lighter target loads? I’m using 4.2 grains of W231 with a 124 coated bullet as my pet practice load as an example of what I’m referring to.

Site Supporter
    I meant to ask, what’s the issue with lighter target loads? I’m using 4.2 grains of W231 with a 124 coated bullet as my pet practice load as an example of what I’m referring to.
    ^^^That's not a "lighter target load". The load referenced is the traditional .38 Special target load of 2.7-2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain wadcutter, which gave about 700 fps from a six-inch barrel and about 635 fps from a snubby.

No problems. I've just found my target loads in both .38 and .45 to work so well with Bullseye that I haven't bothered changing. However, for service level loads, which is the majority of my shooting these days, I find BE-86 superior.

BE-86 is very similar to Power Pistol, both are derivatives of Bullseye, but not identical. BE-86 could be seen as Power Pistol with flash suppressants added. But again, not identical.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List