Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Into A Dark Star Gear Orion for P30L...

Don’t mean this in the wrong way but,.... why would you need to be talked into using one of the best kydex AIWB holster out on the market?

DSG makes great holsters, I prefer no sweat guard. Get the Koala wile your are it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Mainly just money being finite I do not like wasting it on stuff that ends up not working out... which seems in the world of carry gear to be the vast majority of things I buy end up not being ideal for various reasons. I don't need any more holsters which just need to get resold very quickly after using it, I really don't have the time either to mess with that.

Also, I guess I might have just a touch of leather snob in me and I find it hard coming to terms with spending $100 on a piece of plastic, considering quality leather does not go for much more than that. Maybe there's a coupon code floating about that might set me over the edge that I don't know about, lol. I know you have a great reputation here at the forum, so no concerns there...
    P-F is good for 10%. Should you hate it, that will cover the cost of return shipping. Can't afford to send stuff to everyone for free to try out, but we won't stick ya with $100 worth of plastic you don't like.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

My only complaint about my DSG holsters is that I NEED a Rigel for some hammer fired pistols!! 92, P30, PX4 whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Don’t mean this in the wrong way but,.... why would you need to be talked into using one of the best kydex AIWB holster out on the market?

DSG makes great holsters, I prefer no sweat guard. Get the Koala wile your are it.
    Already posted, but again money is tight and without having tried it having had far too many accounts of 'best .... rig' from others that never worked for me personally I guess the whole 'once bitten twice shy' thing applies here. Speaks nothing to others opinions, only personally with my current situation. The Koala looks quite nice also, though...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    P-F is good for 10%. Should you hate it, that will cover the cost of return shipping. Can't afford to send stuff to everyone for free to try out, but we won't stick ya with $100 worth of plastic you don't like.
    That is a solid offer my friend, thank you very much sir. I love seeing makers stand behind their gear like this, I wish this was the norm in the industry though I know it's not realistic to expect such things. I just tried that code on the website and it comes up as being expired, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Also, I guess I might have just a touch of leather snob in me and I find it hard coming to terms with spending $100 on a piece of plastic, considering quality leather does not go for much more than that.
    There's some stuff you're paying for--not that I know how DSG in particular makes their stuff, but just the market in general. First is the molds, etc--more or less the tooling one needs to produce a Kydex or IMP holster. The guy with the leather shop doesn't have to do that, so especially when you want a synthetic holster for your snowflake gun, your price covers the cost of all that stuff. That's why, if a holster maker sells two grades of a particular holster design (for instance, Blade-Tech's Classic and Signature OWBs), frequently only more common gun models are available on the cheaper one.

The next item is various QC fails, whether it's a customer returning a holster, or the maker pulling one off the line due to a flaw. Leather guys probably have to do this too, from time to time, but I'd imagine the failure rate is higher with Kydex/IMP. And in this particular market niche, outrageous customer service is the norm--again, money.

Third up is testing/development/etc, and it's a little unique to the niche that DarkStar Gear occupies. The reason that you see the same companies get mentioned over and over again on here is that they go out and test their product, and solicit feedback from those among us that go out and take the roll-in-the-dirt classes. That costs money to do.

High-end Kydex/IMP holsters are just different than a leather holster costing the same amount. They're not as pretty, but they do other stuff better than leather can ever dream of. The mouths won't ever collapse on you. Instead of a soft, spongy feel when re-holstering, they're smooth with a positive *click* of retention at the end. They won't trap dust and grit like a leather holster will, won't grow mold, and they'll survive conditions that would destroy a lot of leather. We've all seen some pretty beat-up and worn-out leather that was frankly dangerous to carry with, but I can't think of too many quality Kydex/IMP jobs that have failed. Does plastic feel cheaper than leather? Sure, but it's more utilitarian.

If it makes you feel any better, even outside of DSG's if-you-hate-it policy, look at your holster the way you'd look at a gun purchase. A DSG Orion is a thing that people want--if you change your mind on it six months from now, you'll be able to move it pretty easily for not a lot less than you paid (sorry, DSG). It's like buying an H&K over a Taurus--yeah, the Taurus might only cost $300, but that $300 is friggin' gone once you walk out the door. Good resale on the H&K means, when you shift it, you'll get your money back out.

Get the DSG. You'll like it. Leather's for playing dress-up.

I have...4? 5? DSG holsters from Tom as well as the koala mag pouch. I was a die hard Raven Concealment junkie and the only holster to knock them off the top pedestal was DSG. I've tried everything from the OG Shaggy all the way up to the 5 Shot SME holster and the two that I've been comfortable and enjoy wearing were the RCS Eidolon and the Orion which I'm always using now with the claw attachment. I need to get a muzzle pad but that's only to enhance what is already a comfortable holster. Tom is great at answering questions in a timely manner, even my idiotic ones. Even got a response from him late one night when I had a boneheaded question regarding one of my orders. Can't go wrong with DSG. And their shirts rock as well...you even get a nice surprise with your holster.

@orionz06

I would like to order this with the code you provided, but it is coming up as expired. Can I just send you a copy of my cart and shoot you a PayPal minus the 10% or any ideas why it's not working?

Fixed

Thank you sir, another question for you... just noticed you made an AIWB/Koala combo rig on instagram that was made with white kydex. This is exactly what I think I want but I do not see this option on the website, can it be special ordered and just make a note with my order?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2mOjOIAwNh/
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 02-09-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Order a bright color and leave a note. It may take a week or two to get the material, but it's available.

User Tag List