Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Absent a competition, where would these items be worn? This is not a criticism but a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Absent a competition, where would these items be worn? This is not a criticism but a question.
    In times of... er... unrest, it might be nice to have something handy to throw on quickly. Something more than just a sidearm
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    I have a Hill People Gear Kit Bag: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../1/ProductID/5

I did a run and gun 5k with a rifle and handgun, magazines, flashlight, knife, everything on my body which is pretty close to a real world test of what you're talking about.

I put 2 pistol mags on my belt and one rifle mag. I can easily put 2 more rifle mags in the kit bag with 2 more pistol mags and attach a IFAK. They won't be super fast to access, but that's what the stuff on your belt is for. Also it's high enough that my AIWB holster works with it which Rob_S mentioned.

In between stages I filled my belt pouches from the kit bag on the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    In times of... er... unrest, it might be nice to have something handy to throw on quickly. Something more than just a sidearm
    Ah, gotcha.

I wore a duty belt day in and day out so I went with a war belt setup because I was used to doing everything from a belt. Only reason I got a chest rig was to backfill the mags on my belt so I can continue doing and using what I was used to. "Muscle memory" and all that. Chest rig is nice for carrying extra stuff but I don't use it to fight from. Just load carriage that is out of the way and doesn't interfere with the items on my belt. If you're used to doing everything from a chest rig or LBV, go for it. Just make sure that you don't overload it so you look like Timmy the Tactical Turtle and you'll be fine.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I mentioned it in the OP - but for range use when using a long gun, when taking a carbine/rifle class, or in a civil unrest situation similar to LA Riots or some post Katrina/Ike neighborhood defenses (understanding this may not be the best plan).

With further detail which may apply to many others in similar conditions and my original misread of your post had me thinking "where on my body would these items be worn?" here is my general setup.

Work - Pistol on strong side in ALS at 3 o'clock position, magazine pouch at 9 o'clock worn on a stiff belt with dress trousers. This facilitates the fact that I am seated 90%+ of the time while armed.

EDC - Pistol in JC Kydex at 3 o'clock or Hill People Gear bag depending on what I'm doing.

Range/Competition (I'm only doing occasional "friendly" club matches) - Basically mirrors my work setup with pistol in ALS holster at 3 o'clock and 2x mag pouch at 9 o'clock. Depending on what I'm shooting I will run another mag pouch or shotgun caddy at 10:30, and rifle mag pouch at 8 o'clock. IFAK is at 6 o'clock.

At this point I don't want to add anything else to my belt as I don't have wide hips and fight the affects of gravity quite a bit (especially with a bit of a food tick pushing down). Maybe a duty belt would be the answer but I have yet to come up with a suspenderless way that doesn't have my pants wanting to come down. The vest/bandolier would be used to hold more magazines as well as get some of the weight off my belt.

One thing I like about concealed carry vests, is the velcro inside the pockets of the interior and exterior.

The Concealed Carry Clothiers vest that is basically my go to for 3-seasons of the year, has pockets large enough/deep enough to stash 30-round AR-mags in either exterior pocket, plus two more on the interior. There is room left over for two more pistol mags and/or other gear. I went bird hunting last year and wore it as my hunting vest. Each exterior pocket can hold a box of 12-gauge shells, if you don't mind looking like a chipmunk with acorns in his mouth. A dozen shells in each pocket is no problem at all.

Anyways, if you're thinking low-key, something like this could work right handy.

Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I think it's to do with everything having a specific purpose. If I see a guy in jeans and a t-shirt with a thigh holster on, I immediately think "moron". But if a guy's wearing a plate carrier or has a carbine slung, then the thigh holster isn't retarded, he understands its intended purpose.
    A thigh holster is retarded no matter what, and I don’t know how you can take one that sports that seriously.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One thing I like about concealed carry vests, is the velcro inside the pockets of the interior and exterior.

The Concealed Carry Clothiers vest that is basically my go to for 3-seasons of the year, has pockets large enough/deep enough to stash 30-round AR-mags in either exterior pocket, plus two more on the interior. There is room left over for two more pistol mags and/or other gear. I went bird hunting last year and wore it as my hunting vest. Each exterior pocket can hold a box of 12-gauge shells, if you don't mind looking like a chipmunk with acorns in his mouth. A dozen shells in each pocket is no problem at all.

Anyways, if you're thinking low-key, something like this could work right handy.
    This would likely be the better solution for times of unrest. As we know from some previous disasters like Katrina, unlawful gun confiscation is a very real possibility. So, the guns and gear are better kept out of sight but readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Good tip on the ammo carry!

I'm waiting on the case harden for my 45 Colt Marlin. 24" octagon barrel, same 'smith that built my Ruger.
    Oh we will need to see pictures of that when it is done.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List