Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    IOTV......sorry.....I get it then as your options are extremely limited. I wish they’d come up with something better for you guys.
    It's fine, as Soldiers we don't take each other seriously or our leadership seriously most of the time
    Seriously, though, try a drop holster that's properly adjusted (and not a SERPA) and it's absolutely got its place.

But Mr Cool Guy wearing his Taurus 1911 as a kneepad in a SERPA absolutely deserves the suspicion and scrutiny.

From a defense standpoint, if you have time to get to your rifle, you probably have time to don a vest. They’re also handy in class. SKD Tactical and Creye have a good selection.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Correct.

I’m spending the next year or two of my rifle time focusing primarily on using the AK and learning the mysteries of Gospdin Kalashnikov’s child. Hopefully I can run a couple matches with it and Kalashnikov’ spirit willing - a class. It’s purely a hobbiest need to hold AK mags but I’d like to keep the number of different rigs to a minimum.

Really - my point here is to see if it is worth spending $100 or more on gear that will be useful for my needs. I’m too far along to be fantasizing about battlefield pickups.
    Consider spending that money on distance video coaching from John Shrek McPhee, a legendary ex Delta SGM, one of the few trainers who has actually carried AKs in combat. Membership in his 'school' allows you to ask him any questions you might have, once a month.

When taking a class or when I instructed, I keep it simple. I have a double mag pouch to put on behind my normal setup. As others have said, I then just feed the full magazines into my normal single pouch from the spare double pouch and reload as normal.

Okay I'll tell on myself, I have an Uncle Mikes holster and double mag pouch for when I played the bad guy during force on force. That's the mag pouch I would use. Yes, I'm secure in my manhood. Or at least secure in my Derphood. (: Funny but those crappy pouches/holster have survived hundreds of hours of being smashed into doors, rolling on rocks, bushes, being ripped off my belt by recruits, etc. Other than having pink wax in all the crevices they are going strong. Great for a $35 investment for both. I've broken a bunch of, "Duty/off duty holsters/pouches" but those cheap plastic crap holsters are still going strong 25 years later.

As for needing a rig for social trouble, I don't really have a strong opinion on that. I live in a town of 26 full time residence and shop in a nearby town of 16,000 people. When all heck breaks loose I just drive home while passing the officers at the end of the street(who are closing down the town) and stay there for two to three weeks. As for the apocalypse, I subscribe to slow motion collapse. Sort of like what happens when recessions hit. Crime just gets worse. Maybe I'll remove the 10 round mag and stick a G19 mag in the 26 and carry the same spare G19 extra mag I always do. That's about it. And it's good for me because chest rigs just make me sweat, sweat, sweat. I have a, "go bag" but it's for winter in case of a break down with single digits outside. And that bag is a Jan's Sport book bag that I've owned since '91. Those things are almost bombproof.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post

Okay I'll tell on myself, I have an Uncle Mikes holster and double mag pouch for when I played the bad guy during force on force. That's the mag pouch I would use. Yes, I'm secure in my manhood. Or at least secure in my Derphood. (: Funny but those crappy pouches/holster have survived hundreds of hours of being smashed into doors, rolling on rocks, bushes, being ripped off my belt by recruits, etc. Other than having pink wax in all the crevices they are going strong. Great for a $35 investment for both. I've broken a bunch of, "Duty/off duty holsters/pouches" but those cheap plastic crap holsters are still going strong 25 years later.

Man, it's been so long that I went to look at those holsters/mag pouches in the garage. The good news is, they were not Uncle Mikes. The bad news is, they were Fobus...

Maybe I need to get out to a class. It's been awhile since I've looked at them. LOL.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Being of simple mind and modest resources, a decent single mag pouch with velcro flap, and a surplus commie drum mag shoulder bag that holds about 5 30 rd AR mags is my solution to accessible ammo for whatever reason one chooses to do so. The old Vietnam period 3 mag belt carriers are also simple and easy to use, attach to any belt and just keep 3 mags together compactly and be able to get them out easily.

I used to keep a couple in my truck and shoot 3 mags several times a week when out dog walking. Shoot 3, save 3. Repeat as long as cheap surplus ammo held out. I really miss all the cheap yet decently shootable surplus that was around in '05-'06
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The old Vietnam period 3 mag belt carriers are also simple and easy to use, attach to any belt and just keep 3 mags together compactly and be able to get them out easily.
    Funny. That was the stuff that USMC issued me '87-'91. Frag pouches on each side. IIRC, getting magazines out of those pouches is what led to Magpul's first product.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

After seeing the experiences and habits of guys here (meaning much more experience at uses beyond hunting), I now think of it as the storage spot to refill the single carrier. It was OK for "range use" which is laying on the ground in front of me while shooting at the local spot. I left mags bullets up in them to see if fmj or soft point loads in the carrier. I kept some of both when out and about. fmj for small game and plinking, soft point for varmints, coyotes and jacks. I mostly carried spare mags in pockets when hunting.

I certainly concede to anyones experience on those carriers beyond as vehicle mag containers and range use carriers. I havent used them at a level of high urgency.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-16-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

CWM11B
    A couple of thoughts on the "Shoot me first" vests. I remember the "Photo journalist" vest being a very popular clothing item long before CCW (1995 for NC. Prior to that, No CCW for you, Mr. Citizen) was widespread in this country (back when Banana Republic was mail order only, had a really cool catalog, and actual "travel and safari" clothing). Nobody paid them any attention. I have two of the Concealed Carry Clothiers "tropical" vests and have worn them for over twenty years. Not one time have I been asked if I was packing and I damn sure haven't been 'Kilt in da streetz" wearing them. The first time anyone has ever mentioned anything about it to me was about two years ago. A cashier at Trader Joe's asked if I was going fishing. Someone asked about wearing them in Texas heat. I have never worn mine there (I have been in Austin and the Hill Country in the heat of the summer with about 0% humidity) but I can tell you that where I live, in August it is just as hot as Texas with humidity in the 90% range. It's no more miserable wearing it than anything else. Another point I haven't seen anyone raise is the de-selection process. Lets assume that every potential criminal assailant is so switched on they can recognize "concealment" garments. How many deselect you (big win IMHO) thinking "Damn, they dude/dudette is packing and liable to cap my ass? If someone decides not to take a shot at the title with me based on my clothing, steely eyed look o' death, or whatever, then that's part of the defensive layer and it worked without me having to face all kinds of drama and potential injury/death I want to avoid in the first place. Clint Smith used to have a TR T-shirt with the quote "If you look like food, you will be eaten" on it. Something to mull over.

Belts, gear, and other assorted kit: I have a belt set up that works for me when I'm teaching that was pretty much the way I worked it. I still use it and give not a single damn about what anyone thinks of me or their comments. I made my choices based on over thirty years worth of carrying all kinds of shit in the military, maritime environments, LE patrol and almost twenty years as a SWAT guy in a pretty active agency/team. I also learned a long time ago not to make judgements about others based on their kit. They may be just starting out and don't know what they don't know. Generally, I like to offer suggestions and encouragement IF ASKED. Otherwise, I mind my own business and worry about me. They may be mandated to carry whatever piece of crap kit they have. I know I have been in that situation, and it sucked. They may know a hell of a lot more than I do and their gear makes sense to them for their reasons/experiences. Pat Rogers' "mission drives the gear train" was mentioned above and I wholeheartedly agree.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Works pretty slick when you’re in and out of vehicles all day, doing manual labor while not wanting a pistol butt jamming into your side, or on horseback.

In any of those situations, a chest mounted holster would probably be better, but I didn’t have one, and still don’t.
    Keep in mind, the West was won with drop-legs! Everyone back in the 1800s West was cruising around with thigh-rigs tied down. 20 individual “mag” pouches sewed to their “battle belts “! Except the frontiersmen; they were perfecting the A/IWB game. Their EDC/ carry knife game was flawless as well!!

User Tag List