Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    He's talking about backfilling his "speed reload" rifle pouch, from the chest rig. Not filling his rig with unknown pickup magazines...
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    If you go black on ammo, your mag pouches can carry battlefield pickups? Is that the idea?
    Don't let anyone here stop you from LARPing, the one we've got now might be the last Republican president
    I’m spending the next year or two of my rifle time focusing primarily on using the AK and learning the mysteries of Gospdin Kalashnikov’s child. Hopefully I can run a couple matches with it and Kalashnikov’ spirit willing - a class. It’s purely a hobbiest need to hold AK mags but I’d like to keep the number of different rigs to a minimum.

Really - my point here is to see if it is worth spending $100 or more on gear that will be useful for my needs. I’m too far along to be fantasizing about battlefield pickups.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-07-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    A thigh holster is retarded no matter what, and I don’t know how you can take one that sports that seriously.
    If you've got a better method for carry while wearing a full IOTV with hard and soft armor, plus all required Soldier gear, ammo, IFAK, etc, that doesn't involve putting the pistol on the vest itself and fucking up gear access and offhand emergency draws even more, I'm all ears.

With a full IOTV I've found a *properly configured* thigh holster is very useful. Not the oft-seen kneepad with a weapon in it, but properly riding high enough to put the weapon's grip on the band of your wristwatch or higher on that side. This often starts to block the pants pocket on that side, depending on the Soldier and the collective gear involved.
    Configured like that it clears up the waistline and when going prone, crawling, climbing etc in gear the holster doesn't hang up or pinch against the IOTV or gear mounted on it. It also allows the use of a battle belt below the IOTV if desired.

The kneepad holster effect sucks but it's a result of the institutional aversion to proper pistol training among big Army and across the other branches, with rare niches of exceptions. I instruct proper holster set up when I'm NCOIC'ing a pistol range or otherwise in a position of authority, but I'm powerless to fix the Army as a whole. So common misuse sucks but it doesn't mean the gear is useless, or that anyone who uses it is not to be taken seriously.

I carry via two methods; AIWB in a JMCK Wing Claw, or in a Safariland drop holster. I've gotten myself practiced enough that my muscle memory draw switches to the drop holster when I'm wearing my IOTV/battle rattle, and back to AIWB when I'm not. So if I were to wear a chest rig I'd likely go with my Safariland thigh holster as well, and if I'm wearing a chest rig I'd probably have a rifle, too. It all falls together for me, but I practice both ways as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Correct.

I’m spending the next year or two of my rifle time focusing primarily on using the AK and learning the mysteries of Gospdin Kalashnikov’s child. Hopefully I can run a couple matches with it and Kalashnikov’ spirit willing - a class. It’s purely a hobbiest need to hold AK mags but I’d like to keep the number of different rigs to a minimum.

Really - my point here is to see if it is worth spending $100 or more on gear that will be useful for my needs. I’m too far along to be fantasizing about battlefield pickups.
    I wish I was home - I've got a bin full of 4 and 5 cell Hungarian canvas AK magazine pouches that work wonderfully for this kind of thing. They've got a shoulder strap and belt loops so they grab and carry quick and easy, and they look more like a vintage hipster man bag than a magazine pouch. I'll happily send you one or two this summer if you're interested.

Thank God we (USMC) don't issue the IOTV... Our place carriers integrate with belt mounted kit decently I suppose. I've moved away from the drop leg set up while still using a Safariland 6378ALS M9 holster mounted to a G-Code plate and drop belt hanger, no leg strap. Works pretty well and just clears the PC cummerbund without any issue. Being left handed can be a issue with holsters in front passenger seats of armored Humvee's, not as many issues in the JLTV's as they come on line. the 6004 series holster still sees plenty of use with other though and is perfectly serviceable for .mil stuff. Not sure what the final choice is going to be as we as a service transition to the Sig M18's but we are going away from the SERPA...., I've heard from guys at MARCORSYSCOM that G Code's, Safarilands, and the new Blackhawk series are in the running, I don't really have a huge issue with any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    A thigh holster is retarded no matter what, and I don’t know how you can take one that sports that seriously.
    Typically when people speak in absolutes that just exposes their lack of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I have two chest rigs, one setup for AK mags and another for AR mags.
    I'm either too cheap or too poor to get separate mag pouches, so I only own AK pouches. I cut spacer blocks out of closed cell foam to place AR magazines into the correct position in the pouch.

HSGI Tacos are amazing and universal.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm either too cheap or too poor to get separate mag pouches, so I only own AK pouches. I cut spacer blocks out of closed cell foam to place AR magazines into the correct position in the pouch.
    My AK setup is a NOS Chicom Type 56 rig in their version of Woodland camo. Cost me $29 from an old timer on the AK Files years ago. The pouches are too deep to use AR mags unless we're talking 40 rounders.

I'm using a Haley D3CRX for AR stuff, it was more than $29 but I think I paid a hundo for it on a Black Friday sale a few years ago.

Some Thoughts

Some brief thoughts:

Y’all may see me in a Mayflower or First Spear rig, because there is armor inside them. I bought them while I was a big-city LEO; no LARP’ing intended. I actually wore the Mayflower rig, full-time, with plates and IIIA backers, for most of my final year on patrol, before retirement. My First Spear Strandhogg only has IIIA Kevlar panels.

If I hear gunfire in the neighborhood, especially from the direction of the nearby school, I will probably armor-up. I keep an oversized hoody, non-military appearance, hanging near the armor.

If we suspect poachers have returned to some wooded rural land, owned by my wife’s family, I will armor-up, while there. That ain’t LARP’-ing

I have seen some ridiculously-dangling, floppy drop-leg rigs, but believe that a well-thought-out drop leg rig has its place. I was not authorized to wear a drop-leg rig, and my armor did not extend below belt level, anyway, so did not adopt one. i fully support what members JRB and rbusmc24 said, above, regrading lower pistol holster rigs.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    When I lived in Arkansas in the 1990’s, INS would raid the chicken processing plants regularly and frequently. Pictures of the raid in the newspaper always showed them in jeans with thigh holsters that could more accurately be called knee holsters, and no body armor that extended anywhere near that holster. I always questioned the advantages.

I do understand dropping a holster a few inches lower to better clear body armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Oh we will need to see pictures of that when it is done.
    Agree. Pics of both the Marlin and the Ruger.

I find myself wanting a 4 5/8” convertible 45 Colt/ACP Blackhawk with a one piece grip conversion, Bowen sights, case hardened frame, etc... and a companion Marlin 1894 16” in 45 Colt. Someday, someday.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The kneepad holster effect sucks but it's a result of the institutional aversion to proper pistol training among big Army and across the other branches, with rare niches of exceptions. I instruct proper holster set up when I'm NCOIC'ing a pistol range or otherwise in a position of authority, but I'm powerless to fix the Army as a whole. So common misuse sucks but it doesn't mean the gear is useless, or that anyone who uses it is not to be taken seriously.
    Oh God how I know the frustration you feel. I guess things have not changed in 20 years........

At least we have the new M17 which apparently changes modern land warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I wish I was home - I've got a bin full of 4 and 5 cell Hungarian canvas AK magazine pouches that work wonderfully for this kind of thing. They've got a shoulder strap and belt loops so they grab and carry quick and easy, and they look more like a vintage hipster man bag than a magazine pouch. I'll happily send you one or two this summer if you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer, I will let you know if I haven't come up with a system by then.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    HSGI Tacos are amazing and universal.
    Agreed, I have a belt mounted pouch that I purchased for my AK mags and it's working out well so far.

User Tag List