Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Back when they were all the rage I stupidly purchased an "airsoft quality" tactical vest as I wanted to get into some carbine matches and when I left the Guard I had to give back my LBV-88. I didn't want to run around in my old LBE so I purchased this crap vest. I didn't use it as much as I thought I would instead I went to belt mounted magazine pouches and a lower profile. I still kept the vest ready with loaded magazines and a blow out kit in the event I quickly needed to "grab and go" - somewhat analogous to an active shooter vest without the plates.

The other day I was inspecting the vest I noticed that the "high quality" and way over-priced Chinese fabric had deteriorated the in intense sun of my small single window garage and was basically falling apart so it's time to s-can the thing. The question is do I replace it with a higher quality vest or is it simply a waste of money that will get me "killed in the street."

I'm not envisioning fighting the "Battle of Cheyenne" as the elder mentor to a group of high school age freedom fighters, but I do see a potential need to secure my neighborhood in a post disaster scenario much like in the days after Katrina and Ike.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a surplus LBV-88 for $15 and calling it good.

Any good arguments for spending more?

I have a small Eagle chest panel that holds 3 mags and is pretty darn handy for gun games and classes. I googled to find you an example and I think this is the one I have: http://www.firearmsinsider.tv/gun-ge...molle-le-style

I use a unity clutch and I cant say enough good things about it. Good for classes, range, competition or serious use. Small and easy to throw on, mine is set up to hold two AR mags, two pistol mags, a turniquet, small notebook, pen and a dump pouch. The clutch sits next to my rifle by the side of my bed for home defense use as well. I find it to be a very practical piece of gear.

I wanted a set up for pretty much the same reason you mention. I settled on the Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rig. It holds three M4 mags and it will accommodate two other pouches. I attached a pistol mag pouch and an IFAK. They run about $90, so are not cheap, but BIG stuff is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I do see a potential need to secure my neighborhood in a post disaster scenario much like in the days after Katrina and Ike.
    That's a bad idea. One thing I wouldn't have done after any hurricane I've been through is secure my neighborhood looking like a wannabe. LE literally convoys in, and after days or weeks of working endless 12s, they are not joyful.

Having worn that shit for work, I've really never had a desire to wear it for anything else. When I shot non-USPSA "tactical" 3 gun matches I carried everything on my belt and did just fine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have a chest rig for when I shoot three gun, it is stacked 6 ar mags & 4 pistol mags and a med kit, also have the hydration carrier on the back which has proved to be beneficial during matches a belt mounted dump pouch carries the shotgun ammo ....
    Living in a restricted capacity state I sometimes need to use 4 or more mags during a stage... otherwise I would utilize a battle style belt setup for our smaller local matches.

A basic, lightweight, 3-4 mag chest-rig is a fantastic tool in a class. Over the last few years trends seem towards people trying to out-do one another in how un-tactical they can appear at a class, but I love having my spare mags close at hand. If you’re concerned about “train like fight” sorts of things, use the chest rig to back-feed your belt pouch, pocket, ass-crack, or other “real world” mag carriage of your choosing.

I’m partial to this one, perhaps because I helped design it.
    https://store.usgruntgear.com/m1rarelitrma.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I wanted a set up for pretty much the same reason you mention. I settled on the Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rig. It holds three M4 mags and it will accommodate two other pouches. I attached a pistol mag pouch and an IFAK. They run about $90, so are not cheap, but BIG stuff is solid.
    I chose the BFG 10-speed bandolier. I have 3 mags on one side and the contents of a TacMed DOK +combat gauze split among the other pouches.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

A Hill People Gear Heavy Recon Kit bag with a Blue Force Gear triple mag shingle on the front can hold three mags and various other sundries, and be donned pretty damn quick.

In any realistic scenario, if you dump the mag in the rifle, plus the three on the kit bag, you won't just be in the encyclopedia, they'll write a book about just you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    ready with loaded magazines and a blow out kit in the event I quickly needed to "grab and go" - somewhat analogous to an active shooter vest without the plates.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a surplus LBV-88 for $15 and calling it good.

That LBV looks really bulky, how much other gear do you need to carry?
    3-4 mags, med kit, radios, phones, binos, batteries, anything else?

How about something like this (I haven't used this myself):
    https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore...fo.description

Cheap, made in USA, lightweight, easy to take on and off
    easy to sit in a car while worn
    can be worn underneath a jacket to keep it hidden

edit: That BFG TenSpeed Chest rig looks perfect, the flat shoulder straps allow you to wear a backpack over it comfortably unlike the chest rig I linked to.

User Tag List