Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vests, Chest Rigs, and Bandoliers - Useful or just LARP'ing?

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Chest rigs are kinda like single-point slings - a trend caused by the necessities of vehicle-mounted ops and counterinsurgency type warfare.

It took quite a few scarred kneecaps and needlessly dangling rifles for people to realize that two-point adjustables are far superior to single-points for pretty much every application outside of vehicle-borne door kicking, and much like that scenario, you will in all likelihood find that having a classic belt rig that is either simply a so-called "battle belt" or belt+suspenders to be far more practical than having magazines on your chest.
    Totally disagree. In the scale of larpiness (with 0 being least Larpy, 10 being most larpy), “battle” belts are a 12 while a properly utilized chest rig is maybe a 2. And that’s only because being at a carbine class to begin with carries a built-in level of Larp that can’t be avoided...

I just a single mag carrier to put behind my spare pistol mag on the weak side. Can be covered with the cover garment for somewhat concealment.

Carried bullets to the rear for a beer can grip.

A 40 round Pmag in the gun and a 30 on the belt plus 15 in the pistol with an extra mag or two is a lot of shit for around here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Totally disagree. In the scale of larpiness (with 0 being least Larpy, 10 being most larpy), “battle” belts are a 12 while a properly utilized chest rig is maybe a 2. And that’s only because being at a carbine class to begin with carries a built-in level of Larp that can’t be avoided...
    I prefer a “battle belt” to a chest rig for spot and stalk hunting in the woods in the southeast. It makes an easy transition from bow to rifle hunting, since anything on your chest can create string interference. HSGI tacos can hold a range finder, multi tool or flashlight if you don’t have a need for extra magazines.

Ten years ago if a civvy wore a chest rig they were considered a mall ninja. People that used a battle belt were considered more professional somehow. Now, it's apparently the other way around. Whatever becomes popular or trendy is automatically targeted by contrarians. When a small group of people are doing it, there's a bit of "in the know" elitism, which is cool bro. But, as soon as it catches on and becomes mainstream, it's lame. Time to go back to the other thing that people left behind, then we're retro cool.

That certainly seems like the tactical circle of life. It's happened with 1911's at least a dozen times.

I carry a lever action rifle, with spare ammo wrapped in a silk bandanna and stuffed in my back pocket.

Posers.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Ten years ago if a civvy wore a chest rig they were considered a mall ninja. People that used a battle belt were considered more professional somehow. Now, it's apparently the other way around. Whatever becomes popular or trendy is automatically targeted by contrarians. When a small group of people are doing it, there's a bit of "in the know" elitism, which is cool bro. But, as soon as it catches on and becomes mainstream, it's lame. Time to go back to the other thing that people left behind, then we're retro cool.

That certainly seems like the tactical circle of life. It's happened with 1911's at least a dozen times.
    Yup.

When I got my first chest rig, we had soft armor only which could be worn in a slick carrier intended to be worn under a uniform shirt and outer carriers with permanently sewn pockets for handcuffs, flashlights etc. Throwing a chest rig over the slick carrier was a quick way to have everything ready to go on short notice or to have an adequate number of mags on your person during a class.

Nowadays MOLLE carriers for soft armor and MOLLE plate carriers to go over slick armor are "the way" in conjunction with a battle belt.

I still have a chest rig in the door pocket or hanging from the headrest in my work vehicle for a time when I might not have time to dig armor out of a lock box. Size and "grab and go" form factor are two reasons. Another is a TQ, flashlight and a couple couple AR and Glock mags are relatively expendable compared to body armor in the event of a break in. I mostly use it like the DSG Arms "ranger rack" though, i.e. a handy driver's door panel insert for mags.

For day to day stuff, I have one of those Safariland AR mag belt pouches with their knock off of the tek lok that I can throw on my normal pants belt quick. I figure if the guys on the bin laden raid were good with 120 rounds, 60 is plenty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I carry a lever action rifle, with spare ammo wrapped in a silk bandanna and stuffed in my back pocket.

Posers.

Good tip on the ammo carry!

I'm waiting on the case harden for my 45 Colt Marlin. 24" octagon barrel, same 'smith that built my Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

Posers.

Now here is the statement of a Man among Men.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

I think it's to do with everything having a specific purpose. If I see a guy in jeans and a t-shirt with a thigh holster on, I immediately think "moron". But if a guy's wearing a plate carrier or has a carbine slung, then the thigh holster isn't retarded, he understands its intended purpose.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    A basic, lightweight, 3-4 mag chest-rig is a fantastic tool in a class. Over the last few years trends seem towards people trying to out-do one another in how un-tactical they can appear at a class, but I love having my spare mags close at hand. If you’re concerned about “train like fight” sorts of things, use the chest rig to back-feed your belt pouch, pocket, ass-crack, or other “real world” mag carriage of your choosing.

I’m partial to this one, perhaps because I helped design it.
    https://store.usgruntgear.com/m1rarelitrma.html
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Rob S has a good point, recently being anti tactical seems to be the "new tactical thing" . But this can become problematic very quickly in a class setting. I typically conduct all of my reloads from a belt mounted pouch, and back fill that pouch with mags carried elsewhere on my body as I get a chance to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    That LBV looks really bulky, how much other gear do you need to carry?
    3-4 mags, med kit, radios, phones, binos, batteries, anything else?

edit: That BFG TenSpeed Chest rig looks perfect, the flat shoulder straps allow you to wear a backpack over it comfortably unlike the chest rig I linked to.

This is going to be the route I'll most likely take. I already have a fair amount invested in Blade Tech and High Speed Gear pouches and like the low profile this offers but the ability to back fill from and carry other gear on the chest is what I need. The BFG 10-speed looks like the right option for me to hold a couple mags and some additional gear without being bulked out and being a Larry Vickers inspired product is no doubt capable of working with AK mags.

Interesting comments about the recent drive NOT to look tactical - I havent' been to a class in years but I sense that trend on the forums.

One other option I was thinking about was to use my ubiquitous "photographer vest" (I have the True-Spec) to carry extra magazines in the pockets "Paul Harrell" style but it seems the magazines are likely to rattle around inside the pockets and be a harder to get at.

Also on the spectrum of LARP, where does such a vest put you?

And plates are a whole other subject I have yet to try and decide on..........

Again - I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful and informed replies.....

User Tag List