Thread: Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger vs 5.11 Rush Moab 10

Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger vs 5.11 Rush Moab 10

I'm looking for an EDC gear bag, and I'm curious about first hand experiences with either of the two mentioned. I'm primarily concerned with build quality, ease-of-use in real life, and CCW use. The ability to carry a change of clothes and a lap-top (13") are highly desirable.

I appreciate your time and help with this!

Slainte!
    Mntneer357

I had a Sitka, and sold it to upgrade to the Kodiak, which is essentially the same but larger.

One thing I like about maxpedition is the availability of the S-types, which puts the strap on your right shoulder. They seem to be regarded as "left handed" but I think they are superior for right handed use. If you carry the bag in conjunction with a belt holster, it means the strap crosses from upper right to lower left, which results in less interference with a draw from either traditional strong side carry or from AIWB. Also the tightness of that strap can cause some extra printing too. Further, when rotating the bag from back to side/front for access, this way it doesn't cross over the gun and potentially block it or expose it by pulling up the cover garment. It can also hang accessible on your left side which is better if you need to access it one handed while your gun is out in your right hand.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Maxpedition build quality is significantly better than 5.11's.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I am with LOKNLOAD on the SType versions for single strap bags.

I prefer a 2 strap if I'm going anything large enough to carry a laptop, but I have neck/back issues so that's a major factor.

Maxped build quality is definitely better than 5.11 on most things. Though I do have a Moab, and the quality on it is better than some of the other 5.11 stuff I've handled.

I'm really liking Vanquest gear right now, in that price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aren't these a little obvious, ala a photographer vest, that you're carrying a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Aren't these a little obvious, ala a photographer vest, that you're carrying a gun?
    Last time I was in an airport, all kinds of folks were carrying MOLLE-covered bags. Most of them had short haircuts, but by no means all. No one was getting strip searched for their gear. So, no, I'd say not.

FWIW, I used a MOAB 6 as my EDC for a while, and I concur that for the dextral ( as opposed to the sinistral) over-the-right-shoulder works better if one is carrying on the right side.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

The Voodoo Tactical Level III discrete pack that I received for Christmas has seen limited use so far but is treating me well.

The version I have is black with tan zippers and has small amounts of molle webbing on the side. It does have double straps so that may be a deal killer and I am not sure about the laptop.
    http://www.voodootactical.eu/voodoo-...level-iii-pack
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Maxpedition build quality is significantly better than 5.11's.
    This.
    #RESIST

I have a good experience with my Vanquest backpack.

This is a bit of a random bump, but I fell victim to "oh teh closeouts!" clickbait, and remembered this (fairly) recent thread when i saw this pricing on S-Type Sitkas at LAPG:
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-maxpe...arslinger.html $89 > $130 if you just want to give something a try.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List