Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SafeLife Defense FRAS

SafeLife Defense FRAS

Hi,I was curious what the consensus on this new armor is. I see that it supposedly meets Lvl3 NIJ 06 standards, however it doesn't list it being tested with. 308 fmj rounds. It also states "stops 7.62x39" and yet doesn't list a test for that either. It has a stated weight of 16 lbs. Thoughts? My brother is a city officer and was interested in this,he currently uses Safariland Hardwire soft armor for patrol. Thanks!

I looked at it & tried it on at SHOT. It is noticeably heavier and less flexible than a conventional concealed vest.

Looking at photos of it with a cover but not in a carrier reminds me of DragonSkin. There were significant ballistic issues with that design but the two gentlemen in the SafeLife booth insist it is different.

I would want to see independent testing with 5.56mm (M193 & M855), 7.62x39 (softcore & steel core), as well as .308 and .270.

Is he already wearing 10x12 plates under his shirt. Because if he was serious about rifle protection he’d already be sucking it up and making it happen. If he’s not it’ll amount to a 16 pound novelty that gets worn for two weeks.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Google the company's address. Do street view and ask yourself if that address inspires confidence in the product. The video that shows the vest being shot shows 5.56 shots and 7.62x51 shots and THEN the spokesperson states, "It even stops AK-47 rounds." I would want to know who actually manufactures the ballistic materials and what of what materials they are constructed. One of my FIs saw the product and noted that many, many Feds have purchased this and it's the new hotness. I pointed out that DragonSkin was purchased by a number of USG entities who later wound up with egg on their face. To properly manufacture body armor, IMO, requires more than a small-business footprint with rigorous independent testing and quality control, not some guy who believes an AK round penetrates more than a 5.56 round.

Defense Lawyers
    Real Estate Agents
    Used Car Salesmen
    Unlicensed Street-Corner XANAX Dealers
    Body Armor Industry

That's the order of credibility, in my experience, from top to bottom, that you can assign to claims about their products or services. There is no trust when it comes to body armor manufacturer claims by large, well-established makers like Safariland and Point Blank. Some guy with and address of Unit #4 might have discovered the Holy Grail of body armor that will revolutionize the industry and I might run a marathon this year or get elected President.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Defense Lawyers
    Real Estate Agents
    Used Car Salesmen
    Body Armor Industry

That's the order of credibility, ...
    Err, you forgot congress and the media.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

...or get elected President.
    I can promise you one vote.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I can promise you one vote.
    I'm counting on all the Bernie Bros after the DNC shanks him, again.

I'm counting on all the Bernie Bros after the DNC shanks him, again.
    You'll have AOC going for you, which is nice.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Google the company's address. Do street view and ask yourself if that address inspires confidence in the product. The video that shows the vest being shot shows 5.56 shots and 7.62x51 shots and THEN the spokesperson states, "It even stops AK-47 rounds." I would want to know who actually manufactures the ballistic materials and what of what materials they are constructed. One of my FIs saw the product and noted that many, many Feds have purchased this and it's the new hotness. I pointed out that DragonSkin was purchased by a number of USG entities who later wound up with egg on their face. To properly manufacture body armor, IMO, requires more than a small-business footprint with rigorous independent testing and quality control, not some guy who believes an AK round penetrates more than a 5.56 round.

Defense Lawyers
    Real Estate Agents
    Used Car Salesmen
    Body Armor Industry

That's the order of credibility, in my experience, from top to bottom, that you can assign to claims about their products or services. There is no trust when it comes to body armor manufacturer claims by large, well-established makers like Safariland and Point Blank. Some guy with and address of Unit #4 might have discovered the Holy Grail of body armor that will revolutionize the industry and I might run a marathon this year or get elected President.
    I'm not understanding the dig on their address.

SafeLife:
    Name:  SafeLife.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  44.1 KB

Crye Precision:
    Name:  Crye.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  81.6 KB

Why would the address reflect anything on the capabilities of the company? Their armor probably isn't made there....probably isn't even made by them. Like almost every other armor company in the US, they're probably a reseller of armor made to their specifications by one of the few companies in the US that actually make armor (similar to AR15s, really). Their "corporate address" is just for office space, and in their case since they're a smaller business also most likely where they are shipping from.

With that said, I have a huge problem with the armor not being independently tested and the results very clearly published. Even if it's a special threat rating and not NIJ, there needs to be some assurance other than the incredibly ambiguous claim to stop .223/5.56. They don't even specify what type 223/5.56 rounds it stops.

What feds are buying this armor?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

#RESIST

User Tag List