Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I found out Sig pistol accuracy standard is a joke

Site Supporter
    Cool data. Looks like the pistol is defective.

The options are

trade it
    sell it
    hope sig fixes it
    do nothing.

Let us know how it goes.

@mrozowjj

I've also had lousy experience with Sig CS. I have a P229 9mm (long extractor, 2015 production) that has extraction failures 1-2 per 100 rounds. Sig has already serviced the pistol and replaced extractor springs, called it GTG. Of course the issue remains. They subsequently claim the pistol is beyond warranty date which as we all know is BS. They insist the pistol is just fine. my three P320's went in for "upgrade" and I was displeased with the nature of machining of the disconnect notch. essentially the new OOB disconnect safety was nonfunctional. Again Sig CS claimed everything was GTG and fine. I offered Sig to post my findings to social media at which time a supervisor at Sig CS called me back 30 min later offering to replace all 3 of my slides. My experience with Sig is that they no longer care to sell reliable firearms to the civ market. They just don't. Instead they drive civ sales by marketing scams like "legion".

my suggestion to you would be to call Sig CS back again and give them no option but to issue another RMA. If they refuse then demand to speak with a supervisor. Offer to post your findings to social media. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Still not working? Just keep annoying the shit out of them. Being repetitive helps. My goal with defective firearms is to make the manufacturer hemorrhage $$ into shipping costs so they learn a lesson. It's cheaper and wiser for them to make their customer happy than to run a propaganda campaign. It's BS that I've had to take this route but businesses like Sig leave the buyer no options. I have not purchased a Sig product since late 2016 and plan to never again. A used Sig pistol I'm fine acquiring as it gives little to no $$ to Sig.

Today I found out Sig pistol accuracy standard is a joke
    Sig is a joke.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've probably told this story before, but, back circa 2008, in advance of my agency's transition to the P229R DAK, I bought a factory new P229R DAK to get familiar with the pistol. The gun I bought had multiple reliability issues out of the box, so I returned it to Sig. They couldn't make it work, so they sent a replacement. The replacement had a HUGE gap in the backstrap of the grip, because the grip screw "bushings" were machined off true - returned it for a replacement pistol. At this point, possibly because I was communicating directly with the LE Sales guy from my work address, I was promised a "hand picked" P229R DAK as a replacement. The pistol I got had the worst trigger I've ever felt - literally felt like someone poured a handful of sand/metal shavings in the action after it was put together. Trigger pull on the "tensioned" DAK trigger was in excess of 12 pounds on my trigger scale. I sent that one back and got a refund from Sig for the initial purchase price of the first pistol.

Fast forward to last year, when, based on input from folks I trust, I decided to give Sig another try. I bought two Sigs in short order. The first was a P320 Pro Carry (the LE only SKU). Nice feeling pistol, but it would result in a dead trigger after disassembly and reassembly because of tolerance stacking in the FCU. I called Sig about it, and was told, over the phone, that dead trigger can happen, and I should just rack the slide vigorously multiple times after reassembly, and that "should" reset the trigger. When I asked to speak to a manager in CS, they hung up on me. Second call reached someone with two active brain cells, and, after 30+ minutes of "trouble shooting" over the phone, they agreed to have the pistol returned for a look. In their defense, they paid the shipping and repair, and had it back to me in about a week, but, by that point I was soured on the pistol and sold it off with full disclosure after ensuring that Sig had, in fact, addressed the issue.

I also bought a P365 (LE SKU) around the same time. It needed to go back for a dead front NS, and for multiple FTRB issues. Again, they paid shipping both ways and fixed the problems, but I decided twice bitten, twice shy, and sold it off as well after ensuring it was functioning properly.

So, I'm not surprised to hear that Sig's "standards" for accuracy are less than what we'd like. Full disclosure, I've also had problems, including accuracy issues, with multiple GLOCKs over the years, so it's not JUST a Sig problem. It just seems that you're much more likely to find an issue with Sig, and get $h1+ response from CS when you dial in...

The type of customer service @psalms144.1 described pretty much mirrors what agencies around me have experienced and why I'm so sour (get it... ) on the brand. SIG back in the day used to have some of the nicest and most reliable guns out of the box and quite a few of those old "classic" SIGs are still providing great service at my department. Pretty much any of the old stamped-steel slide guns from the mid-1990's will just plain shoot, no matter how rattly they are, and will continue to do so damn near forever as long as they are properly maintained.

Anecdotally...so take that for what it's worth...

In 2013, we had a department owned M&P 40 that would not hold a group. It shot right around 5" at 7 yards from rest no matter who was shooting it and as a firearms staff we considered it unacceptable (groups were significantly spread at 25 yards...the distance our department qualification starts from). I called S&W customer service (not a special LE line, factory rep, or anything like that), described the issue over the phone and talked with the rep less than 5 minutes, they gave me an RMA and e-mailed me a shipping tag, I sent it off, had the gun back in about a week with a new slide and barrel fitted and the gun had been test fired and included a target from the factory. No more problems. We had an old 2008 M&P this past year (an eleven year old beat to hell gun) that developed a crack in the slide. Guess what? Same process and had the gun back in about a week with a brand new slide. No drama. Easy peasy.

That folks is customer service. I have dozens of stories similar to that involving both Glock and S&W. I know both those companies are perfectly capable of putting out crap guns. There are examples all over the internet, but a S&W M&P is a S&W M&P, is a S&W M&P. The regular M&P's you buy at any gun shop aren't made from different parts than the ones sold to any LE agency. When there are quality control issues with a S&W they fix it.

There is a reason lots of guys that were around for SIG's slide in quality in the mid-2000's don't trust them...especially LE folks that have been burned by them (not hard to find). I described in the P320 thread elsewhere on this forum what I have seen from them and so have others. Trust is hard to earn and easily lost. How does that go, "Fool me once..."

I recently had to shoot my p226 and p229 off the bench because I swapped their rear sights to warren tacs and was trying to figure out which height front sights to get.

Both grouped about 2” @ 20yards with HST’s. I am not really a group shooter as much as a noise maker though.

I do get your frustration with their CS. I complained to sig about my mk-25 barrel being all ringed and poorly finished on the inside. They told me it was normal.

Wasn’t exactly happy and later bought a new barrel. I get it that no company is perfect, but IMO they could stand to be a bit more accommodating...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    I recently had to shoot my p226 and p229 off the bench because I swapped their rear sights to warren tacs and was trying to figure out which height front sights to get.

Both grouped about 2” @ 20yards with HST’s. I am not really a group shooter as much as a noise maker though.

I do get your frustration with their CS. I complained to sig about my mk-25 barrel being all ringed and poorly finished on the inside. They told me it was normal.

Wasn’t exactly happy and later bought a new barrel. I get it that no company is perfect, but IMO they could stand to be a bit more accommodating...
    I would not be happy with that at all. I spent $500 on my 2013 Beretta 92FS and the lands and grooves look pretty as a picture. If I spent 800-1000 for that stutter-grooving I would be grumpy.

Might not be unfair to compare, since I think Beretta barrels are pretty consistently some of the finest out there. But again, at Mk.25 prices, I'd expect 'em to make it right.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The Sig tech that I've been emailing called me about an hour ago. He showed my data to my his supervisor and the supervisor agrees that while it technically meets factory spec there is something wrong with the gun and I did my due diligence so they want to take a look at it; he emailed me a Fedex label and I get to send this very same gun back to Sig for the second time. I hope they fix it but I'll have to wait a few weeks to find out.

They had it back already in November because I was nearing the end of a range session and the trigger went dead. I pulled the slide off wondering if maybe I could see what the problem is and I saw this:

Name:  Broken Trigger Bar.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  57.6 KB

So a gun I've had for about 5 months has been back to Sig twice already.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    The Sig tech that I've been emailing called me about an hour ago. He showed my data to my his supervisor and the supervisor agrees that while it technically meets factory spec there is something wrong with the gun and I did my due diligence so they want to take a look at it; he emailed me a Fedex label and I get to send this very same gun back to Sig for the second time. I hope they fix it but I'll have to wait a few weeks to find out.

They had it back already in November because I was nearing the end of a range session and the trigger went dead. I pulled the slide off wondering if maybe I could see what the problem is and I saw this:

Name:  Broken Trigger Bar.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  57.6 KB

So a gun I've had for about 5 months has been back to Sig twice already.
    Be optimistic, maybe Sig will ship you a NIB Pistol that is very accurate.

Believe me when I say that I understand your frustration, as does everyone who participated in the thread I am sure. Man!! That's a lot of brass shavings!! I am glad SIG is looking to get the damn thing straightened out finally, and that all your due diligence seems to be paying off.

Please keep us posted, and the best of luck to you.

User Tag List