Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I found out Sig pistol accuracy standard is a joke

Today I found out Sig pistol accuracy standard is a joke

I'm going to get this out right up front before I get into the story:

Sig Sauer pistol accuracy standards is 2.5" at 10 yards fired from a bench.

I'm going to let that one sink in. Across the board all guns are measured to that standard. Buy a $1500 Sig P210 Target? That's the standard. Has to be worse than that to be considered a problem. Just to be clear I'm not saying Sig accuracy sucks across the board; I'm sure some of their guns have great accuracy; I'm saying the standard which they use to measure is unacceptable.

The story:
    I shot a Sig P320 X5 Legion back in September. It was incredible to shoot and I had to have one. I bought one in Oct. Right out of the gate the accuracy was disappointing but not dramatically so; just outside the realm of what I find is acceptable for what is supposedly a target/competition gun. I thought it was me learning the gun, trigger, sights etc. It still performs well when I went to shoot plate racks at 10 yards.

(As an aside within the first 500 rounds in the trigger bar breaks. Straight up breaks at the end of the range session; gun is inoperable. I call Sig they have me send it in and replace it. Took about 8 days total which is great customer service.)

I decide to mount a red dot to it. I get a Springer Precision plate and mount a Holosun. I take it to the range and put it on a bench at 25 yards to sight it in. Gun is all over the place at 25 yards. Like 7-8" at 25 yards so I can't get a zero on the dot. I assume the dot is the culprit and call Holosun and 10 minutes later I have an email with a return label. I mail the dot to them.

A little less than 2 weeks later I get the dot back. This past weekend I try to sight it in at 20 yards and I'm getting 6" which isn't great. (BTW on the same day I do this I bring my Sig P365 and I basically get the same size group off hand with the P365 as I did with the P320 X5 Legion from a rest) Now I start thinking maybe it's the ammo? Well the same ammo did good in my P365 so I scratch my head but still Ammo is the culprit

I decide to call Sig to find out what kind of ammo they use to test these guns because I want to see if maybe it is the ammo. The tech on the phone tells me they use a wide variety of ammo and then tells me they test it at 10 yards and I'm gobsmacked. He agrees to email me the target they use to test for accuracy. This is the target:

Name:  target.jpg
Views: 3965
Size:  25.9 KB

I'm dumbfounded. Even my least accuracy gun can do 2.5" at 10 yards. I'm not sure what to do with this gun now because it's not accurate and sending it to Sig the standard is so low it won't matter even if they do "fix" it.

Am I blowing this out of proportion or is this accuracy standard an extremely low bar?

I bet that “standard” ensures a 0% failure rate.

Which is why it was selected.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I would suggest contacting SIG CS about your specific problem with some type of proof if possible to see if they will have a look at it. All my SIGs are very accurate, with the limiting factor being the guy holding the gun.

trash company

trash guns

trash standards

To be fair, 90% of the shooting community could not hold a 2.5" group at 10 yards, and would never notice. How many ranges have you been to and seen the "18 inch goups at 3 yards" target? But still, the gun should be mechanically able to hold 3-5" at 25....
    Last edited by Gadfly; 01-31-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    I would suggest contacting SIG CS about your specific problem with some type of proof if possible to see if they will have a look at it. All my SIGs are very accurate, with the limiting factor being the guy holding the gun.
    I mean I have pictures of targets at 20 yards but I don't know if that is considered "proof" exactly. I also have pictures of targets where it's getting 1.5" at 10 yards which better than their standard so as far as they are concerned it's performing as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    To be fair, 90% of the shooting community could not hold a 2.5" group at 10 yards, and would never notice. How many ranges have you been too and seen the "18" goups at 3 yards" target? But still, the gun should be mechanically able to hold 3-5" at 25....
    I hear what you're saying. I'm not the best pistol shooter in the world; I'm a High C Class USPSA shooter but any time I go to the indoor range I feel like Annie Oakley when I look at the targets of the other shooters there because their targets at 7 yards look like my targets at 20.

But still 5" @ 25y is about the max I would consider acceptable for a duty gun so the fact that this is a "competition" gun and I'm getting 7-8" is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    To be fair, 90% of the shooting community could not hold a 2.5" group at 10 yards, and would never notice. How many ranges have you been to and seen the "18 inch goups at 3 yards" target? But still, the gun should be mechanically able to hold 3-5" at 25....
    I'm an 8" @ 25 yard shooter. I need all the help I can get!

I wonder what target Smith uses for the M&P series.

Has any other major "duty grade" pistol manufacturer actually been kind enough to release their test protocol and minimum standard for accuracy?

Id be curious what HK holds thier's to. One of several reasons I haven't strayed from HK, is the accuracy they provide me.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I thought I was having accuracy issues with a P226 9mm. Turned out it was the bullets I ordered for reloading. I did call Sig cs and the man said to send it in to be looked at. I had the impression they would have taken it seriously.

User Tag List