Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: .45 Auto Rim "Tier II" Loads

Site Supporter
    I've got 500 45AR cases headed my way. I tried 45acp in my 625, but moon clips are a PITA. I'll probably use them for pin shoots and such where I need fast reloads, but for target practice, 45AR all the way.

Watching this thread for load ideas...

Chris

Is anyone using https://loaddata.com/?

It has data from lots of manuals plus all of the data that Wolfe Publishing has printed over the years (but without the accompanying articles). It'searchable by cartridge, bullet weight, cast vs. jacketed, and powder type, and powder maker. Pretty interesting way to slice the mass of information that's out there...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    . I tried 45acp in my 625, but moon clips are a PITA. I'll probably use them for pin shoots and such where I need fast reloads, but for target practice, 45AR all the way.

Watching this thread for load ideas...

Chris
    https://tkcustom.com/products/access...ing-tools/fmtl

Having one of these, and a "small" version has convinced me that I would prefer any revolver to be cut for moonclips, at least if I was using it for self-defense. (Being able to load/unload my 640 quick is more awesome than it sounds) Demooning takes maybe a second per cartridge, at most.

Thanks for all the info, all posters! Somehow, I think my father-in-law would have been psyched about hot-rodding his 625. He was a chem professor who built his own speakers. (I inherited a pair of those, too) This gun will be passed on to my stepkids/grandkids one day. It will be nice to pass down a few boxes of "special recipe" cartridges as well.

I'm thinking some form of 250 grain JHP at about 1000 fps.

Or ideally, an all-copper hp. I will be feeding any deer harvested to my grandkids, I would like to minimise their lead consumption. I guess a hardcast solid would be my #2 choice. Would full wadcutters be an option?

One other question: how's Blue Dot for this application? I used to use it, way back, but it seems like current load data is far more conservative than it used to be.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 02-05-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    https://tkcustom.com/products/access...ing-tools/fmtl

Having one of these, and a "small" version has convinced me that I would prefer any revolver to be cut for moonclips, at least if I was using it for self-defense. (Being able to load/unload my 640 quick is more awesome than it sounds) Demooning takes maybe a second per cartridge, at most.
    I'm familiar with those and other associated tools. I don't want to add a bunch of stuff to my range bag though. I have a pack of Rimz plastic moon clips to try out. A friend loves them for his 1917. They wouldn't be good for carry or even competition, but would be great for the range.

Chris

CFE Pistol should get you guys 900 fps if the Auto Rim case is similar in volume to ACP.

I am very happy with Starline .45AR brass. Much stronger than my old RP cases.
    My go to load is 6.4 Unique and a 255 Keith bullet in both my custom 3.5” 25 and my 5” 625.
    Shumba

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
    I am very happy with Starline .45AR brass. Much stronger than my old RP cases.
    My go to load is 6.4 Unique and a 255 Keith bullet in both my custom 3.5” 25 and my 5” 625.
    Shumba
    Starline AR cases are the only way to go in the rimmed version of .45 ACP. And your load is essentially the same I've used for some time with complete satisfaction. Those big Keith SWCs sure do penetrate a LONG way.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Starline AR cases are the only way to go in the rimmed version of .45 ACP. And your load is essentially the same I've used for some time with complete satisfaction. Those big Keith SWCs sure do penetrate a LONG way.
    Old guys like us know stuff😀
    Shumba

will have to look it up but Keith designed a Lyman mold for the 45AR. Shorter seating depth, GT Bullets or Matt's might have a few of those lying around. I need to get some for my 25-2 4".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    will have to look it up but Keith designed a Lyman mold for the 45AR. Shorter seating depth, GT Bullets or Matt's might have a few of those lying around. I need to get some for my 25-2 4".
    The mold number was 452423, mine gave a 238-grain bullet when cast of a mix of nine pounds of wheelweights and a pound of 50/50 solder IIRC.

User Tag List