Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charged and Held Without Bond

One of my favorite parts of being an FTO was that the trainee got to search and clean the back seat area instead of me. We have always had vehicles with the real back seats (with the breathable materials, all the little crevices, etc) instead of the hard plastic prisoner transport seats.

No way would I voluntarily get in or place my stuff in the backs of the units.

It strikes me odd/negligent to not have cages in marked patrol cars with hauling people to jail as one of their primary duties.

As a plainclothes investigative agency with unmarked vehicles, we did not have cages at my office. Some offices did (ironically, a member here had one at his office, which does virtually zero criminal work). We tried to get one built out/assigned to the warrant squad, but management wouldn't go for it. No idea why.

We put the subject in the back passenger seat, with an agent sitting in the back left seat. If it was a long ride (we covered the northeast region, not just a city) or someone we thought might be a PITA, we would usually have a car follow them as well and use a belly chain. If we knew they were going to be a legit PITA from the get-go, they'd likely not be transported by us to begin with. We didn't serve high risk warrants, for instance, we'd farm them out to another agency (sometimes ICE given the nexus of our crimes, or have the case assimilated by the Marshals).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I don't understand working without prisoner cages and putting people in your front seat. Only did that once and it was based on the suspect's size - had another car follow me to the jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    To this day, that's how my former agency does it. We've never had cages in the car and probably never will. I lost count of the times I had to call for a PD or SO unit so I could use a cage to transport a combative subject..
    Texas DPS doesn't, either. Last I was in Nebraska, NSP was putting single-prisoner partitions in their Crown Vics, which didn't give a perp a lot of room to jack around.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    We, here at the Sheriff's Office, have cages in each road vehicle and prisoner vans with separate compartments along with an inmate bus with three compartments. No way in Hades would I ever transport an inmate or a mental detention consumer without a cage. We also require two deputies for all TDO (mental) transports.
    Our county PD and VSP transport up front with no barrier. There are paddy wagons available if a county cop has a combative or physically nasty individual to TP to the jail.
    I have had TDO persons defecate, spit, urinate, and vomit in the back of transport vehicles. It was always nice to be able to pull a couple of trustees from the jail for cleanup duty. A used police vehicle would absolutely be a last resort purchase for me if I was desperate to buy a personal ride for all the reasons given.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    You guys don't have cages either?

We were absolutely, 100% forbidden from transporting without a cage. Two of our detectives got days off for transporting a 80lb handcuffed 14 year old when they didn't want to wait for a patrol unit.

Aside from the fact that it could turn into a fight at 55mph, there's no way in hell I'd transport a suspect in the passenger seat. I've put too many people in the back of a car with feces, vomit, blood, urine, semen and/or oozing pus all over them.

A friend of mine was thinking about buying a former police car and when I described all the stuff I've seen deposited in the back he changed his mind.
    I once had a conversation with one of Durham, NCs finest, which ended with him giving me the advice "if a cop is putting you in the back of his car, ask to see if he will throw down some newspaper first." (Luckily, I have never needed to follow his advice.)

This conversation was spurred by talking about a homeless guy who he had to put in the back of his car multiple times. ("Bedsores from the waist down") I felt better about having to mop up a good 12 oz or so of the same dude's lymph fluid off a restaurant floor.

ETA: said homeless guy was in a wheelchair, so he had to pick the mofo up and place him in the back of the car.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    And then there are those who spit on correctional staff and maybe cops too. This behavior evolved over time. Would anyone care to speculate why it was not done previous to 35 or more years ago?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post

Weird case though. If I read the details correctly, the Chief of that agency ordered the arrest the following day so unless it's all on camera, that's not much of an investigation process. Like most of these shadowy shootings where cops are charged, I'd like to see the video myself at inservice training.......so I can not be "that guy" looking at prison time.

Regards.
    It sounds like there is no footage of it. And the chief had this to say: "There are no circumstances upon which this outcome is acceptable." Seems no investigation is needed in his mind.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/maryla...ry?id=68599644

Site Supporter
    there are some instructors who teach drug interdiction who advocate putting the suspect in the front seat of your cop car while you ask them questions. The theory apparently is that putting them next to you makes it easier for you to read their body language.

I only became aware of this recently and I am still surprised. Seems like a dangerous way to conduct your business to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    there are some instructors who teach drug interdiction who advocate putting the suspect in the front seat of your cop car while you ask them questions. The theory apparently is that putting them next to you makes it easier for you to read their body language.

I only became aware of this recently and I am still surprised. Seems like a dangerous way to conduct your business to me.
    There are some instructors that teach it, for various reasons, but I don’t know of any good ones that do.

I worked interstate drug interdiction for a couple of years, and did just fine standing on the side of the road with the driver.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Having seen a lot of these people post-transport, I am honestly completely shocked that every cruiser in the US does not have a cage in the back. I have lost count of the people brought to us because they tried to figure out whether the plastic divider was harder than their skull (it is).

User Tag List