Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charged and Held Without Bond

Charged and Held Without Bond

Anyone have any more information on this one? The copper has been charged from a 2011 incident:

https://www.policeone.com/investigat...4f6bc-41915707

That PoliceOne article as confusing AF.

From reading some other articles, it became more clear.

This guy was involved in a shooting on Monday, where a handcuffed suspect was shot several times. The officer discharged 7 rounds. That is the shooting he's being held and charged for.

Apparently the 2011 shooting was ruled a good shoot at the time, but they are taking another look at it in light of the newest incident.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

This will be an interesting one to watch.

I don't understand working without prisoner cages and putting people in your front seat. Only did that once and it was based on the suspect's size - had another car follow me to the jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

I don't understand working without prisoner cages and putting people in your front seat.
    In my agency, we unfortunately do that all the time. We only have unmarked cars... so if we cant find a marked unit to assist, we cuff behind the back, seat them as front passenger, and belt them in. If they are being an asshole or unruly, we leg shackle too. They usually get the "talk" before we roll. "act like a gentleman, and I will treat you like a gentleman. But if I see you wiggling, jacking around, or trying to unbuckle the seat belt... this car is getting stopped and you will not be happy..."
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    In my agency, we unfortunately do that all the time. We only have unmarked cars... so if we cant find a marked unit to assist, we cuff behind the back, seat them as front passenger, and belt them in. If they are being an asshole or unruly, we leg shackle too. They usually get the "talk" before we roll. "act like a gentleman, and I will treat you like a gentleman. But if I see you wiggling, jacking around, or trying to unbuckle the seat belt... this car is getting stopped and you will not be happy..."
    Exactly how I / we handled it. (I also moved my gun from strong side to support side.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I don't understand working without prisoner cages and putting people in your front seat.
    Me either. That's some serious 1950s bullshit right there.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

CWM11B
    This will be an interesting one to watch.

I don't understand working without prisoner cages and putting people in your front seat. Only did that once and it was based on the suspect's size - had another car follow me to the jail.
    Welcome to how the NC Highway Patrol has been transporting prisoners since its inception in 1929. It's gone badly for both sides plenty of times. It is a stupid practice. The reason I was told they did it makes the biggest simpleton you've ever met look like a MENSA candidate

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Welcome to how the NC Highway Patrol has been transporting prisoners since its inception in 1929. It's gone badly for both sides plenty of times. It is a stupid practice. The reason I was told they did it makes the biggest simpleton you've ever met look like a MENSA candidate
    Well, what was the reason?

And I’m very interested in following this one. It’s the second time in his career he shot a handcuffed subject (thanks for clarifying, Lester).

We won't even transport two prisoners inside a caged vehicle. Policy dictates one prisoner only, in a caged vehicle, cuffed in the back (if no medical condition prevents), seat belted, and cameras running. We do have unmarked smaller sedans for investigators and they call us (patrol) when they want one transported.

The Roush Mustang that we have has no cage at all and it seemed like every time I stopped someone in it, they had a serious warrant that made an arrest mandatory. I had to call and tie up another unit for that. I still wouldn't transport in the front seat and can't understand why agencies do that. Our Troopers used to have speeders come back to their passenger seat for the warning/cite thing and I never understood that practice either. I was told it was so that they could keep an eye out for the driver and that if left behind in the car, they could pull a weapon. Not sure what they did when there were multiple occupants, mothers with kids in the car, etc.

Weird case though. If I read the details correctly, the Chief of that agency ordered the arrest the following day so unless it's all on camera, that's not much of an investigation process. Like most of these shadowy shootings where cops are charged, I'd like to see the video myself at inservice training.......so I can not be "that guy" looking at prison time.

Instead of the de-escalation classes, the sensitivity classes, the implicit bias classes.....and all that fluff that does nothing to help me when I come across the wolf.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    When I worked for the City, we had cages in every car and it was policy you didn't transport without one.

At the State, if you transferred from Investigations to Highway Patrol you got decals put on your car (Tahoe in my case)...but no cage installed. I transported in the backseat, hands cuffed behind the back, and seat belted in (with a leg restraint handy if needed).

The above conversation is almost word-for-word what I told my passengers. "If you act like a gentleman, I'll treat you like a gentleman...if I see or hear the seatbelt unbuckle, or you act stupid...I'm going to pull over and treat you stupid. Do you understand?"

Funny thing...I never had anyone act up while transporting w/o a cage like I did when there was one between us.

User Tag List