Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquiring the dot support hand only

Acquiring the dot support hand only

When shooting a different pistol, I have typically spent a fair amount of effort to reliably acquire the dot support hand only. Since a number of the pistols I shoot in competition don't have BUIS, have different height over bore of the optic, and have different grip angles, this shouldn't be a surprise. The other day, I started experimenting to see if there might be a method, that would allow me to easily move from pistol to pistol, and reliably find the dot support hand only, including from weird positions.

What I didn't want, is a method that relies on using BUIS, focusing on the optic housing, or referencing a stripe marked on the optic. What I did want is a method that allows me to look at a spot on the target, extend my arm, and have the dot appear on the desired aiming spot. What I figured out, is if I look at a spot on the target, extend my arm, with the pistol, and visualize placing the lens of the optic between my dominant eye and the spot on the target, the dot reliably appears on the spot. Keeping the pistol and optic more vertical than canted also helps me.

I have tested this with a number of people in the last day or so, and it seems to show promise, so I wanted to pass it along and see if it is helpful. YVK pulled three different pistols out last night to try, and at the LGS folks tried a FN 509 and a 2011 Open gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Timely stuff, GJM. Thanks for that.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Tangentially related, which eye do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Tangentially related, which eye do you use?
    I am right hand, right eye dominant. Shooting support hand I put the optic in front of my right (dominant) eye.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When shooting a different pistol, I have typically spent a fair amount of effort to reliably acquire the dot support hand only. Since a number of the pistols I shoot in competition don't have BUIS, have different height over bore of the optic, and have different grip angles, this shouldn't be a surprise. The other day, I started experimenting to see if there might be a method, that would allow me to easily move from pistol to pistol, and reliably find the dot support hand only, including from weird positions.

What I didn't want, is a method that relies on using BUIS, focusing on the optic housing, or referencing a stripe marked on the optic. What I did want is a method that allows me to look at a spot on the target, extend my arm, and have the dot appear on the desired aiming spot. What I figured out, is if I look at a spot on the target, extend my arm, with the pistol, and visualize placing the lens of the optic between my dominant eye and the spot on the target, the dot reliably appears on the spot. Keeping the pistol and optic more vertical than canted also helps me.

I have tested this with a number of people in the last day or so, and it seems to show promise, so I wanted to pass it along and see if it is helpful. YVK pulled three different pistols out last night to try, and at the LGS folks tried a FN 509 and a 2011 Open gun.
    Coincidentally, I have been spending a fair amount of time using my ELMS/G-Sight Laser Training system in dry fire working on acquiring the dot with my support hand only with four different pistol platforms over the past two to three weeks.

My findings have been identical to the ones you describe. Two of your methods particularly resonate with me . . . .
    Focus on the desired aiming point
    Keeping the dot as vertical as possible vs. in a canted position

I am a RH shooter and left eye dominant, and I believe that actually helps me when using my support (left) hand to align the optic with my dominant (left) eye.

Has anyone tried using their gun hand thumb as a "pointer" toward the target? Not looking at the thumb, just watching the target and extending the thumb toward the target, and seeing the dot on the target. Seems to help me out, but then my eyes are far from perfect (specs, prism, etc).

A "reverse cant" has helped me quite a bit. Prior to thinking of it that way, the dot would disappear during a string of fire. Now, it's much more consistent.

@GJM, thanks. I'll try the visualization. Here's what works for me:

Transfer the gun high, press out parallel, and keep the top of the slide level on presentation.

Rotate my head to the left, putting my chin toward my left shoulder. This keeps my right eye lined up without having my left arm rotated inward.

Reverse gangster cant to help with vertical sight tracking.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I like to imagine a wire tied to my dominant eye that the pistol has to travel along like an old soapbox racer but I think that's just a different way of doing exactly what you're describing.

I do the same thing with my weak hand as I do with the strong hand.

The difference comes from the cross eye dominance / head tilt utilized for the support hand.

But that’s about it for me.

User Tag List