Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need an opinion, Peltor ComTac III or MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X

Thanks for the help everyone. If I was going to buy a pair of the Comptac III today, where would you suggest?

And Bill, while Garand Thumb has some great info, he really could cut those videos down in length.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    Good questions, while I don't wear hearing adds, I stop asking people to repeat them self after the third time and just smile and nod my head.
    Sounds like we're in the same exact boat. I was torn between the Comptac III's and Sordin myself when I bought the Sordin from SRS through Amazon. Kinda wish I'd have sprung a few more bucks and got the Comps but the Sordins are good kit. I especially like them when hunting, that thing I said about the squirrel is real!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Thanks for the help everyone. If I was going to buy a pair of the Comptac III today, where would you suggest?

And Bill, while Garand Thumb has some great info, he really could cut those videos down in length.
    I got em through SRS. No issues. Get a headband and gel cups for sure. I got the Ferro Concepts band SRS sells on their website; comfortable enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I have no experience with the Peltors.

I do have the Sordin Supreme Pro Xs, combined with the excellent @Noisefighters gel cups and a cool guy headband. They are easily the most comfortable ear pro I've worn. They also seem to do well with sweat (I sweat... a lot. I've killed several pairs of Howard Leights that way). I've had them about six months and, in retrospect, I should have just bought these at the beginning rather than buying four pairs of Howard Leights over the years. Still on the original batteries as well, with an average of about 10 hours/month of use, plus two classes, for what that's worth. Sound quality is good, though I find they tend to amplify a bit less than the Howard Leights on indoor ranges. Outdoor quality is excellent.

Edit: mine came from SRS.
    Ditto.

My MSA Sordin Pro X's are from the group buy in September 2015. Still going strong. www.srstactical.com are a stand up group to do business with.

Maybe a strange twist, but I called SRS and asked about the Sordins vs the Comptac IIIs and he said that Sordin has just released a new unit called the SWATCOM Active 8 Waterproof set. He told me that the people from Sordin came from Peltor. The Peltors have a 1 year warranty and the Sordins have a 5 year warranty. Then what closed the deal for the semi deaf guy is that the Sordins have more volume than the Peltors.

Bottom line, I bought the new Swatcom Active 8 unit. I'll report back on how these do for me.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Maybe a strange twist, but I called SRS and asked about the Sordins vs the Comptac IIIs and he said that Sordin has just released a new unit called the SWATCOM Active 8 Waterproof set. He told me that the people from Sordin came from Peltor. The Peltors have a 1 year warranty and the Sordins have a 5 year warranty. Then what closed the deal for the semi deaf guy is that the Sordins have more volume than the Peltors.

Bottom line, I bought the new Swatcom Active 8 unit. I'll report back on how these do for me.
    First time I've heard of these. Let me know how you like them. Very curious.

Verdict on these? Interested in a pair.

Looked interesting until I saw NRRs of 18-20. You might have to accept that for connection to a radio on a SWAT raid or for a shot or two hunting, but it is not enough for me on a range. I have HL Pro 30 dB for when I absolutely positively have to hear the chit chat but mostly I wear high NRR passives.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Looked interesting until I saw NRRs of 18-20. You might have to accept that for connection to a radio on a SWAT raid or for a shot or two hunting, but it is not enough for me on a range. I have HL Pro 30 dB for when I absolutely positively have to hear the chit chat but mostly I wear high NRR passives.
    Absolutely. Beyond just the EPA NRR, if you look at the individual frequency data the high priced low profile tactical earpro under perform many other options out there, across all the sound frequencies. Those sets are designed for radio comms by a tactical team, AND for wear with helmets. So unless you need to wear a helmet, and have radio comms, you're paying a lot of money to sacrifice protection for your ears.

Further, you can have radio comms with the lower priced headsets. I trained with another office at our agency, where the lead FI there had arranged to get everyone Peltor 100s, and I used my Peltor 500s. We all connected our radios to the earpro through the 3.5mm audio jacks. All range commands for qualifications, and training drills were done over the radios. It worked great.

My Peltor 500s, with gel earcups, cost less than half the price of the Sordins or ComTacs, but offer much better hearing protection.

If you're a SEAL, Delta, HRT, etc, and are wearing earpro with a helmet, then get those low profile tactical sets. If you want to save your hearing, and avoid tinnitus (or keep it from getting worse like me), you're much better off with other earpro.

Many years ago (15? 18?) I borrowed a pair of each for a stage or two at a match, settled on the Sordin as being better and never went back. I even wear them for carbine and clays shooting (some people complain about muffs with long guns). I pits been so long I can’t even remember why I preferred the Sordin but I’ve had no reason to switch. I’ve had two sets in that time after the first gave up the ghost a couple of years back, seemingly more from neglect than anything else.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List