Thread: Week 357: Three-Fifty-Seven

Week 357: Three-Fifty-Seven

Week 357: Three-Fifty-Seven

Results may be posted until March 2nd, 2020.

Designed by: Chris Edwards
    Range: 25 or 50 yards - see below
    Target: Any full silhouette target
    Par time: 3 seconds
    Start position: Gun in hand, shooter in position of choice - see below
    Rounds fired: 6

Comments from the designer:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Edwards
    Drill scenario is you have adversary at 50 yards, who is not aware of your presence (think active murderer in parking lot). Get the hit; in all reports, usually makes a difference.
    This can be both a drill or a test. As a drill, you are working towards 100% hits, a minimum of 6 times-yes, it can be done with a snub/subcompact. I designed it to test the outer limits of pistolcraft...a steel silhouette is preferred, but not mandatory.
    Revolvers can be cocked after the beep, from a safe ready(muzzle downrange).
    As you can see from the above comments, this drill/test was designed to address taking long distance shots with a small gun, though a small gun isn't required to participate in this Drill of the Week. It is scored Pass/Fail. To Pass, you must make six consecutive hits somewhere on the silhouette, each shot under the par time.

The shooter starts with gun in hand, sightline under target, and can already be in shooting position of choice (standing, kneeling, prone, etc.)

If shooting at 50 yards: At the start signal, fire one shot under the par time. Repeat until you have fired six total rounds.

If shooting at 25 yards: At the start signal, fire two shots under the par time. Repeat until you have fired six total rounds.

Optional variation: For added challenge, start standing and at the start signal, draw from the holster and get into whatever shooting position is being used. Use a 5-second par time for this variation. All other details remain the same (one shot per string if shooting at 50 yards, two shots per string if shooting at 25 yards.)

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Handgun used
    Distance (25 or 50 yards)
    Shooting position used
    Number of consecutive hits
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Shot this one twice. It was my warm up.
    From 50 yards.
    Fist with the 92 compact, then M9.
    Standing, square to the target.

92 compact
    Name:  PakmsSTl.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  23.1 KB

M9 - barely passed, had that one wing shot in the shoulder.
    Name:  so9JstMl.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  22.8 KB

Times with the 92 were all under 2 seconds, most were right around 2 seconds the second time around.
    After the rest of my shooting was done, decided to try this a third time to see how it would compare. Took a hair more time on the first couple shots, in the mid 2 second range, last three in the mid 1 sec.

M9
    Name:  MJxYUODl.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  23.4 KB

PF9C
    50 yards
    Standing, Isoscoles
    Pass

Avg. Time 2.30, longest 2.92

Name:  20200202_131839.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  40.4 KB

Just loaded 500 X-Treme 124gr plated HPs over 4.2gr of Titegroup, and I've been very happy with the accuracy, in multiple guns. Only warmup was two rounds to a blank cardboard, just to confirm POA/POI that far out. Surprisingly, it was dead on. This load is a keeper. Sages Reloading Supply is awesome!

I run an Ameriglo bold orange square/tritium up front, with a steel factory rear. This has become my preferred setup on multiple guns. Fast and easy to "pick up", in all light conditions.

I can't remember the last time I shot any pistol at 50 yards, I'm frankly surprised this worked out. I should try this more often.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 02-03-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Glock Gen5 19MOS w/Aimpoint ACRO&TLR7A out of a Tenicor ARX LUX. 147gr. fmjfn (Winchester) ammo. Draws were unconcealed.
    25 and 50 yards; we have a big city PD range close by which has steel. I don’t know the mfg. of the particular target, but I would describe it as a “mini IPSC/IDPA”(C zone width) with a small triangle that swings in the head and about a 4x6 swinger center.
    I began at 50 yards, dry fired on the timer a couple of times, and shot 6 for 6. Moved to 25 yards, 2 shots from the draw: 6 for 6. Times @50 were around 2 seconds and a little change; 25 yards-just over 2.5. I shot and cleaned each distance 3 times. For sentimental reasons, I did a couple of draws at 50 on the timer and hit(!) in just over 2.5 seconds. That was very gratifying, as I had done that drill @Gunsite years ago with a G21; quit while I was ahead.
    I noted hits a little low on the silhouette at 50, but they would have caused indigestion!
    This is a “trigger patience” drill; there is time, so work the trigger mindfully. The ACRO helps too!
    Thanks for the drill.
    Edit to add: shooting position-standing, freestyle.

Tried it at 25. Beretta PX4CC. No trouble making the times but without my new contact lenses I had a lot of trouble discerning the outline of a QIT. Still managed 5/6. Try it again sometime when I can see.

Name:  38E3334C-E736-452F-A07D-9F874819A43E.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  24.6 KB
    Last edited by Gun Nerd; 02-07-2020 at 05:45 PM.

User Tag List