Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I must have this one....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If only they'd follow Taurus' lead and make it a six-shooter.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Is it out of stock everywhere that lists it because it's old or not out yet?
    I can't find it even as a discontinued model. My first thought was it might be a custom, but the hump on the receiver shows it was originally made with an adjustable rear sight. Also, the sight looks to be roll pinned in place, which is a recent development for Ruger.

I kinda want one.

ETA: Just found it here.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

If only they'd follow Taurus' lead and make it a six-shooter.
    That would pique my interest.

Site Supporter
    That is sexy. The finish appears glossier than previous blued SP101s I've seen, which is nice.

I don't see them ever making a 6-shot 38/357 SP101 though, it would compete with the GP series.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't see them ever making a 6-shot 38/357 SP101 though, it would compete with the GP series.
    People who want a 6 shot 357 Mag but don't want the bulk and weight of the GP-100 would jump all over an SP made just enough bigger to take a 6 shot cylinder. Ruger may not want to take advantage of that potential market, but it will be their loss.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    No, it would be something the GP series cannot be. Given that the SP101 is already bigger and heavier than a J frame or Taurus small frame, a Super SP101 just might take a bite out of the regular SP101's lunch. Perhaps a big bite. In any case, it would do away with any reason I might have for remembering that the Kimber and Colt Cobra exist. And I'd definitely sell all my .38-caliber K frames.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    People who want a 6 shot 357 Mag but don't want the bulk and weight of the GP-100 would jump all over an SP made just enough bigger to take a 6 shot cylinder. Ruger may not want to take advantage of that potential market, but it will be their loss.

Dave
    I agree. I'm one of those potential customers myself. I felt the GP100 was too big for the cartridge, but would like to have one more shot than the SP101 offers. I've been eyeballing the Kimber as a result.

No, it would be something the GP series cannot be. Given that the SP101 is already bigger and heavier than a J frame or Taurus small frame, a Super SP101 just might take a bite out of the regular SP101's lunch. Perhaps a big bite. In any case, it would do away with any reason I might have for remembering that the Kimber and Colt Cobra exist. And I'd definitely sell all my .38-caliber K frames.
    You mean like the Speed/Security Six series guns they no longer make? That's why I don't think they'll make one, they already had something in between the two guns and dropped it.

I'm just not convinced Ruger will reduce the safety margin of this gun by adding another chamber, nor will they see it being a different enough gun to slot in between the two existing ones.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this.

Chris

I’d be down with that.

The SP is currently neither fish nor fowl. Too heavy for a pocket, but putting on a belt you may as well have six.

My GP100 MC has been cutting in to my K-frame range time lately. Never imagined[emoji15]

How much bigger is the GP’s cylinder compared to the SP?

I’d be interested in a 6 round SP, even if they had to limit it to .38 Special only for durability.
    David S.

Kimber's ad copy says the cylinder is smaller than its competitors, which at the time and in context seemed to be referring to J frames and the SP101. I don't have an SP101 or K6s to measure; it could be they were talking about the K frame, although if so, it certainly managed to confuse me, and I read and write at a high grade level. I'm not sure how big a circle it takes to keep six .38/.357 caseheads at or perhaps a hair over SAAMI max diameter from running into each other*, but it's annoying that the K6s doesn't use K frame speed loaders. The Taurus 856 does use K frame speed loaders. I kinda feel like the benefit of using K frame speed loaders would outweigh the downside of a few grams and a mm or two of cylinder diameter.

*The GP100 seven-shot .357 has problems with SAAMI max diameter case heads jamming, apparently a fundamental failure to perform GD&T in the design stage.

The Bud's deal on the 3-in. Kimber has me thinking hard about it, but I keep coming back around and bouncing off how ugly it is. Even the Taurus is better looking.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List