Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle.

Site Supporter
    I haven't deer hunted in 7 years now, thanks to having kids and starting a business, etc. And I've started shooting a bunch of different stuff since then, but the 700 I do use to deer hunt with breaks right at 3.5 lb, and it's about right. I dug the rifle out and shot it last summer a it along with the CZ527 I bought. The CZ runs a bit under 3 lb, and for varmint use, it's quite good.

I gauged a few other guns around here a while back, and my Winchester 94 and M1 Garand break at 6 lb, WASR10 is just over 5.5. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them, either.

For me personally, the weight of pull is something of a secondary concern. I prefer single-stage triggers with no creep, minimal over-travel and a pull weight between three and four pounds.

I had an occasion recently to have four 1911's on the bench at the same time to shoot back-to-back …. a Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk and a Brown. All the triggers had a similar weight of pull, but all four had different characteristics regarding creep and over-travel. The pistol I shoot the best has the heaviest trigger, but it has NO discernable creep so I guess that's what my brain likes best.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List