Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle.

Site Supporter

Trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle.

What is your preferred trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle?

I got into a discussion with a coworker today, who recently put an aftermarket single stage trigger set at 2lbs into one of his new bolt guns, iirc a Ruger American.

I don’t necessarily think he’s wrong, but I don’t really like any rifle with a trigger pull less that 4.5lbs on any rifle (especially if I might be wearing gloves or am cold and tired), and I prefer two stage triggers if it’s an option.

This conversation got me to thinking it might be an interesting topic for PF, so what weight triggers do y’all like on a hunting rifle?

Hunting what — pretty wide range from varmints to elk and bears?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hunting what — pretty wide range from varmints to elk and bears?
    True, I’m interested in whatever anybody uses for any type of game normally taken with a center fire rifle, so I guess we should also post what game we’re hunting.

I’ll start by saying that in my case I’m referring to whitetail hunting, usually from a stand or blind type setup, but that is light enough that it can also be used for stalk-hunting to and from the stand, or if you get bored sitting.

On January 1 in Wis, I was out with the 3 gun rifle. We have drivers and standers, and I was on a stand and after a number of hours my hands were getting cold. Coyote comes busting through at 40 yards and it should be a piece of cake. I touch the trigger and start taking up slack and the gun goes bang about 3 feet from the target.

This is the second time that this has happened to me in my life. The last time this took place before this event was in 1993. Both times the triggers are around 3 pounds or under. I just smiled as the yote went off to live another day. In 1993 it was a red fox.

The Jan 2020 event reassured me that for a hunting rifle or a cold weather rifle, 3.5 pounds is my personal limit for a rifle.

Note: If you live in TX and never shoot in 20F, your requirements might be different than mine.

For big game, I am almost always using a pre 64 model 70, and have triggers in the 3-4 pound range. I am interested in the trigger’s feel as much as absolute weight, and of course it must not follow when you work the bolt vigorously.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Watching with interest.

Owning several bolt guns from Browning, Sako, Tikka, Winchester, and Remington, I've never measured and never adjusted their triggers. Always left them stock.

Primarily shoot deer from tree stands.

cc

If the weight of the gun is greater than the weight of the trigger, and it's relatively smooth, I don't find myself noticing or caring much. This is the case with most long guns for me. Handguns are obviously a different story, given the weight ratio is almost always reversed to some degree.

I like 4# and I really like two stage triggers, but only really can get good ones for my AR. That combination works well with gloves.

I hope to try the Geiselle 2 stage trigger on my Remington hunting rifle soon. The Savage Accu-Trigger is kind of like a 2 stage in practice and I run my lightweight Savage at 4#. I'm thinking about a KRG 2-stage for my Tika.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 01-29-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I like 4# and I really like two stage triggers, but only really can get good ones for my AR. That combination works well with gloves.

I hope to try the Geiselle 2 stage trigger on my Remington hunting rifle soon.
    My first centerfire rifle was a Swedish Mauser with a very nice (but still factory) two stage trigger. I’m not sure if you can get a similar 2 stage trigger for more modern actions, but I liked it a lot more than any of the factory single stage triggers I’ve personally shot on more modern hunting rifles

3.5ish pounds is the sweet spot for me. Works on my predator and big game rifles. Hot, cold, gloves, no gloves, whatever... It seems to work for me in all conditions in single and two-stage triggers.

User Tag List