Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training for shooting while injured.

I teach a class called "Critical Pistol Skills" in which we do everything freestyle, strong hand only, and then support hand only to include draws, reloads, and malfunctions clearances.

My next offering of this class is in Murfreesboro, TN. It's sold out, but there is a waitlist option.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep a lefty Sariland GLS for my G19. It's an improper color, meaning it's not black, but I got it cheap on clearance. It was probably on clearance because it is not a proper color.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Also if this a worker’s compensation claim, don’t screw yourself out of a disability claim or reduced impairment rating, because your doing things a doctor doesn’t want you doing and it can be easily misconstrued into fraud. A lot of management types act like you’re stealing from there children and personally screwing them over when it comes to long term workers comp issues.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Thread update:

Started physical therapy this week. Right arm/shoulder already showing improvement. Forward and up range of lotion are good. Backwards and to the side not so much.

5 more weeks of PT.

Good news is shooting strong hand is not a problem anymore.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I think that taking just about any class once every few years as a wrong hander to be beneficial. One of my first three coppers needing remedial was a wrong hander and just come from shooting the State's shotgun instructor course wrong handed due to a minor injury. I keep a wrong handed duty belt set up for coaching such shooters.

Just a basic course can be challenging enough if you haven't put enough thought and practice into it. If I were to go back to get my State Level 4/Master instructor certificate I would teach 2-3 of the required courses with my support hand as primary. Even in the days of No Shooter Left Behind I want to do everything I can to help my shooters be successful, and believe I am obligated to demo techniques and shoot drills from the wrong side of the fun and dedicate 1-2 dry fire sessions a month to "mirror image" training.

I still suck left handed, but training lefties is no. onger as daunting, and much more effective.

pat

Site Supporter
    Will Petty does some injured shooter coursework.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Good stuff. I try to incorporate about 10% of my shooting from support hand. I’m not the worlds most coordinated person and it really slows me down.

Anyhow your post made me think of this

Name:  B57396CB-140C-4CDA-BEAD-88EF093F1279.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  74.7 KB

Several years ago a 32 kilo kettle bell followed me home. The ever-vigilant Mrs. Tecum saw me dragging the thing towards our front door and placed herself in a militarily sound position to block entry. Think "Horatius At The Bridge". After much quiet, even loving, discussion I was grudgingly allowed to pass but the kettle bell was forbidden. I think she might have said, "Not on my wood floors!" or something, but its possible I may have misheard. Nevertheless, and regardless of the lies the neighbors like to repeat, she's a reasonable woman and when I explained that it was required by a local ordinance recently passed in secret, and besides, I'd use it strictly for swings, and yes, it would stay in the library, I was permitted to carry the kettle bell to it's new home. A couple of years later she was out shopping and I reasonably thought that was surely a sign from God that He wanted me to begin pressing the bell.

Right arm was no problem, so I tried it with my left. I had the bell all the way up when I lost the lock. My elbow came out from underneath the weight. For no reason I can think of, the first thing I heard in my mind was "NOT ON MY WOOD FLOORS!". I suspected right then that it would probably be better if I did not let the kettle bell strike the floor. I managed to stop my arm at about shoulder level. The bell, however, rotated around my elbow and continued its descent even as I held it. It got to nipple level while my left elbow remained ear-high and I remember hearing new-to-me popping noises. Somehow I managed to get the bell down and replaced exactly where it belonged when I noticed I was experiencing communications difficulty with my left arm. I could not move it. Maybe a twitch, that's all. Pain is too strong a word, but the unusual feelings in my shoulder as dust motes struck the hairs on my left arm caught my attention. Then I heard her key in the door. There was time to scream, "Your wood floor is ok! It's ok!" which I vaguely remember repeating several times.

And that brings us to weak-hand practice. Several days later, as my ululations reduced to whimpering like a little girl, I ordered a left hand JMCK IWB-3 and right side mag carrier and, as recovery permitted, have incorporated them into daily dry fire practice. I give weak hand fully as much attention now as strong hand, because you never know.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 02-07-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Thread update:

Started physical therapy this week. Right arm/shoulder already showing improvement. Forward and up range of lotion are good...
    Sounds like you're coming along fine with your draw stroke...
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List