Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Old News? Couple Interesting Things on the EAA Website

Sound's not the best but here's a bit of info on some of the new stuff:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...1911-model-92/

What's the general consensus on EAA quality? Would the poly frame 1911s be a huge risk or are they generally accepted as good value?

Reason I ask is:
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/eaa-...1911p-9mm-425/

The poly framed 9mm commander is showing as sub $400 when you add to cart. That's cheap enough its simultaneously tempting and setting off alarm bells.

EAA is only an importer, they don't make anything. Tanfoglio guns are VG in my opinion. I've never had even one that hasn't been great. Only have 4 now, but I've owned over a dozen.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    EAA is only an importer, they don't make anything. Tanfoglio guns are VG in my opinion.
    EAA has, however, been responsible for some of the most unintentionally hilarious gunrag advertisements ever.

My son had a Tanfo (EAA Witness) that was quite serviceable. Looking back, he should have used it until it wore out because its resale value was nil and what he replaced it with didn't group or function any better.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    My only concern would be EAA's reputation for very poor customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    What's the general consensus on EAA quality? Would the poly frame 1911s be a huge risk or are they generally accepted as good value?

Reason I ask is:

The poly framed 9mm commander is showing as sub $400 when you add to cart. That's cheap enough its simultaneously tempting and setting off alarm bells.
    I've owned two of the Witnesses [Tanfoglio CZ-75 clones) both in 9 mm - a steel frame and a polymer frame. The polymer got traded away pretty fast. It was decent quality and a serviceable shooter. It was also, though, disproportionally whippy and slightly painful to shoot.. Not sure why. I liked the grip shape and the weight was high enough it shouldn't have felt like that. Maybe something in the polymer formula or the balance between frame weight and slide weight. Whatever it was I'd want to try the 1911 polymer before buying one.

What's the general consensus on EAA quality?
    As already mentioned, the question is not about EAA but manufacturers that EAA is importing. Not a general consensus but one guy's experience (though witnessed by a number of pf-ers who I shoot matches with): if given a Tanfoglio for free, I would sell it without taking it out of the box.
    I had two Stock 2s several years ago, they were it gun for the Production. I spent about 125% of guns costs to make them work, both of them. They went to every shop that claimed to be Tanfo expert at that time and took work. One even went to Ned Christiansen, 'cause he is a buddy, who did the best he could. Sold both at about 80% of total investment and with the disclosures.
    Later was told by a Tanfo sponsored shooter that their 2016 guns were fucked up. I hope that it was at least a good wine year in Italy.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Reason I ask is:

Hmm...that’s a decent enough price to be tempting.

Simultaneously, my hard rule on bull barrel 1911s is, “Don’t”. They don’t really accomplish anything besides eliminating a step in production, making takedown a tool necessity affair, and limiting parts and spring choices for troubleshooting.

There aren’t a lot of true 4.25” bull barrel guns, so recoil springs will likely be an issue.

I’d probably stick only to their bushing equipped guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hmm...that’s a decent enough price to be tempting.

Simultaneously, my hard rule on bull barrel 1911s is, “Don’t”. They don’t really accomplish anything besides eliminating a step in production, making takedown a tool necessity affair, and limiting parts and spring choices for troubleshooting.

There aren’t a lot of true 4.25” bull barrel guns, so recoil springs will likely be an issue.

I’d probably stick only to their bushing equipped guns.
    Yeah, it seems like a perfect storm of possible problems. 9mm 1911s seem to have a reputation for being finicky with high end makers, a foreign import sub $400 9mm 1911 of unclear origin? Seems like a dice roll. A polymer frame that seems to just copy the dimensions of a steel frame, to the point of molding in faux grip panels make me think of the issues with AR15 poly lowers that follow the same design philosophy having long history of issues.
    And your point about bull barrels is also a good one, that I have some experience with, as the main reason this is tempting is to replace a Rock Island Commander that my father owns, that's currently sitting unused due to the front site having fallen off, and the gunsmith installed replacement having joined its predecessor in committing seppuku, his enthusiasm for a third round of frustration in getting it resolved has left him with a gun that he feels both isn't worth it to sell in it's current condition, but also isn't worth it to fix either.
    Thus the temptation of this EAA/Tangfolio, though it seems it would be a $400 path to the same frustrations it would be intended to replace.

as the main reason this is tempting is to replace a Rock Island Commander that my father owns, that's currently sitting unused due to the front site having fallen off, and the gunsmith installed replacement having joined its predecessor in committing seppuku, his enthusiasm for a third round of frustration in getting it resolved has left him with a gun that he feels both isn't worth it to sell in it's current condition, but also isn't worth it to fix either.
    If it is a tenon-staked sight that fell out, use a good tenon staker and some red loctite. - https://www.firearmsnews.com/editori...nt-sight/78176 - Make sure to use a proper dimensioned sight (there are two tenon-sizes, narrow and wide; narrow is the original GI-pattern, wide is what is mostly used now, I don't actually remember if RIA uses the narrow or wide, I want to think wide).

If it is a dovetail, email Armscor with the serial number and find out if it uses Novak-dimension dovetails (all of them since ~2013 do) or the older non-novak dimension dovetails.

If it's a Novak and the cut is slightly oversized, order a gunsmith fit Novak front sight from Novaks, Evolution Gunworks, or Harrison Precision. A good file, a dovetail sight fitter, and a couple of hours is all it takes to make it work. If you really want it to never go anywhere, install a sight with a cross pin, then drill the slide and pin it in place. A hard-fit dovetail + pinned front sight will probably not move again in either your father's nor your lifetimes.

User Tag List