Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 and the 10-8 Extractor Test

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Because it has to be bent so much to get tension on the case it's easy unbend 'em when you take it out. They don't just slip out like a 45.
    Ahh, gotcha. So hypothetical question: If the extractor releases the casing at around 26#, per the Weigand gauge, is the 10-8 test still applicable?

This is a great thread, reminds me I need to lay in some spare parts, which I stupidly gave away when I divested myself of all things 1911.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I would say it's relevant. It shows that the gun is set up to eject without the aid of the top round in the magazine.

Think of the Aflac insurance commercial duck, but instead hear Aftec.

Seriously, I don’t know why these things aren’t more popular. No bending, no tweaking, and they apply pressure more linear.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The thing I found with 9mms is to not remove the extractor. Ever.

Pull the firing pin stop and the extractor moves around enough to blow brake cleaner through the tunnel and blast out any gunk.
    Ha! WHY WASN'T I TOLD!!!! Love this. Thanks and thanks again @NPV
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I think Dawson has a tool that makes removing 9mm extractors a breeze. I honestly only remove mine every 2kish rounds. I’ve checked after 500 and there simply isn’t enough buildup to justify cleaning the tunnel that often IMO.

As for the clocking, that just means the extractor is rotating in the tunnel. So when the handgun is fired and goes through it’s extraction/ejection cycle the extractor claw can rotate into a position that is less than optimal causing extraction or ejection issues. Usually a loose fitting FPS is the culprit and it can be rectified by fitting a new EGW or similar FPS. But I’ve seen extractors with the FPS slot (not sure if that the correct terminology) filed out way too much causing the same issue.

When in doubt I just refit both, they’re cheap enough and I prefer fitting them to each other at the same time.
    Subscribed to this thread. Life just got soooo much easier.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Think of the Aflac insurance commercial duck, but instead hear Aftec.

Seriously, I don’t know why these things aren’t more popular. No bending, no tweaking, and they apply pressure more linear.
    Aftec really is a miracle in Technicolor. Lots of guys use them to get their 2011s running correctly and they use coil springs instead of leaf springs, but I think the main thing is that most people aren't willing to drop a hundred bucks on an extractor when you can buy a EGW HD which will hold tension for nearly forever.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I was having issues with a 1911 9MM's extractor too. Purchased a Wilson Bullet Proof Extractor and tested it today. It too passes the 10-8 test and I didn't even adjust it before test fire as it dry cycled loaded ammo so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I was having issues with a 1911 9MM's extractor too. Purchased a Wilson Bullet Proof Extractor and tested it today. It too passes the 10-8 test and I didn't even adjust it before test fire as it dry cycled loaded ammo so well.
    Powerball is almost $400m you should probably buy a ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Aftec really is a miracle in Technicolor. Lots of guys use them to get their 2011s running correctly and they use coil springs instead of leaf springs, but I think the main thing is that most people aren't willing to drop a hundred bucks on an extractor when you can buy a EGW HD which will hold tension for nearly forever.
    Going rate is $85, but I get your point, more than twice a high end traditional extractor. However, some of the people buying traditional extractors are buying the tensioning tools as well, which reduces the cost difference.

When I had a scope mount directly above my ejection port, even the best traditional extractor wasn’t cutting it.

Site Supporter
    I've fit a lot of .45 Extractors all Wilson Combat Bulletproofs. There is an art and science to tuning a 1911 extractor. When it comes to a 9mm 1911 it involves a bit of Voodoo.....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List