Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 and the 10-8 Extractor Test

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This X 100. The Weigand tool is fantastic and a must have for me now. @NPV what does "clocking in the tunnel" mean?

My Lipsey's Combat Operator 9mm extractor created all this frustration for me too at first. Dave Sams who super accurized it, offered me general advice to remove the extractor and clean the channel with each cleaning - offered as generic 1911 advice - regardless of caliber.

Well that's a major PIA prying on the extractor hook to get it out and just as PIA driving the bitch back in. I got to thinking that this in and out kept decreasing my extractor tension so the pistol had a short life span of smooth running ejection.

Now I put a heavy tensioned bend with the marvelous Weigand tool and the pistol runs great with good consistent ejection. It runs and runs as well as my superlative .45s (Sams .45, CQB and SA LB Operator). I have decided to not routinely remove the 9mm's extractor for routine cleaning (approximately 500-800 round intervals) and I'll live with the guilt.
    Clocking in the tunnel means that the extractor has room once installed to rotate a little: If the hook typically points at due 9 o'clock in the gun, imagine it having enough wiggle to rotate between 8 and 10. The result is inconsistent tension and engagement with the case rim. The fix is a fitted fps that holds the extractor more precisely/firmly in the rear.

I've been wondering the same thing about the force necessary to pull the extractor; pushing the hook over to pull it and popping it back in might eat up a little tension each time. If this ends up being a thing, filing that tab down a should solve it as it'll give the whole unit a little more room to hook-in while installed (and being taken in and out)

And inexpensive to boot!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

See!!! Capitalism DOES work!

Every time I think about using a 1911 for carry (and I have quite a few in 9mm and .38 Super), a thread like this comes along and after reading I go; nope, sticking with Glock/Beretta/etc/etc.

Then again, I'm not that mechanically inclined.

cc

I'm not mechanically inclined either, but a 1911 that's set up correctly will basically stay that way over long round counts. I can detail strip my 1911s but I've never attempted to tune anything about them.

May I offer a 1911 extractor-related experience and make a suggestion? My Delta Elite was a reliablity nightmare when I got it- it couldn't make it through a magazine of factory ammo without one or more 3-point stoppages, wedged hard up against the chamber, feed ramp, and breechface. I was living in Houston at the time, so it was easy to drop it off at Briley and ask them to fix it, and to make sure it could pass the 10-8 Extractor Test, which it now does.

I might suggest a similar approach. Back during Todd's Springfield Operator test, there was a brief discussion about how different shops set up 9mm 1911 extractors. Wilson was mentioned in high regard, and you can send them your gun, and they'll fit and tune their own extractor to the gun for what seems like a reasonable price. You could keep the old extractor as a spare.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

The thing I found with 9mms is to not remove the extractor. Ever.

Pull the firing pin stop and the extractor moves around enough to blow brake cleaner through the tunnel and blast out any gunk.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The thing I found with 9mms is to not remove the extractor. Ever.

Pull the firing pin stop and the extractor moves around enough to blow brake cleaner through the tunnel and blast out any gunk.
    Why? Does it make all the magic leak out?
    Seriously though, I would like to hear your thoughts on this as I am on my first 9mm 2011, but certainly not my first 1911 (all in .45)
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    When a 1911 is set up, it will tend to stay set up.

My Springfield 1911 is my competition gun and has never had a feedway stoppage. I recently ticked past 8,000 rounds with it though so it's still fairly new.

I have a Kimber(snert) that was a problem until I did some mild extractor tuning. Now the thing easily passes the 10-8 test and I've been using it as my single stack minor gun.

Set the gun up right, then shoot it til something breaks...but don't be surprised if nothing breaks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Why? Does it make all the magic leak out?
    Seriously though, I would like to hear your thoughts on this as I am on my first 9mm 2011, but certainly not my first 1911 (all in .45)

Because it has to be bent so much to get tension on the case it's easy unbend 'em when you take it out. They don't just slip out like a 45.

User Tag List