Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSSF Match.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I just signed up for my first GSSF match. New Smyrna Beach, FL. I'm probably going on Saturday, and only shooting a single division. I can't really justify shooting the 4 divisions my G17 could. It would cost more than double what a USPSA match would cost me. It's probably going to be a 3 hour drive one way though. So that's kind of fun.

I really love Beretta, and I really like USPSA... but the chance of winning a pistol even if it's a random giveaway is too much. I think Gabe is the one who said he likes USPSA for the challenge and GSSF for the loot. I haven't been able to make it to a USPSA match in a few months, so I figured a GSSF match would be a nice no pressure shooting match with less parts. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone else headed to the same match, or GSSF in general?

-Cory
    I've shot a few but have missed a few years. I should hit the one at my club in March. I've won two pistols over the years in the random drawings.

I only shot two divisions once. I generally pick on. I've a low tolerance from schlepping. Like to travel light and stay focused on one thing. I can't say I love loitering around a stage waiting to shoot with 4 or 5 guys ahead of me each shooting 4 divisions.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would definitely recommend signing up for every division you can, for no other reason than shooting multiple divisions helps warm you up and give you a better overall chance of winning something.

What is your USPSA classification? GSSF will stick you in master class if you're M or GM, and the rules for prizes are a bit different there. Prizes are easier to come by in amateur. It always takes me a couple runs to dial into the slow speed of GSSF compared to USPSA, so I almost consider the first division I shoot to be a warm up, and then consider the other divisions as automatic gun + cash. At my range if you shoot 4+ divisions, there are special bays setup just for those shooters that often have a much shorter line than the standard bays.

@cor_man257 Cory good luck at the match.

I looked and it’s 2.5 hours for me to NSB, just too long of a drive. I really wish there were some GSSF matches on the West Coast of FL.

Please post back your experiences, I’d definitely like to shoot one, one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @cor_man257 Cory good luck at the match.

I looked and it’s 2.5 hours for me to NSB, just too long of a drive. I really wish there were some GSSF matches on the West Coast of FL.

Please post back your experiences, I’d definitely like to shoot one, one of these days.
    Will do. It's really too far for me to drive as well. This will make the 2nd time I've gone there for a match
    (The first was a USPSA).

I think it's going to be INCREDIBLY similar to the "outlaw" steel challenge matches from when I was in Kentucky. The multiple strings 10 shots each, no draws seems identical.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Will do. It's really too far for me to drive as well. This will make the 2nd time I've gone there for a match
    (The first was a USPSA).

I think it's going to be INCREDIBLY similar to the "outlaw" steel challenge matches from when I was in Kentucky. The multiple strings 10 shots each, no draws seems identical.

-Cory
    Cool. We really have to link up in Hernando sometime. We are in our new place and my work travel will not pick up again seriously until July, so my plan is to hit a few more USPSA matches at either HSC or WAC next few months. I need like one good classifier to get into C class.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Cool. We really have to link up in Hernando sometime. We are in our new place and my work travel will not pick up again seriously until July, so my plan is to hit a few more USPSA matches at either HSC or WAC next few months. I need like one good classifier to get into C class.
    Hernando is a lot easier for me, but WAC seems like the better match. Plus I know WAC is doable for Les on occassion.

My wifely tolerance is tapped for this month. I'll check the schedules and see what matches I can make. This is long over due.

-Cory

First GSSF match in the books. Drove all the way back to beautiful Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club.

My OEM ban-state 10 rounders were unusable. They would drop out on every shot. The retaining ledge is worn too much. They goofed me pretty bad on one stage. Luckily, at the match I picked up 3 gen5 17 round mags for $10 each.

I shot about how I thought I would. "Soup can" up close, man size a tad further. Shooting a Beretta is so much more forgiving and I enjoy my Langdon guns far more.

I'm not a Glock fanatic, but I'll do this once a year at least just because it's fun. Even if you drive 2+ hours, get rained on, have gun problems, shoot "meh" level, and only do a single division due to time. It was a GREAT day shooting, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

[Ig]First GSSF match in the books. Drove all the way back to beautiful Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club.

My OEM ban-state 10 rounders were unusable. They would drop out on every shot. The retaining ledge is worn too much. They goofed me pretty bad on one stage. Luckily, at the match I picked up 3 gen5 17 round mags for $10 each.

I shot about how I thought I would. "Soup can" up close, man size a tad further. Shooting a Beretta is so much more forgiving and I enjoy my Langdon guns far more.

I'm not a Glock fanatic, but I'll do this once a year at least just because it's fun. Even if you drive 2+ hours, get rained on, have gun problems, shoot "meh" level, and only do a single division due to time. It was a GREAT day shooting, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

http://instagram.com/p/B8CnvCwlcan/

Feel free with any questions or whatnot.

-Cory

According to prelim results, I placed 18th in my division.

I really feel I could have done better. On a day withh good weather, mags that don't require grip change, and running another division first for "practice" I think I could have reasonably been higher in the results.

The match seems to be far more gun owners than shooters. Which is honestly a great thing for our sports, and makes for a fun match.

All the same 18 of 151 is still a nice little ego boost. Hopefully I'll snag a pistol ot something when final results post. If not, I'm still excited for next year's match.

-Cory

GSSF is definitely geared toward the newcomer, that's for sure. Even people who might feel too intimidated to try other shooting sports won't have that problem with GSSF.

User Tag List