Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 range reports

Hammertime
    I impulse bought a G44 a couple days ago, shot today

I shot 576 rounds all in one session. 100 Minimags, 226 Golden Bullet, 150 Aguila Super Extra and ended with another 100 Minimags. I didn’t intend to shoot so much ammo, but it ran so well and I was having so much fun I couldn’t quit til the ammo was gone.

I generously oiled the Glock touch points with a few drops of Slip EWL prior to shooting I intended to add oil every couple hundred rounds but it never really slowed down so I let it roll.

I shot fairly fast and the gun got hot enough I could not touch the slide releases or disassembly latch for long. Zero problems except when using the Golden Bullet ammo. Honestly that stuff was garbage and very inconsistent in recoil. All the malfunctions were weak rounds that did not fully extract. 5/226 so around 2%. Zero stoppages with the CCI Minimags or Aguila Superextra.

I am very impressed with the gun and see zero need for my Advantage Arms .22 conversions any more. I have tried to get a lot of .22 pistols to run over the years and this one is amongst the best running. It runs circles around the conversions for reliability.

I did some 25 yard shooting and could keep the rounds on a B8 but it wasn’t blowing me away with accuracy or anything maybe 6-7” groups. May be a function of me and the sights more than the gun. Today was all about function testing and getting it hot and just seeing if it would run. I wish I had about thirty more mags!

I may have found my “old man gun” finally.

Ammunition:
    200 CCI Minimag 40 grain FMJ
    150 Aguila Super Extra 40 grain FMJ
    226 Remington Golden Bullet

Stoppages:
    1 Stovepipe: Golden Bullet.
    4 FTExtract partial extraction. All weak rounds. All Remington Golden Bullet.
    All cleared with a tap rack.

Ran 100 rounds through mine so far, far from any real range report but I can say this is every bit of a .22 than any other semi.

50 rounds Winchester Wildcat, many low powered rounds caused stoppages.
    50 rounds Remington Thunderbolt, better than the Winchester but still the occasional under powered round caused stoppages.

A common issue between both rounds were "feed ramp stoppages" common to .22 semis: sometimes the top round would jam into the bottom of the feed ramp area OR attempt to feed into the top of the chamber. (Edit to add: this was only encountered with a full magazine chambering the first round)

The only real head scratcher was when I performed a slide lock reload using the Rem TB in a full magazine: the top round being chambered was launched out of the pistol and downrange about 12 feet, the slide closing on an empty chamber. Never seen that before.

I am not overly impressed with the pistol (and I drink the Glock-Aid) and put it in line with the rest: it is a semi .22 and reliability sucks. I do love that the pistol gives me a Glock trigger and a cheap way to practice marksmanship.
    Last edited by echo5charlie; 02-08-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    50 rounds Winchester Wildcat, many low powered rounds caused stoppages.
    50 rounds Remington Thunderbolt, better than the Winchester but still the occasional under powered round caused stoppages.

it is a semi .22 and reliability sucks. .
    For crying out loud, give it a chance with some good ammo.
    The G44 a friend and I shot at the rental range was 100% on CCI SV.
    My similar size Plastic M&P Compact is 100% on Minimags and once "broken in" on them is doing fine with CCI SV and Aquila HV and even some old stock Golden Bullets.
    A guy I know is entirely happy with 1-2% failures on cheap ammo in his G44 because he doesn't want to pay for Minimags which he found to work all the time.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    For crying out loud, give it a chance with some good ammo.
    The G44 a friend and I shot at the rental range was 100% on CCI SV.
    My similar size Plastic M&P Compact is 100% on Minimags and once "broken in" on them is doing fine with CCI SV and Aquila HV and even some old stock Golden Bullets.
    A guy I know is entirely happy with 1-2% failures on cheap ammo in his G44 because he doesn't want to pay for Minimags which he found to work all the time.
    Meh. Not impressed. Not pissed either, it's actually what I expected. It is a semi .22 and as such can NEVER live up to centerfire Glock reliability. It's not a knock, it's a fact. Don't get me wrong, if it requires CCI MiniMags to attain near-100% reliabilty I will run that. It's a .22, sometime that's what you have to do.

"The G44 was thoroughly tested with a wide variety of ammunition to ensure maximum performance and redefine what small can do." - Glock

If the G44 will require MiniMags to keep that near-100% reliability then Glock has not redefined anything, they just hit the status quo for semi auto .22s.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter
    Dang, all those seasons I shot NRA Conventional Pistol and UIT Sport Pistol with my Ruger MKII with 100% reliability, and the folks I shot with using S&W M41s, old High Standards, Walthers, Pardinis and such with the same results...to think we were doing it wrong. Gosh.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Dang, all those seasons I shot NRA Conventional Pistol and UIT Sport Pistol with my Ruger MKII with 100% reliability, and the folks I shot with using S&W M41s, old High Standards, Walthers, Pardinis and such with the same results...to think we were doing it wrong. Gosh.
    Never mind all that. Weren't you paying attention? Glock says these are legendary.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    To be fair, my semi auto .22 experience so far is:

Two Advantage Arms Glock conversion. Run kinda okay with quality ammo and lots of oil.

Beretta Bobcat: never could get better than 95-97% reliable no matter the ammo or cleanliness.

Beretta 92 conversion: pretty reliable.

M&P compact: problematic then reliable after a trip to the factory.

Hammertime
    I got out to the range today to dial in the sights and test the gun with a larger variety of ammo. 415 more rounds for a total of 1100 since I oiled it or cleaned it.

Shot a box of each of the below plus some more Aguila SuperExtra plated round nose.

Fiocchi 40 grain SV LRN
    Winchester Match 40 grain SV T22 LRN
    Federal Match 40 grain SV LRN
    Armscor 40 grain SV LRN
    CCI Velocitor 40 grain plated HP 1435 FPS
    CCI Stinger 32 grain plated HP 1640 FPS

All ran great.

I had two light strikes with the Aguila that fired second hit. And one fail to lock back on empty with Armscor.

The rear sight needs to be dialed all the way down for 25 yard zero and I had to hold at bottom of black on a B8.

Best group was 3.5” with the CCI Velocitors.

Most groups were 5” which is probably me.

The Stingers and Velocitors are markedly hotter than the other loads.

I have rarely been as happy with a firearm purchase. It lets me shoot a lot for cheap and doesn’t beat me up.

The 44 can be summed up as cheap to shoot, easy on your hands, with a Glock trigger and form factor. Lots of .22’s do the cheap and easy thing, not too many the Glock trigger and form factor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks to all for providing reports.

Great info. Great thread.

User Tag List