Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 range reports

As reported by my son who just got in from a range session with his Police Cadet Post.

The Cadets had a new G44 on the range tonight. The officer who brought it acted like he didn't trust the G44. My son said anyone shooting the G44 was put on the extreme right hand side of the indoor range. My son was specifically told this was a precaution if the extractor blew out.

He did not like the mushy trigger. Feeding from a full (10) magazine was problematic. Trouble getting the last few rounds to sit properly in the magazine.

One of the officers had a 17 frame with a .22 LR conversion upper. My son said he much preferred shooting the 17. Much better trigger on the 17.

A retired officer on the range with the cadets showed my son a cell phone picture of his G44 with a cracked slide after 10 rounds. The crack was from the ejection port to the rear sight. Already on the way back to Glock.

Color me paranoid, but I’d take zero chance pulling the trigger on something that I thought might blow up in my hand. I was really close to buying one during release week too.

Site Supporter
    I really want one of these but once again the wisdom of not being the first kid on the block with the new toy that just came out is demonstrated.

Any .22 I bring to the range is likely to be handed to my wife or my 12 year old daughter so they can shoot it. Having it blow up in one of their hands, or even having too many malfunctions, would likely dampen their enthusiasm for the next trip to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Just back from the range. Shot 250 rounds of the Aguila super extra mini mag substitute rounds through the G44. Had a total of 4 light strikes... each fired with a second whack of the striker. No failures to feed, extract or eject. Also put 50ish rounds through an LCP2 22. Similar performance there... 1 light strike, no feeding, extraction, or ejection issues.

Sometime this weekend or Monday, I’ll run 50-100 of these through a MK3 22/45 and my S&W model 17. Those are 2 of my most vetted reliable rimfires. I’m mostly curious about the light strikes... firing pin indents from both these new guns look a tiny bit shallow. Maybe I’ll bring along the 43c with the centerfire mainspring as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Just back from the range. Shot 250 rounds of the Aguila super extra mini mag substitute rounds through the G44. Had a total of 4 light strikes... each fired with a second whack of the striker. No failures to feed, extract or eject. Also put 50ish rounds through an LCP2 22. Similar performance there... 1 light strike, no feeding, extraction, or ejection issues.

Sometime this weekend or Monday, I’ll run 50-100 of these through a MK3 22/45 and my S&W model 17. Those are 2 of my most vetted reliable rimfires. I’m mostly curious about the light strikes... firing pin indents from both these new guns look a tiny bit shallow. Maybe I’ll bring along the 43c with the centerfire mainspring as well.
    Thanks for all of that report.

I have a question for you too if you don't mind. I have seen that the Glock 44 is OK to dry fire without snap caps. Can you explain what was said about that and how it does that without possible damage to the gun ?

No inside knowledge on the design... my presumption on rimfires that are “safe to dry fire” is a precise measurement from firing pin to breechface... but I’m just guessing.

The complaints I have heard are:

The 44 is too expensive.

The 44 doesn’t come with a threaded barrel.

The 44 has occasional light strikes.

The 44 has some stoppages.

The 44 can be tricky to get the top cartridge or two in properly.

The 44 can kaboom.

Only the last one bothers me — if it kabooms and/ or cracks the slide, that will be a problem.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The complaints I have heard are:

The 44 is too expensive.

The 44 doesn’t come with a threaded barrel.

The 44 has occasional light strikes.

The 44 has some stoppages.

The 44 can be tricky to get the top cartridge or two in properly.

The 44 can kaboom.

Only the last one bothers me — if it kabooms and/ or cracks the slide, that will be a problem.
    The last 4 issues concern me, but I am confident that they will ultimately be addressed by Glock.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    The .22 Rimfire is the world's most finicky round in the sense that failures to fire and feeding issues are frequently reported. Said another way, there is a high degree of variation from brand to brand and even within brands. Now that ammo has become vastly less expensive, it's safe to assume that QC effort has decreased with this caliber too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The .22 Rimfire is the world's most finicky round in the sense that failures to fire and feeding issues are frequently reported. Said another way, there is a high degree of variation from brand to brand and even within brands. Now that ammo has become vastly less expensive, it's safe to assume that QC effort has decreased with this caliber too.
    My Browning Buck Mark will feed and fire bulk packaged Federal or Winchester with zero issues, or at worst close to zero issues.

User Tag List