Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 range reports

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I received my Nelson Precision Optics Ready Slide this morning. It's been a long wait. First impressions out of the box were good.

After fondling the slide briefly, the reality set in that I had no innards for the slide. We have one G44 and it's my wife's. Stripping the slide on 'her' pistol would be soldier you are a no go at this station kind of deal.

A quick search of the internet revealed that buying the innards, if I could find them in stock, would be kind of expensive. Since it was a balmy 62 degrees out, I hoped on my Street Glide and went for a ride to a LGS in an adjoining town. There I purchased a G44 of my very own for $359.00 which may or may not have been a good price, but it suited me.

After a brief detour on the way home, I set about transferring parts. The OEM stuff slid right in and my Holsun 507C (which I bought for this slide nearly 3/4 of a year ago - you think LaRue is slow) slide right onto the posts with a little wiggle and a bite of the tongue, snug it was. The Nelson provided sights are readily visible in the window and suit me fine - pretty narrow front with a wideish rear.

The new G44 was surprisingly devoid of any of the copper-colored lube, so I lubed everything. Ready for the range tomorrow or Monday.

Attachment 80528 Attachment 80529

Sorry about the focus on the sights!
    I got my replacement slide and got everything mounted up. Still haven’t had a chance to go shoot it yet. Maybe later this week.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter

Nelson Prevision Optics slide

I’m very interested to see how this works.

I can’t imagine that .22LR can generate enough recoil impulse to cycle the new slide with an optic on it, but I hope I’m wrong

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I’m very interested to see how this works.

I can’t imagine that .22LR can generate enough recoil impulse to cycle the new slide with an optic on it, but I hope I’m wrong
    Took 8 months longer than quoted, but I got mine last week. Haven't mounted an optic yet and honestly probably won't shoot it until spring.

Got to the range today with Nelson Precision slide with Holsun 507C mounted.

Fired about 200 rounds, no malfunctions.

The Holsun instructions said it should be pretty close to on at 25 yards, and it was. For some reason I had way more dot wobble than normal. perhaps because this is such a light pistol? I don't know.

After zeroing the optic, I shut it off and shot quite a few rounds with the irons. It was on for windage but I was stringing them up and down about two to 4 inches high. I'm pretty sure that was a combination of lighting and 67-year-old eyes. I'm going to put a Dawson fiber optic on it and I'm sure that will cure the problem.

The only negative that I encountered was a small one.

Due to our belief that the more admin stuff you do with the pistol in the holster, the less likely you are to have unintended shots when training the masses, our/practice was to admin load from empty weapon in holster (slide forward). So, to admin load you insert the magazine, draw the pistol, cycle the action, holster, remove magazine, load another round and reinsert mag, tugging to make sure it is seated.

Even though I'm no longer training recruits, I continue this practice. Problem is the Nelson Precision slide on MY G44 frame, will not pick up the first round in the magazine. So, you have to load from a slide locked back position. The pistol functioned perfectly during in-battery and out-of-battery reloads, so really, this is no biggie

As a final test I ran the pistol through a couple of practice Action Pistol barricade events. Shot a 468 and a 464, which is pretty good for me. About 12-15 points above my average with 9mm irons. I'm sure it will get better as I put in the time dialing in my draw so I don't have to hunt the reticle and then rush my shots.

I'm happy as can be.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Thanks very much for the review.
    On the feeding issue: one technique I have used with G44 mags is to turn a fully charged mag upside down, pull the mag tabs up and sort of set the cartridges so they are at an angle. It seems to help with the feeding issue in that the first cartridge sits more at an angle.
    Like you, I really enjoy my G44 with a red fiber optic front and Heinie rear sight. Thanks again for posting on the upper.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    On the feeding issue: one technique I have used with G44 mags is to turn a fully charged mag upside down, pull the mag tabs up and sort of set the cartridges so they are at an angle. It seems to help with the feeding issue in that the first cartridge sits more at an angle.
    Like you, I really enjoy my G44 with a red fiber optic front and Heinie rear sight. Thanks again for posting on the upper.
    That is what I do. Works great.

Site Supporter
    Name:  20211129_194129.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  38.6 KB
    Name:  20211129_194122.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  39.9 KB
    Name:  20211129_194058.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  27.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    That is what I do. Works great.
    Me too.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post

Glad to be of some use.

My wife has a G44 that we've shot a lot, found out early on that the mags are finicky on how the first round presents so we do the same thing, it didn't work with the Nelson slide. I took the slide innards out of the OEM slide on this one to put the Nelson into service, so I don't know if the OEM slide would have the same issue.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Are people shooting CCI Standard with their G44s? How does it like them?

User Tag List