Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 range reports

Banned
    I have been shooting my Glock 44 for almost a year now and with a variety of different bulk ammo as I could find it. I never had any issues with any ammo and I'm very pleased with the gun.

I did find some Federal Automatch ammo at Walmart a few weeks ago for about 5.5 cents a round so I bought a thousand round (actually 975 rounds) because they have a 3 box limit. I've shot a good bit of Federal Champion through the gun and never had a problem.

But, suddenly I find this Automatch ammo to be very inconsistent. In the first box almost like a drumbeat, every other round failed to eject and feed the next round. I could tell it was going to do it too because I could feel and hear the difference in the shot as I was firing it. Oddly it seemed so consistently to be ever other round or every third round. But all of a sudden as I got into the second box, I would fire all 10 rounds in a mag with zero malfunctions, so I assumed the gun was getting used to that ammo and just forgot about the problem.

Now I get the third box out and now it is back to the same issue with at least 2 or 3 of 10 rounds with a weak fire and failure to feed the next round, or if the last round, it fails to lock back the slide.

Really surprised how inconsistent ammo is from Federal, especially on ammo that the box says is made especially for semi-auto pistols.

Anyone else shooting that ammo ? Do you have the same or similar problems ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post

Really surprised how inconsistent ammo is from Federal, especially on ammo that the box says is made especially for semi-auto pistols.

Anyone else shooting that ammo ? Do you have the same or similar problems ?
    I think it's due to the fact that ammo manufacturers have been running non stop like they've claimed, and quality has taken a hit. At the last match I shot, a friend experienced a failure to fire several times per mag with recently purchased Blazer Brass. He never had issues with it before. Neither have I, and from what I understand, it's one of the better budget brands since it's made by CCI. I wonder if others have seen the same issues with the premium 22 ammo that's suggested for defense like CCI Mini Mag or Velocitors.

Banned
    I would have thought that this was due to the amount of powder in the round.

I would think that would be a completely automated and frequently verified step in the manufacturing process. So, I'm kind of surprised that 2 or 3 out of 10 rounds would be underloaded.

That's a part of the process that should not be affected by anything having to do with the current ammo situation.

But I certainly don't know and you may well be correct.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    I would have thought that this was due to the amount of powder in the round.

I would think that would be a completely automated and frequently verified step in the manufacturing process. So, I'm kind of surprised that 2 or 3 out of 10 rounds would be underloaded.

That's a part of the process that should not be affected by anything having to do with the current ammo situation.

But I certainly don't know and you may well be correct.
    The faster you run automated processes the less repeatable.

Banned
    That is a pretty generalized statement to make. The process can be managed and will be repeatable within a predictable range if the process is "in control." If it is not "in control" then it may not produce predictable results within +/- 3 standard deviations about the mean. I would assume that they know this and that the required spec for the amount of powder is within that +/- 3 std. dev. about the mean, or they would not run the process and knowingly produce defective units. I spent a lifetime doing SPC on machine and process capability. If they knew the machine/process was going to produce out of spec product, they should set up an inspection and sorting step following the process. Kind of hard to do with something like loading powder into a round of ammunition because the sorting process problem involves firing or otherwise destroying the output. So, if they know they can't produce within spec an acceptable level, they should fix the machine/process unless they are willing to ship a lot of bad product to their customer. I kind of doubt that.

I was having good luck with Federal bulk pack 36gr. Quite reliable.
    Then I opened a box from a new lot and it was consistently underpowered and often did not cycle the slide fully.
    I agree that some ammunition manufacturers have poor quality control on the bulk pack ammo especially lately.
    I just opened a box of the same ammo from a different lot again and it functions perfectly again.

Banned
    I have shot a lot of the 525 round Federal Bulk pack in the past and have a few boxes left still now. I don't think I have ever had any problems with that ammo and certainly not since I started shooting a Glock 44. Went through it like butter. I never had a failure to eject or feed with that gun and a couple of thousand rounds through it until I started shooting this Federal Automatch.

My G44 has been flawless for about 500 rounds now. Not a single hiccup with 9 different kinds of ammo I've tried - even in freezing temps. The kids love doing pistol drills with it too.
    We did add a Ghost connecter to clean up the trigger a little bit. And we tried the Pro Mag extended mags and found them to be inferior to the Glock OE mags,

Name:  20210213_102406.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  54.8 KB

Kind of reviving this to ask a question - has anyone received an optic cut slide for the G44 from Nelson Precision? Reason I'm asking is I ordered one about 6 months ago and it never showed up.

When I asked I got a reply from J. Nelson saying they should be going out last of July - first of August. Nothing yet.

I see most items on their site are either 'pre-order' or 'out of stock' - is this a sign of the times, or of a business that is struggling for other reasons?

Thanks.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter

Glock 44 range reports

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Kind of reviving this to ask a question - has anyone received an optic cut slide for the G44 from Nelson Precision? Reason I'm asking is I ordered one about 6 months ago and it never showed up.

When I asked I got a reply from J. Nelson saying they should be going out last of July - first of August. Nothing yet.

I see most items on their site are either 'pre-order' or 'out of stock' - is this a sign of the times, or of a business that is struggling for other reasons?

Thanks.
    I have been waiting a few months as well. According to their Instagram page, all of the ordered slides are completed, and are now going to be anodized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List