Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 range reports

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    If they had touted it with "it's a great 22 semi-automatic that is reliable if you only shoot the most expensive 22 lr ammo available on the market."

But they didn't ! They touted it like it would pretty much shoot anything ! And it doesn't !

I already got a 22 that shoots CCI mini mags, I was looking for one that would shoot bulk ammo.
    Are you saying that it only runs on Eley and Lapua? Because you said it only runs on the most expensive ammunition on the market. CCI Green Tag is more expensive than Mini Mags, as are a number of other offerings I haven’t seen tested in this thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Are you saying that it only runs on Eley and Lapua? Because you said it only runs on the most expensive ammunition on the market. CCI Green Tag is more expensive than Mini Mags, as are a number of other offerings I haven’t seen tested in this thread.
    I think you get my point. If you want to nit-pick what I said fine, but the message is clear to most on here, and since I expressly mentioned CCI mini mag I think you know exactly what ammo I was referring to.

But thanks for pointing out that my statement was technically incorrect.

Bulk pack rimfire from the bigs is no better than "okay" ammo. Nice if a gun runs it, and many do, but I don't expect it.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    So I took my new G-44 on a range trip today to a large Dallas area PD's range. The two guys there are still waiting on theirs and were fired up to shoot mine. They had a huge stash of different brands of .22 LR ammo, most of it citizen turn in ammo. If you've ever been on the desk at a PD, it's a frequent event for usually an older lady to come in and say her husband, the shooter, has gone to the great sky range and she wants to "turn in" his guns and/or ammo. (We had trained desk folks to NEVER get a property tag before several of us had the chance to come down and look over what was available and to buy anything viable from the grieving widow). Based on packaging, some of this ammo was 40 plus years old, so I knew we would find out quickly about my new G-44.

We fired CCI Mini Mag, Winchester Wildcat (cheap WalMart ammo), Winchester Ace (70s vintage), Remington Standard Velocity, Winchester HV HP and a gob of unknown loose stuff in boxes. I even found some that was stuck together in clumps of rounds. Broke them free and loaded the mags with that, too.

400ish rounds later and had one fail to fire Mini Mag (fired on second try) and one feedway stoppage which resulted after a clearly underpowered round right before failed to run the slide adequately to provide proper function. I even ran the 1911 extractor isolation test (chambered round with no magazine) and got a clean 10/10 pass. Basically, this pistol gobbled up ammo like a Texas feral hog (whose type will eat virtually anything). I'm going to detail strip it, clean and lube it and start doing some 25 yard ammo testing and zeroing for an upcoming GSSF match with the new .22 class.

It's a keeper...
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 02-11-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Crap. Now I want a Glock 44.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Crap. Now I want a Glock 44.
    As do I. But think I'll hold off a while, hoping Glock brings out a MOS version.

As an aside, my last two range trips I took my RMR-equipped M&P .22 (the original one) to the range. Both times, and without looking closely, I grabbed some old, and mismatched boxes of .22 ammo out of the safe (working on cleaning out the "leftovers").

This gun usually functions virtually 100% with high-velocity .22 ammo. On the first of the above trips, it wasn't, hardly ejecting any of the rounds, so I looked a bit more closely at the box. It was subsonic suppressor ammo. Interestingly, that ammo works well in my "squirrel guy", a Ruger .22/.45 with suppressor mounted.

The second trip (clearly, I didn't learn from the first), I grabbed more miscellaneous ammo. I opened the first 50-rd box, and it was rat shot, the old version with the long, crimped brass cases. It was 100% - - - 100% of it not ejecting. I switched to some bulk .22 from a box store. It ran "better", about 70%. Went back to CCI Mini Mags, which ran 100%.

Bring on the MOS G44, please Glock!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    So I took my new G-44 on a range trip today to a large Dallas area PD's range. The two guys there are still waiting on theirs and were fired up to shoot mine. They had a huge stash of different brands of .22 LR ammo, most of it citizen turn in ammo. If you've ever been on the desk at a PD, it's a frequent event for usually an older lady to come in and say her husband, the shooter, has gone to the great sky range and she wants to "turn in" his guns and/or ammo. (We had trained desk folks to NEVER get a property tag before several of us had the chance to come down and look over what was available and to buy anything viable from the grieving widow). Based on packaging, some of this ammo was 40 plus years old, so I knew we would find out quickly about my new G-44.

We fired CCI Mini Mag, Winchester Wildcat (cheap WalMart ammo), Winchester Ace (70s vintage), Remington Standard Velocity, Winchester HV HP and a gob of unknown loose stuff in boxes. I even found some that was stuck together in clumps of rounds. Broke them free and loaded the mags with that, too.

400ish rounds later and had one fail to fire Mini Mag (fired on second try) and one feedway stoppage which resulted after a clearly underpowered round right before failed to run the slide adequately to provide proper function. I even ran the 1911 extractor isolation test (chambered round with no magazine) and got a clean 10/10 pass. Basically, this pistol gobbled up ammo like a Texas feral hog (whose type will eat virtually anything). I'm going to detail strip it, clean and lube it and start doing some 25 yard ammo testing and zeroing for an upcoming GSSF match with the new .22 class.

It's a keeper...
    Glad to hear about both the good range report and that your people found a way to do right by the grieving widows while getting the guns into good hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    As do I. But think I'll hold off a while, hoping Glock brings out a MOS version.

You aren't serious I hope. What makes you think a RDS will run on a G44?

Quote Originally Posted by HTM View Post
    You aren't serious I hope. What makes you think a RDS will run on a G44?
    I have no idea if it will or not as is, or whether it would with minimal mods by Glock or another. But then, why not? My Walther-made M&P .22 has a non-ferrous slide, and as with the G44's "hybrid steel-polymer slide", I presume that's for weight reduction needed to cycle with .22s. And, although it was not designed for a red dot, the S&W works fine with the added one-ounce-plus weight of an RMR (thank you Mark Housel), at least with hi-vel loadings like MiniMags. No idea if the G44 slide, as is or with some mods, can hold a dot securely.

One would think if Glock built the G44 to more/less G19 dimensions, there was some thought to it being used as a low cost trainer. And if Glock is working to be active in the red dot-equipped pistol market, is it too far a stretch to think the G44 could be modified to work with a dot? I would have expected Glock to have at least considered that pathway in designing the G44. So if sales of the standard G44 meet some threshold, perhaps a MOS versions isn't unreasonable.

I can hope . . .

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I don't think you'll see that happen. They used a polymer/steel "laminate" slide to get the slide light enough for reliable function. To then add 3 - 3.5 or so ounces to that slide with an MOS plate and optic will virtually guarantee the gun won't work properly. And since the slide is polymer for most of its mass and totally so on top, I doubt Glock is going to start screwing things into polymer.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List