Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rural Americans Are Bad People

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The impoverished parts of it can be very depressing.

My grandfather pastored a church in Logan County for 20 years. I've been all over some of the most economically depressed parts of the state.

It's one of many reasons why I've never had much sympathy for the argument of "white privilege"

A bunch of stupid motherfuckers out there do not seem to understand the difference between whites with privilege and white privilege.

Whites with privilege are some of the worst people you are going to encounter in life. Their attitudes and behaviors are by no means universal.
    My oldest son made the mistake of marrying two successive women from West Virginia. Consequently, I've spent more time there than I ever wanted to. Thankfully, he's now divested himself of the last one, so the probability of ever going back to the sweaty ball sack of CONUS is slim to none. I've told him if number three winds up being a native he's on his own, I'm not going back. The only other state on my list of no return is California.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The only place that can compete with Detroit for a post-apocalypse/Walking Dead vibe is West Virginia. I've ben all over the world, including a good part of CONUS and I've never seen a more soul sucking place than WV.
    🙄

As mentioned, there are some impoverished areas, but even in those places there are some of the best people I've ever met. Happy too.

I've seen equally soul sucking places in other states. Nowhere is immune. Sometimes it's poor white rural folks. Sometimes it's poor black urban folks. Regardless, it's everywhere, just as great people and places are everywhere.

It's also largely a matter of perspective. The most soul sucking I've ever endured was a week in Manhattan. And I can't say the people I saw and met there seemed any happier than the people in southern WV or eastern KY or any other impoverished rural areas. In fact most of them looked downright depressed. And they sure as fuck weren't friendlier.

Here's what I'm wondering- why in the hell is the Democratic party glomming onto Aristocratic Disdain & Arrogant Snobbery as a winning elections strategy?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Here's what I'm wondering- why in the hell is the Democratic party glomming onto Aristocratic Disdain & Arrogant Snobbery as a winning elections strategy?
    Maybe because it has worked for someone else, (however shameful),...and they're desperate.

What I'm wondering is why some of us here are trashing one another's home states. It seems...unseemly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe because it has worked for someone else, (however shameful),...and they're desperate.
    Look at Trump- he ran on the idea that the elitist suck(media, GOP establishment, Hillary, et al), they want to meddle in your lives, and he's here to defend the little guy against those elitist.
    And it's working for him.

Meanwhile, the Democrats seem to think that Hillary's "call them Deplorables" strategy failed because she didn't do it hard enough.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Look at Trump- he ran on the idea that the elitist suck(media, GOP establishment, Hillary, et al), they want to meddle in your lives, and he's here to defend the little guy against those elitist.
    And it's working for him.

Meanwhile, the Democrats seem to think that Hillary's "call them Deplorables" strategy failed because she didn't do it hard enough.

"What difference, at this point, does it make?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Here’s a short video you might find interesting @willie

I've lived not far from Alva OK for years now. Didn't know until maybe two years ago when we went to the museum there that it had been a German POW camp. Fascinating stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What I'm wondering is why some of us here are trashing one another's home states. It seems...unseemly.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The only place that can compete with Detroit for a post-apocalypse/Walking Dead vibe is West Virginia. I've ben all over the world, including a good part of CONUS and I've never seen a more soul sucking place than WV.
    You obviously have not been to Miami Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    You obviously have not been to Miami Oklahoma.
    I try my best to avoid Oklahoma entirely.

Over the last few months, I've taken my mother in law to OKC on several occasions for dental work. I try to get in and out as quickly as possible, lest any of those cooties infect me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List