Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rural Americans Are Bad People

I'd rather die than go back to city, suburb life. If I can't go outside and take a piss, then it's not for me.

As far as taxes go, they can't get any worse. Now I even have to pay a 10% tax even if I sell something used that I already paid taxes on. I was hoping people would wake up one day, but they have all turned into PC cucks.

I get a kick out of people bickering about who to vote for. To me it's like voting on how you wish to be enslaved. Want to know the meaning of life? It is very simple, you are a tax I.D. number and nothing else. You are a walking talking piece of skin that sole purpose is to eat, shit, procreate new life so the taxation can continue after you are gone to feed the evil system. The more evil you are in life the more successful you will become. The system rewards evil behavior, so if you are good like me you are screwed. If that makes me a loser to not want to be part of an evil system, than I am a proud "loser".

You are taxed for being born, taxed your whole life and then taxed for dying and failing the system. That's why you don't see anyone being inherited anything anymore, because the government just takes back what you earned after you die.

If you would like to remain happy and blissfully ignorant to what is going on then just go back to sleep like everyone else on this planet.

Oh and I love the new term "globalism" doesn't that sound groovy? Sounds way more pleasant than a New World Order.

Site Supporter
    LOL to a couple of posts prior, I have an Ag Business degree, Ag Econ actually. IMO it's a very outdated idea for anyone to think that today's farmers are a bunch of high-school dropouts. Have you set foot inside of a modern tractor? I was born into farming and spent my teens in the last decade of the purely mechanical age. My family was always technologically advanced; farming definitely has a *cutting edge*. The days of a few chickens and goats and cows and 40 acres supporting anyone are long gone, except in EXTREMELY unusual circumstances.

The average farmer is competing with the entire global farm economy, and trying to get that additional bushel off the land, or that additional tenth of a pound average daily gain is a total technology race. Nowadays the same land that was getting 150 bushels / acre of corn when I was a kid will average well over 200 with no sweat. You can buy an old 4-row mechanical corn planter for $10,000 but if you want to plant corn accurately and consistently, in the same area you'll see 16-row vacuum planters that go for $200,000 running over the land. Agriculture is a very detailed, wide, and deep science.

The small producers that are making it are mostly getting it done with out-of-the-box thinking. You can't wake up early enough and work late enough to make a profit anymore; you have to specialize in something that limits your competition. Take yourself out of the global free-for-all and produce a non-homogenous product on your limited acres. That's really the only option that allows survival of strictly farm-only income without supplementation. Examples include farmers' markets, direct-to-consumer approaches, specialty crops, etc.

My family is still farming successfully, but they're not going head-to-head with anyone outside of a 100-mile radius. As for myself, I realized I didn't want to work 16-hour days 7 days a week for my entire life, and I took my farm-learned work ethic and put it to use in a way that I could live with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    LOL to a couple of posts prior, I have an Ag Business degree, Ag Econ actually. IMO it's a very outdated idea for anyone to think that today's farmers are a bunch of high-school dropouts. Have you set foot inside of a modern tractor? I was born into farming and spent my teens in the last decade of the purely mechanical age. My family was always technologically advanced; farming definitely has a *cutting edge*. The days of a few chickens and goats and cows and 40 acres supporting anyone are long gone, except in EXTREMELY unusual circumstances.

The average farmer is competing with the entire global farm economy, and trying to get that additional bushel off the land, or that additional tenth of a pound average daily gain is a total technology race. Nowadays the same land that was getting 150 bushels / acre of corn when I was a kid will average well over 200 with no sweat. You can buy an old 4-row mechanical corn planter for $10,000 but if you want to plant corn accurately and consistently, in the same area you'll see 16-row vacuum planters that go for $200,000 running over the land. Agriculture is a very detailed, wide, and deep science.

The small producers that are making it are mostly getting it done with out-of-the-box thinking. You can't wake up early enough and work late enough to make a profit anymore; you have to specialize in something that limits your competition. Take yourself out of the global free-for-all and produce a non-homogenous product on your limited acres. That's really the only option that allows survival of strictly farm-only income without supplementation. Examples include farmers' markets, direct-to-consumer approaches, specialty crops, etc.

My family is still farming successfully, but they're not going head-to-head with anyone outside of a 100-mile radius. As for myself, I realized I didn't want to work 16-hour days 7 days a week for my entire life, and I took my farm-learned work ethic and put it to use in a way that I could live with.
    You mean there isn’t an international conspiracy (except probably Monsanto) to deprive rural folks of a way of life, rather, the technology has simply advanced to the point that smaller farms growing feed corn or soy beans are simply obsolescent.

Kinda like cobblers. Nobody is going to make a living making basic sneakers or dress shoes in their basements a couple of pairs a day because there are factories that do that now. But a few artisans can probably make a living doing specialized high end work.

And they are out there; this is a pretty cool series on PBS about Veteran-Farmers who are finding new ways to make money farming smaller farms. (Unfortunately I cant find any episodes online, but I’ve seen it on PBS create if you have that channel)

https://www.pbs.org/food/features/homegrown-heroes/

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    You mean there isn’t an international conspiracy (except probably Monsanto) to deprive rural folks of a way of life, rather, the technology has simply advanced to the point that smaller farms growing feed corn or soy beans are simply obsolescent.

Kinda like cobblers. Nobody is going to make a living making basic sneakers or dress shoes in their basements a couple of pairs a day because there are factories that do that now. But a few artisans can probably make a living doing specialized high end work.

And they are out there; this is a pretty cool series on PBS about Veteran-Farmers who are finding new ways to make money farming smaller farms. (Unfortunately I cant find any episodes online, but I’ve seen it on PBS create if you have that channel)

https://www.pbs.org/food/features/homegrown-heroes/
    We have a few of those around here. They sell local to small markets and have their own produce stands. Nobodies getting rich, just making a living doing what they like to do. Pretty cool. Some fishermen doing the same thing. One guy has a thriving business raising mussels.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Rural Americans Are Bad People

Yes.

Very bad. Horrible people. You will hate it here. We don't have that there Starkbuks or that darn Enternets or hot Yogurt studios or nothin like that. Just corn whiskey and cousins for entertainment.

Stay in the city. It's terrible out here.

We don't even have shoes or jobs and we don't eat anything but cornbread and greens except on New Year's when we have some hawg jaw. We just lay around every day being racist/homophobic/anti-immigrant/climate change denying/deplorable/Bible thumping luddites who only watch Hee Haw/Dukes of Hazard re-runs and spit tobacco and play banjos and shoot guns.

Seriously.

Stay in the city.

Yee-Yee.

Site Supporter
    Being from Mississippi, I can talk shit about Arkansas but no other place. The reverse is true for those living in Arkansas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Being from Mississippi, I can talk shit about Arkansas but no other place. The reverse is true for those living in Arkansas.
    "Thank God for Arkansas!" as the saying goes.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Economies of scale and massive increases of yield per acre killed the family farm locally. None of the family farms around where I was as a youth were near big enough to reach the levels required to trip the estate or inheritance taxes. The price per unit, regardless of if that unit was animals or bushels, got lower and lower to the point small players couldn't make any money. The hogs, sheep, corn, soybean, and chicken farms are all gone and none of them because the old man died. Just wan't any money in it. There's still some corn and soybeans, but most of it is for guys raising small herds of beef cattle, and a few folks are raising llamas or emus, but that's the extent of it.
    For decades we’ve been making policy and economic decisions driven by the belief that low prices for commodity crops were an absolute good. The result is that in the US we pay less for food per capita than almost anywhere else in the world. But there are a lot of social costs that come from those choices. Pure economic efficiency is probably not the best path to human happiness.

I’ve lived in cities and rural areas and enjoyed both for what they had to offer.

Urban poverty gets all the attention, but rural poverty is just as grim.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    No, you can both bag on West Virginia.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    No, you can both bag on West Virginia.
    I'd rather criticize Arkansas. A couple years ago my wife and I traveled in Arkansas for the first time. I fell in love with northern Arkansas. We passed a high school whose mascot was a sand lizard. I howled with laughter. Stopping at a Walmart, I teased my wife by saying that I would start making fun of the lizard. She begged me not to. Inside Walmart, I observed that everybody looked retarded. Then two kids with cone heads walked by. My anxiety level shot up.

Here's the deal. A local center serving developmentally challenged persons had taken two bus loads of clients there on a field trip. The cone heads were unrelated to the other group--merely two local kids goofing off. Northern Arkansas was a neat place. I wish that I lived there. W Virginia is not my choice. I heard that everybody shits in the woods, even those who have an indoor toilet. Just kiddng.

User Tag List