Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Rural Americans Are Bad People

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I try my best to avoid Oklahoma entirely.

Over the last few months, I've taken my mother in law to OKC on several occasions for dental work. I try to get in and out as quickly as possible, lest any of those cooties infect me.

You are very wise

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I try my best to avoid Oklahoma entirely.

Over the last few months, I've taken my mother in law to OKC on several occasions for dental work. I try to get in and out as quickly as possible, lest any of those cooties infect me.
    The thing about Okies is they have money. This state is freaking broke. If I was entirely dependent on it for my living, I might go bankrupt. Or have to get a "real" job, for those that have disparaging things to say about my career choices. It's a very definitive geographic line, where there's some money vs a bunch of cheapskates.

Plus I always felt like those in OKC had a semblance of ability to drive. Wichita always feels like a rat race.

Maybe I'm a closet Okie. Who knows.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe because it has worked for someone else, (however shameful),...and they're desperate.

What I'm wondering is why some of us here are trashing one another's home states. It seems...unseemly.
    Thank you for pointing out that we should not trash others' states. When we do, we are generalizing from negative perceptions or experiences that are not representative of the whole.

Site Supporter
    All I know is that any place is awful if you keep awful company. Seems to me that most folks who complain about anywhere in the South, the Midwest, Appalachia, etc. all hate those places because of people they hate. Exes, family, etc.

Personally, I think more of those folks need to spend some time in larger cities outside of the US. Then spend some time in LA, Chicago, or the beltway.
    Then revisit all these 'awful' places in the South and Midwest and Appalachia with a renewed appreciation of just how incredibly not bad those places really are.

A neighbor that's quick to offer pie and quicker with a shotgun sounds like my kind of people, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    All I know is that any place is awful if you keep awful company...
    #truth
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    The thing about Okies is they have money. This state is freaking broke. If I was entirely dependent on it for my living, I might go bankrupt. Or have to get a "real" job, for those that have disparaging things to say about my career choices. It's a very definitive geographic line, where there's some money vs a bunch of cheapskates.

Plus I always felt like those in OKC had a semblance of ability to drive. Wichita always feels like a rat race.

Wichita was a rat race? You realize 'the Road Warrior' is just a documentary about driving on Houston's freeways don't you?

The things I remember most from the last time I traveled across Oklahoma on my motorcycle were the incessant wind, and how many pretty girls were working at various places my wife and I stopped to eat or get a room at. (Maybe this was before meth hit big time virtually everywhere in the USA. It was the late 90's.) I think Erick, OK had more pretty girls than you could shake a stick at back then.

Even my wife, who was, some years earlier, a part time runway model for Macy's agreed when I mentioned it. (She didn't feel insecure about being around other good looking women.)

I dated a gal from Oklahoma many moons ago, and she was a looker too. Must've been something in the water.

Of course the only gals I see from Oklahoma lately are on "Live PD" and are admittedly a pretty scary bunch.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Wichita was a rat race? You realize 'the Road Warrior' is just a documentary about driving on Houston's freeways don't you?

Realizing I don't get out much, thus I have not encountered the "Road Warrior", I was only comparing OKC to Wichita since I've spent more time in the two of them than anywhere else. Albany NY is probably third.

That said, my sister lives in Houston and that place. Yeah, that's a whole other subject. It's actually kind of funny. I went to visit a couple years ago, and it wound up making more sense for her to navigate since she knew where she was going and me drive. I can adapt to city driving fairly quickly, and I think she was suffering from pucker factor at the end of those couple days.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The things I remember most from the last time I traveled across Oklahoma on my motorcycle were the incessant wind, and how many pretty girls were working at various places my wife and I stopped to eat or get a room at. (Maybe this was before meth hit big time virtually everywhere in the USA. It was the late 90's.) I think Erick, OK had more pretty girls than you could shake a stick at back then.

Even my wife, who was, some years earlier, a part time runway model for Macy's agreed when I mentioned it. (She didn't feel insecure about being around other good looking women.)

I dated a gal from Oklahoma many moons ago, and she was a looker too. Must've been something in the water.

Of course the only gals I see from Oklahoma lately are on "Live PD" and are admittedly a pretty scary bunch.
    No sir, that hasn't changed.

The wind or the women. Then again, pretty much anywhere in Kansas or Oklahoma is going to be a wind cesspool. There's also no shortage of nice looking women, even in the backwoods parts of the northern end of the state where I work mostly.

No sir, that hasn't changed.

The wind or the women. Then again, pretty much anywhere in Kansas or Oklahoma is going to be a wind cesspool. There's also no shortage of nice looking women, even in the backwoods parts of the northern end of the state where I work mostly.
    Agree with you on all counts based upon my own experience traveling extensively across the U.S.A. and Canada, including pretty remote areas.

Even dated a gal for a short time from Pittsburg, KS.

Yep, there's beauty everywhere. All you have to do is keep your eyes open.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List