Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rural Americans Are Bad People

Social Media is about as valuable as syphillis or the bubonic plague.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Social Media is about as valuable as syphillis or the bubonic plague.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've lived lots of places. Rural people suck. Suburbanites suck. Urbanites suck. The difference is rural people don't have any strangers so you know who sucks ahead of time. Ed grows a little pot and stays drunk, but stays to himself. Take him a watermelon if you have a spare, he likes them. Josh is hooked on pills and he's a thief and nobody cares if you beat the shit out of him if you find him snooping around your barn. Ron is a pervert. The men have already had a chat with him that he'll disappear if he bothers the women here.

On the same note, I noticed a huge difference in car buying and mechanics in a large city vs a small town. Fuck someone over in a small town, your reputation will quickly tank and you might as well close up shop. In big cities there's plenty of strangers who don't know you're a thief.

So, personally, I lean toward agrarian romanticism a bit. There's still shitheels, but they aren't surprise shitheels.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    When I first moved to rural America, we cleared some land for a house. While the local guy was installing the septic system, I was out there with a friend cutting and splitting firewood. Lots of trees = lots of wood. A week or so later I go into town, to the local hardware/lumber store to get a new chain for my saw. I ask the guy at the counter, and he's looking at me funny (at this point I noticed the swastika tattoo). After a few seconds he says "You're the Yankee with the chain saw!".

Apparently I made an impression on the septic guy. I'm still not sure whether it was a good or bad impression. Word gets around in small towns... I shopped elsewhere after that.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've lived lots of places. Rural people suck. Suburbanites suck. Urbanites suck. The difference is rural people don't have any strangers so you know who sucks ahead of time. Ed grows a little pot and stays drunk, but stays to himself. Take him a watermelon if you have a spare, he likes them. Josh is hooked on pills and he's a thief and nobody cares if you beat the shit out of him if you find him snooping around your barn. Ron is a pervert. The men have already had a chat with him that he'll disappear if he bothers the women here.

On the same note, I noticed a huge difference in car buying and mechanics in a large city vs a small town. Fuck someone over in a small town, your reputation will quickly tank and you might as well close up shop. In big cities there's plenty of strangers who don't know you're a thief.

So, personally, I lean toward agrarian romanticism a bit. There's still shitheels, but they aren't surprise shitheels.
    We use this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextdoor

Seems to work if you want some advice about hiring contractors and services. Like you say, you don't want to shit your nest in a small community.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Here in Nebraska, farms continually grow larger and small towns grow smaller and smaller and eventually disappear. I suspect it is the same story across most all of rural America. It makes me sad to see the little towns drying up and a way of life disappearing. I still love to drive highway 26 through the Nebraska Panhandle and see the sights, even if the once vibrant little towns are rapidly declining. Kids by necessity have to move to the "big city" to earn a living.

Farms have to be huge to have any hope of providing a living for a family. And most of the time, the spouse is working in town somewhere to get insurance benefits.

Living in rural America is still a great way of life though if you can find a way to make a living.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Here in Nebraska, farms continually grow larger and small towns grow smaller and smaller and eventually disappear. I suspect it is the same story across most all of rural America. It makes me sad to see the little towns drying up and a way of life disappearing. I still love to drive highway 26 through the Nebraska Panhandle and see the sights, even if the once vibrant little towns are rapidly declining. Kids by necessity have to move to the "big city" to earn a living.

Farms have to be huge to have any hope of providing a living for a family. And most of the time, the spouse is working in town somewhere to get insurance benefits.

Living in rural America is still a great way of life though if you can find a way to make a living.
    Very true, not allot of opportunity here where I live. I have a town job and its probably the best I'll get without traveling an hour just to get to work. They treat me well with good benefits and half ass decent pay. I'm lucky enough to have zero debt and nowhere near a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle but allot of people here are not so fortunate. The knife cuts both ways as it were.

Site Supporter
    Inheritance taxes killed the family farm.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Inheritance taxes killed the family farm.
    Economies of scale and massive increases of yield per acre killed the family farm locally. None of the family farms around where I was as a youth were near big enough to reach the levels required to trip the estate or inheritance taxes. The price per unit, regardless of if that unit was animals or bushels, got lower and lower to the point small players couldn't make any money. The hogs, sheep, corn, soybean, and chicken farms are all gone and none of them because the old man died. Just wan't any money in it. There's still some corn and soybeans, but most of it is for guys raising small herds of beef cattle, and a few folks are raising llamas or emus, but that's the extent of it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I used to hunt in eastern WA a lot. Back in the 30's when wheat farming became mechanized there were many small towns in the Palouse. The names are still on the maps but there isn't anything there. Even the small towns that are left are dying. Wheat farms now are hundreds of thousands of acres and owned by corporations. It's very hard to find out who actually owns those farms because there are so few people living on the land and farming it. A good friend owned a rather large family farm in Ohio along with her brother and sister. They recently sold it as nobody in the family had farmed it in 30 years, mostly just leased the land. Times are pretty tough for family farms and I don't doubt they will get tougher. I was told by someone who should know that the family farmers that he knows in E WA. all have AG business degrees.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List