Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy adjustable sights?

I've tried every grip possible. When I dry fire with a laser light my sights do not move.

Randy

P.S. I just dry fired. Everything was fine. Then, on purpose, I jerked the trigger, and my laser light dipped. I'm wondering if, when I live fire, I have sort of a flinch that is causing me to jerk the trigger without my realizing it.

I do remember awhile ago when I was practicing, my initial shots were on the money, but then every went low.

Perhaps a lighter trigger would help.

Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 01-28-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    When I dry fire with a laser light my sights do not move.
    That's not necessarily what will happen with a live round in the chamber. I'm speaking from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I've tried every grip possible. When I dry fire with a laser light my sights do not move.

Randy

P.S. I just dry fired. Everything was fine. Then, on purpose, I jerked the trigger, and my laser light dipped. I'm wondering if, when I live fire, I have sort of a flinch that is causing me to jerk the trigger without my realizing it.

I do remember awhile ago when I was practicing, my initial shots were on the money, but then every went low.

Perhaps a lighter trigger would help.

Randy
    I would have a second shooter who is solid try the pistol before I spend money on sights and triggers. If you don't have anyone like that in your mix of buddies, I'd get a couple of dummy rounds and have someone else load up a mag and see what happens when you get a click instead of a boom.

Regards.

@randyflycaster, this is a great opportunity to make a big leap in skill. Truly seeing your sights during the entire firing process will transform your shooting ability.

When you graduate from "I'm not sure if my sights moved before the gun fired" to "My sights did/didn't move before the gun fired", you will be able to make much faster progress in so many other areas, including faster followup shots, better draw, and practically everything else.

The mystery of misses will disappear, and be replaced by cause-and-effect. That's not to say you won't miss--but you'll have a real clue about why.

It takes serious work to learn how to do this, and the first step is making sure you aren't blinking. Double plugs, and consciously keeping your eyes wide open can help. Watch the corners of the notch and the blade, and try to construct a movie in your mind, from the moment you align them, and ending well after the gun fires.

After you work on this for months, you will easily be able to see if the sight dips before you fire.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

@Clusterfrack for truth.

Reading through the thread again, I see that the OP uses sight picture 3. Nothing wrong with using that option at all, however, what made you choose that method? I ask because depending upon where the dots are located (related to the top edge) can affect point of impact. Have you experimented with options 1 and 2?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @Clusterfrack for truth.

Reading through the thread again, I see that the OP uses sight picture 3. Nothing wrong with using that option at all, however, what made you choose that method? I ask because depending upon where the dots are located (related to the top edge) can affect point of impact. Have you experimented with options 1 and 2?
    I missed that he was using a “drive the dot” sight picture. I find it hard to shoot precisely with a gun set up that way. I use sight picture (2), top of blade for all of my guns.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

My target guns (S&W 19, Ruger MKII and Colt GC) have adj. sights. Why not? A few revolvers and a bunch of my pistols don't have adj. sights. No need for them. Combat sights have their place in this world. Depends on how you plan to use the firearm.

I don't shoot in pistol competition so personally I wouldn't know what's being used there. I suppose it depends on what type of competition we're talking about. According to some articles I read Glock 34 is a favorite with IDPA shooters and can be purchased with adj sights. You could probably do just as well without adj. sights. Service pistol IDK.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-28-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My target guns (S&W 19, Ruger MKII and Colt GC) have adj. sights. Why not? A few revolvers and a bunch of my pistols don't have adj. sights. No need for them. Combat sights have their place in this world. Depends on how you plan to use the firearm.

I don't shoot in pistol competition so personally I wouldn't know what's being used there. I suppose it depends on what type of competition we're talking about. According to some articles I read Glock 34 is a favorite with IDPA shooters and can be purchased with adj sights. You could probably do just as well without adj. sights. Service pistol IDK.
    Probably 85 - 90% or better of metallic sight semi auto pistols used in practical pistol competition (USPSA and IDPA) have fixed rear sights and fiber optic front sights.

I use sight picture #2 as well. Strongly concur in having another experienced shooter try you pistol. Then I'd mechanically bench zero-i.e., from a stable seated position, with the gun in a rest or sandbag, carefully and deliberately zero.

Once you've done that, then try zeroing offhand.

I'd also suggest using a quality factory 124 gr load-my personal go-to's are either Sellier & Bellot or American Eagle. European 9mm's seem to be oriented around 124 gr more so than 115 gr.

If you still have issues, then re-sighting might be called for. And, FWIW, there are some good durable adjustable sight options available, but I'd hold off until you've tested things as they are to your satisfaction to effectively assess what, if truly any issues exist with the OEM sights.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Randy - Do any of these sight pictures look like what you use?

If so, which one?

Slightly OT but is there an issue related to this? When I bought my new pistol with a FO sight I went with 3 as I wanted the "dot" right on top of what I was aiming at.

User Tag List