Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy adjustable sights?

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low.
    That's a LOT

Have you ruled out any marksmanship fundamental issues? Have you given your pistol to someone else who you know is better than you to see what he or she gets?

I shoot USPSA competitively and don't have adjustable sight on any of my semi auto pistols.

I was using inexpensive Federal 115 grain. I always shoot 115 grain. At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low. I guess I could just use my fixed sights but change my sight picture so that the front sight is higher than the rear sight.

Randy
    I could not find the sight radius of a CZ 85/75 online quickly, so I used a Glock 17 (6.5") to do the calculation. At 14 yards (42 feet, 504 inches), 4" of vertical distance corresponds to a shortening of the front sight of 0.0516", if I did the math right. That is a fair amount.

My Glock sights are typically 0.180" high, a shorter version is 0.165", for a comparison.

Site Supporter
    I was using inexpensive Federal 115 grain. I always shoot 115 grain. At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low. I guess I could just use my fixed sights but change my sight picture so that the front sight is higher than the rear sight.

Randy
    That's pretty low. Assuming you're using a good sight picture, you'll need a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight. Also, going to a heavier bullet will raise the POI, but probably not as much as you need.

Randy - Do any of these sight pictures look like what you use?

If so, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I could not find the sight radius of a CZ 85/75 online quickly, so I used a Glock 17 (6.5") to do the calculation. At 14 yards (42 feet, 504 inches), 4" of vertical distance corresponds to a shortening of the front sight of 0.0516", if I did the math right. That is a fair amount.

My Glock sights are typically 0.180" high, a shorter version is 0.165", for a comparison.
    Your formula is good but the sight radius is a half inch shorter than your Glock. Actual height reduction would be .0475" or 3/64" would be very close. For the OP, I'd probably order a front sight in lieu of filing if you care about the luminous dot.

Now I'm now using sight picture one (posted above.) I'm covering the small target bullseye with the dot on the front sight.

I am certainly not ruling out marksmanship issues, but I just do not know what to do anymore, as I've tried every possible correction, and the results are the same.

I don't remember if the instructor fired my CZ, but I remember him saying that each shooter has a different facial structure, and that a handgun that fits him might not fit me. (Almost like a shotgun.)

At the time I didn't buy the instructor's suggestion of getting adjustable sights, so I never took another lesson from him.

Randy

Deleted
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-28-2020 at 10:36 AM.

I'm sorry. I mean sight picture 3.

Randy

I'm sorry. I mean sight picture 3.

Randy
    Can you post a profile picture of your hands holding this pistol, from both sides? I suspect a grip issue.

A change of .0475" is a good deal of movement.
    An adjustable sight might or might not have enough range of movement to correct. Of course it might be taller to start with, but it might be too tall.

Dawson has a wide range of front sight heights.
    If you buy a front and rear set, they guarantee "Perfect Impact." If the sights do not zero, they will send you a replacement of the correct height.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/cz-sights/
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List