Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I buy adjustable sights?

Should I buy adjustable sights?

I've been pistol shooting for almost 3 years now. My target gun is a CZ 85 9mm. I've tried every technique possible, yet I'm still shooting low. My last instructor told me to get adjustable sights. (He has them on his gun.) I am wondering if competition shooters have adjustable sights. Also, if I do make the jump, do I need both rear and back sights or just a rear sight?

How many of you folks have adjustable sights on your target guns?

Thanks,

Randy

Wait there are people with competition guns without adjustable sights?

I do not.

I shoot the ammo I plan to use in my competition gun (AE115, Glock 19.5), then select a front sight height to achieve PoI = POA using my preferred hold (Drive the Dot) (0.180” for me).

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I've been pistol shooting for almost 3 years now. My target gun is a CZ 85 9mm. I've tried every technique possible, yet I'm still shooting low. My last instructor told me to get adjustable sights. (He has them on his gun.) I am wondering if competition shooters have adjustable sights. Also, if I do make the jump, do I need both rear and back sights or just a rear sight?

Thanks,

Randy
    Sounds like you need a shorter front sight.

Thanks,

Randy
    I like quality adjustable rear sights a lot. I'm thinking of my S&W revolvers and Wilson CQB Elite. Has your instructor or other skilled shooters shot your pistol to confirm it's POI?

Does it manifest hitting low at 25 yards or at 7 yards? How much?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Adjustable sights are great, for example, if you go from 115 grain to 147 grain bullets regularly because the point of impact is going to be different.

But if you are always shooting low, you probably just need the correct height sights. This calculator will help you out.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/
    A71593

Today I was shooting at 15 yards. Often, I shoot at 10 yards. I'm low at both distances.

Randy

Today I was shooting at 15 yards. Often, I shoot at 10 yards. I'm low at both distances.

Randy
    How low, say, in inches?

What ammo are you using?

When I shot Glocks I had Dawson adjustable rears. On my Sig320s, I didn't have adjustable sights, but it was easy to buy a Dawson fiber optic sight to match POI for whatever match loads I was using. Those guns are gone, and I'm back to adjustable sights on my Shadow2s. It's hard to imagine going back to fixed. I have tuned my POI several times over the last few years, and it's nice to be able to make those fine adjustments without buying new blades.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I was using inexpensive Federal 115 grain. I always shoot 115 grain. At 14 yards most of my groupings were about 4 inches low. I guess I could just use my fixed sights but change my sight picture so that the front sight is higher than the rear sight.

Randy

User Tag List