Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Beretta 92 Tenn factory build quality good?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post

Different guns

Severe off center barrel and frame fit.

MANY threads over there on it.

I was THIS close to buying a new 92X Centurion but this has scared me as they have a thread abotu those two and several people have tried two/three times and even the replacements werent right
    That looks awful HOWEVER the way 92s lock up off center barrels are a purely cosmetic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    Most seem to be USA made QC problems.

If you do run into issues I would decline to accept the pistol at the FFL and ask for a replacement
    Thanks. Enabler.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That looks awful HOWEVER the way 92s lock up off center barrels are a purely cosmetic issue.
    That's Beretta's argument to not do anything about it generally. I would agree except that sometimes it's so off center the rear sight needs windage until the dovetail is exposed. Then you see that part of the dovetail isn't even finished with that wonderful Bruniton paint. On the basic models, you can only adjust the rear sight so there is no other way to get it to aim where the barrel points. Oddly, sometimes it just looks crooked but shoots straight and doesn't require adjustment.

Can anyone explain HOW a pistol can shoot where sights are pointed IF the barrel is not centered in hood? Unless the barrel centers up before bullet leaves the barrel, I can’t see any outcome other than the bullet leaving at some lateral angle of departure from the line of sight. If the sights have enough adjustment, you can make line of sight co-linear with bullet flight path. I saw a guys 92 with barrel offset touching the hood. But as soon as you start racking the slide, when locking block lugs disengage, the barrel centers up. I have not looked at slow motion but I’m guessing the bullet has left the barrel when lugs disengage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Can anyone explain HOW a pistol can shoot where sights are pointed IF the barrel is not centered in hood? Unless the barrel centers up before bullet leaves the barrel, I can’t see any outcome other than the bullet leaving at some lateral angle of departure from the line of sight. If the sights have enough adjustment, you can make line of sight co-linear with bullet flight path. I saw a guys 92 with barrel offset touching the hood. But as soon as you start racking the slide, when locking block lugs disengage, the barrel centers up. I have not looked at slow motion but I’m guessing the bullet has left the barrel when lugs disengage?
    Because the barrel and slide are parallel, not misaligned at an angle. But due to the stackup of some frame rails, the barrel rails, and a bunch of other stuff, sometimes the barrel and that hole are not perfectly concentric (which REALLY stands out to the human eye). At the end of the day though, that misalignment is usually less than a millimeter (again, that sort of thing still tends to stand out to the human eye), but since the slide and barrel are still parallel to each other, the deflection of the POI/POA because of this still falls well within the size of the bullet itself. Unless you are truly the greatest shooter on earth using flawless ammo for bulls-eye shooting, that sub 1mm lateral shift (again, because everything is still parallel) will probably be unnoticeable.

(source: have talked to Beretta CS and platform folks about this before).

While I have generally been happy with my Tennessee Berettas I just finished a terrible oddessey with the finish on my Beretta 92 Compact. It took many phone calls, emails and barely veiled threats to get Beretta to make good on their warranty. To be fair, they did do it. But several times during the process I had to remind them that I am an attorney and that I could actually read their warranty. Fortunately, the finish is now excellent. Here is a little video I did doucmenting all the hassle.

The pictures start at 1.43 if you want to skip past my babble

Let me be clear. The folks at Langdon tactical had my back through the entire process. They basically just put the trigger and sights on the gun. It was Beretta that screwed up and I am not sure I could have gotten this fixed without them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I posted a thread on this subject, a few years back:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tta-92-barrels

No real consensus came out of that.

But, I feel like ManBearSpider's explanation makes the most sense of anything I've heard. The barrel is straight/parallel with the slide (i.e., not angled) so it's not actually shooting at an angle. And any misalignment of the bore with the front sight only produces a few millimeters of variance.

Still...

If I were to drift another pistol's front sight a few mms to one side or another (in essence, replicating the bore/sight variances I've seen on 92s)... maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like it would create POI issues.

I still wonder if there's some element of centering that occurs when the locking block engages under recoil.

Site Supporter
    20 years ago Beretta had a not so great customer service reputation. A friend sent a 92 back to them and received a $200 bill for work done which they deemed not warranty. He told them to keep the pistol. Not long afterwards it showed up on his door step.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    Love Beretta pistols, but I definitely would inspect in person before buying any 92 pistol now.
    Yes, I have owned 28 Beretta 92 variants over 28+ years.

I learned - NEVER buy one sight unseen.

Years ago - I'd go to a large Houston gun show, and I'd have to go thru several vendor's backstock to find one without an issue sometimes. And, when out of the box - they are covered with packing oil. So, it is very easy to miss a mistake until you wipe all the oil off.

I've seen so many scratched up ones. Sometimes, I wonder if they slide them across the floor before they box em up.

User Tag List