Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Tenn factory build quality good?

Good question. I was just on the phone with Aimee discussing that at LTT. At this point I think I may want the D spring since this pistol will be for personal defense. The LTT website currently doesn’t allow for purchase w/o a trigger job and the trigger job will have a 13# spring. So in a nutshell, I don’t want a 13# spring in a personal defense pistol. Based on the education I am getting (and appreciate) with better trigger bar I probably don’t need a 16# spring. I feel good with 14# based on my own experience as long as I avoid hard primer ammo.

My other concern is build quality. I feel like I need to see the gun. I looked at 2 different 92s today at LGS. A 92X (not performance model) and the barrel was touching the barrel hood on one side. I don’t want that. Beretta considers that cosmetic but it requires sights to be adjusted if possible to correct. The LTT Elite I looked at did not have that issue. But the front sight was located such that the edge of dovetail on sight was flush with left edge of milled cut in slide; as out of center as possible staying within slide milled area. The rear sight was drifted so far left (to accommodate front sight off-center) the sight was out of slide milled area with overhang you could put your fingernail under. Now admittedly the 2 sights appeared to be in line and parallel to barrel, just off-center. This LTT Elite was direct from Beretta, did not go thru LTT and get any inspection and rejection that might occur with LTT.

My 92A1 is perfect with respect to these 2 issues. Am I being too picky. I love Beretta 92s. Accurate, reliable, great design, looks cool too. What’s not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    My other concern is build quality. I feel like I need to see the gun. I looked at 2 different 92s today at LGS. A 92X (not performance model) and the barrel was touching the barrel hood on one side. I don’t want that. Beretta considers that cosmetic but it requires sights to be adjusted if possible to correct. The LTT Elite I looked at did not have that issue. But the front sight was located such that the edge of dovetail on sight was flush with left edge of milled cut in slide; as out of center as possible staying within slide milled area. The rear sight was drifted so far left (to accommodate front sight off-center) the sight was out of slide milled area with overhang you could put your fingernail under. Now admittedly the 2 sights appeared to be in line and parallel to barrel, just off-center.
    Unfortunate to hear that my LTT Elite was not the only one with this type of sight problem. I drifted mine back to normal before even taking it to the range because the front sight was so far off that I didn't expect it to hit anywhere near point of aim and a laser boresight seemed to indicate it was off as well. Still, I've seen some visibly crooked Berettas shoot straight and seen some straight looking Berettas require windage.

If the person installing the sights (at factory) installed the front sight first and in center, then the rear centered, seems they would always be centered. Maybe to tolerances in milling the dovetail in the slide on front and rear, combined with the sight milling process itself, is such that they are not snug (tight) when they are tapped in? I believe they go in “left to right” (from rear?). If true, this front sight was not even tapped to center since offset way left. If slide dovetails are tapered, seems like you would make sights slightly larger, then file to fit snug. A couple thousandths oversize would work. Takes time though

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    LockedBreech: Would buying direct from LTT help? They all come from Tenn first, correct? Or are you implying LTT would inspect and reject guns with defects?
    Pretty much what JSGlock34 said, personal handling by Ernest and/or his crew would give me great faith in the quality and function of the gun. The man knows Berettas. Even if there was an issue, I'm 100% sure LTT would fix it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I’ve purchased close to a dozen 92 series pistols over the last 12 years with half coming from each continent. Three that have been from TN. To be honest pretty much all Beretta 92’s come from the factory with some sloppy cosmetic flaws or rough machining. But the good news is that they all have worked fine. Beretta 92’s reminds me of Colt 1911’s. Can be rough guns in some respects but they tend to get things right where it matters.

I’ve personally not had any issues with a Gallatin made M9A3, two Elite LTTs, and a 92X-FS full-size. That said, I know others have had some issues. I expect Gallatin to continue to improve. All of mine were acquired from the same shop and I was able to inspect before I bought. Function has been excellent on all 4, as I’ve gotten used to from the 92 family in general.

All that said..... if a person just wants to buy an Italian Beretta to hopefully “make sure” there’s less chance of an issue, the M9A3 now seems to be made mostly in Italy and the 92A1 is still Italian made. My experience with both models has also been excellent. Further, every gun maker turns out a turd now and then. Beretta has never been an exception, even when they were in MD. I do fully trust them to take care of any functional issues. I also would be more likely to trust a Gallatin made 92 straight out of the box than I would a Cohen era SIG.

Name:  20190625_154344.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  14.9 KBName:  20190625_161414.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  19.8 KB

Despite the cosmetic issue and having to drift the front sight, the gun functions 100%. I would agree with the previous posters that Beretta still builds the pistols right where it matters and that they will stand behind any functional issue. However, it is off putting to pay around $1000 or more for a limited run Beretta and then find that it has errors that even a child laborer in a Pakistani counterfeit gun factory wouldn't have made.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    Name:  20190625_154344.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  14.9 KBName:  20190625_161414.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  19.8 KB

Despite the cosmetic issue and having to drift the front sight, the gun functions 100%. I would agree with the previous posters that Beretta still builds the pistols right where it matters and that they will stand behind any functional issue. However, it is off putting to pay around $1000 or more for a limited run Beretta and then find that it has errors that even a child laborer in a Pakistani counterfeit gun factory wouldn't have made.
    Had exactly the same issue.

The front sight picture is exactly what I saw today! And the rear was moved so far left it was outside the slide dovetail cut a noticeable amount. Just seems unnecessary when paying $1000. I love Beretta 92s. I don’t want to look at that every time I shoot if not required. The rear sight install just screams “I don’t care about attention to detail.” I would rather buy one with no sights and install myself.

In my experience you also don’t get any extra QC when you go up on the price of the 92. Some of the nicest ones I’ve had in terms of machining and finish were $450 plain Jain FS models.

User Tag List