Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you Been in a situation to need your weapon? Conceal & Carry,or Home, Story pls

Have you Been in a situation to need your weapon? Conceal & Carry,or Home, Story pls

Hello,
    I am considering getting a CCW. (Conceal and Carry) My wife is not very keen on the idea of guns around the house or in a vehicle. I try to let her know that it is a shield for us, and you don't need it until you need it, so preparation is the key.
    For those who do Conceal and Carry or even those who keep it for home defense, can you share any story when having your weapon was needed and affected the outcome.
    Thanks
    Rhino

I'm pretty sure there are abundant examples on-line. The NRA once published a monthly column on these incidents in the American Rifleman, and perhaps still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are abundant examples on-line. The NRA once published a monthly column on these incidents in the American Rifleman, and perhaps still does.
    Didn't they

Perhaps you may want to look at the work of John Lott or Gary Kleck.

Tom Givens (Rangemaster) who is a member here has a well documented tally of his students defensive use of firearms.

Dont know if most of the members here are willing to put thier stories on the internet. The only time I've ever drawn my pistol with the idea I might actually need it is when I came home from work to find the door to my apartment wide open. Knowing my wife was at work this was obviously not a normal thing. I drew my pistol and entered my apartment in a low ready position. Ended up being nothing, no missing items or anything out of place. I dont think my wife shut the door all the way before she left for work. But seeing that door open and knowing I have allot more guns and ammo in the house, I was happy to at least have my pistol when I went in.

A quick Google search will yield an abundance of results which I imagine would satisfy your query.

If the goal is to convince your wife that having a firearm around is a good idea, perhaps look at the local crime stats in your area and share them with her. It would also be a great idea to understand her reluctance and make efforts, through training and research, to help get both of you comfortable with firearms.

Here in this site we do have the good fortune of a higher signal-to-noise ratio than other firearm centric forums, primarily due to a healthy number of recognized Subject Matter Experts and current or former armed professionals who have been there, done that (dealt with criminals for a living and had good cause to utilize violence in defense of self or society).

So if you’d care to outline specific curiosities or what specific information you’re after, I believe the community here will be glad to help.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Shooting incidents in the news.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just stories of random people needing a gun might not be enough to sway someone away from thinking it's a bad idea to own one or have a concealed carry permit...but I agree with @HCountyGuy that local crime data is a good place to start.

It took my friend's wife watching someone get stabbed in their apartment complex parking lot to change her mind.

Could have been forced to use deadly force twice in my life, both times I got really lucky and saw the groups before they could rob me. Of course when I talk about this there are those who reply "you should just give them the money" as if thugs aren't into violence for the fun of it.

You show her this video and tell her "if I don't get a ccw, this could happen you" and let her wonder what you mean, exactly.

It's hard to convince someone who doesn't have self-defense as a core value that carrying a gun, or having one in the house will make them safer. I've seen multiple examples of guys whose wives are convinced that having a gun will somehow magically attract danger--including my wife. It's like she thinks a gun has some sort of danger gravity, and bad people are pulled toward it.

I've needed a gun for self-defense in multiple encounters with humans and large animals. Fortunately I have never had to fire. But my wife still doesn't like me carrying one all the time. She's ok with it under some circumstances, but it still makes her feel uneasy when we are in places that are familiar and "safe".

Good luck. It takes time and patience, and I am still working on her.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    Could have been forced to use deadly force twice in my life, both times I got really lucky and saw the groups before they could rob me. Of course when I talk about this there are those who reply "you should just give them the money" as if thugs aren't into violence for the fun of it.

You show her this video and tell her "if I don't get a ccw, this could happen you" and let her wonder what you mean, exactly.
    Holy crap.

I initially thought the whole thing was too casual to be a stranger-on-stranger attack, especially with the kid apparently not responding at all, but I found an article where the guy was captured, tried, and sentenced. He apparently has a history of this sort of thing. They are truly not like us.

Chris

User Tag List