Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criminal Gun Possession in Philadelphia

Criminal Gun Possession in Philadelphia

Is apparently not such a crime anymore.

Philadelphia’s DA and his Approach to Criminals with Guns

Yup, the DA is purposefully not charging criminals with possession or carrying of guns. The criminals feel a need to defend themselves, you see.

I didn’t know that I could read something so appalling. UBCs, UBCs everywhere, as far as they eye can see, but a prohibited person, committing multiple felonies- that is a-ok with the DA! Criminals must be allowed to go about their lives as well-armed as they would like, and the DA says that it’s important to let the criminals live that way so that these same criminals might gain respect and trust for the justice system!

I’ve had guns stolen. I know that criminals arm themselves most frequently with stolen guns. All this time and effort expended on communicating the need for gun laws to target criminals while respecting the law abiding, and this idiot coward is doing everything in his considerable legal power to maximize the safety of criminals. Earlier this week my work sent out emails about multiple gunpoint robberies in a nearby parking structure. We good and law-abiding employees are not permitted the liberty the Philadelphia DA permits to violent felons.

C’est la vie. At least the Philly Fraternal Order of Police are apoplectic at the DA’s new policy, and Philadelphia has the highest homicide rate of any of the nation’s 10 largest cities.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Question- is this for criminals possessing guns, or possession of a gun in general?

Would a normal, law abiding citizen with no record be so exempted?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

So let me see if I can find the bright side...

We go out to a 7-11 and steal a Slim Jim or can of beer while in possession of a firearm. We won't be charged with the gun matter and can get in a diversion program for the minor theft. Expunged within months.

Then we can get on with our lives as happy gun owners.

Simple.

There's nothing civil about this war.

For as much of a rolling disaster that the NRA has been lately, I have always admired their efforts to actually spend time, money, and energy having federal laws against prohibited possession enforced.

I can’t count how many times I have given the spiel about who a prohibited person is and what punishments are indicated and available for the armed felon to audiences who started the conversation clamoring for new, fresh gun laws to stop crime.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...

If they're no longer enough of a danger to keep behind bars, they deserve the same rights as everyone else. If anyone's risk profile demands carrying a weapon, it is folks living in these crime ridden areas (regardless of their own background).

PS: How many "criminal" gun possession charges are ignored in Sanctuary counties in Virginia & California?

Site Supporter
    From the article:

Kresner made it policy to divert to ARD gun carriers who had previously clean records and had purchased their guns legally
    While I don’t agree with a lot of his policies and ideas I don’t have a problem with that.

It is something of a silver lining, and I'd love to see Constitutional Carry established nationwide.

However, I would note from the article that
    those convicted of possessing a gun in public in the city without a license to carry - exactly the kinds of defendants Krasner now diverts out of the system
    paints a different picture. When the article mentions "purchased their guns legally", it goes into no further detail, and it makes me suspicious. Are the Philly police checking NCIC or some state database, or looking at a copy of a 4473? Are they conducting a NICS suitability check? Any of those methods of validation would be surprising to me.

As DA, Krasner has declined to prosecute some nonviolent illegal gun posession cases, typically involving people carrying without a state-issued license (outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvanians can openly carry a weapon with a license.
    It may seem cynical on my part, but I doubt that most of these "illegal gun possession cases" are a simple as an otherwise legal and non-prohibited person who would be able to get a CCW license, but who just didn't. Rather, I suspect strongly that these are criminals, who are carrying in guns with the tacit blessing of the DA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...

If they're no longer enough of a danger to keep behind bars, they deserve the same rights as everyone else. If anyone's risk profile demands carrying a weapon, it is folks living in these crime ridden areas (regardless of their own background).

PS: How many "criminal" gun possession charges are ignored in Sanctuary counties in Virginia & California?
    Is trolling the forum a past-time?

Prohibited persons are prohibited. What does this have to do with Sanctuary counties?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Is trolling the forum a past-time?

Prohibited persons are prohibited. What does this have to do with Sanctuary counties?
    You used to be polite and helpful. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Prohibited persons are prohibited.
    Unless you have never broken any law - a virtual impossibility - you could be someone else's definition of a prohibited person too.

Tell me, why should a conviction for lying about your income on a mortgage application forever ban you from owning a single shot hunting rifle? Or writing bad checks? Or a college-prank vandalism that exceeded $250 (the felony threshold in that state)?

User Tag List