Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's in your toolset

What's in your toolset

Guys, just a small talk about what tools you have in your garage. I'm in the market for a new drill, so would like to know what's reliable. My makita was 10 yo. and have no idea what to choose right now. Maybe you'll advise something interesting, not only drill. By the way, I'm reading a lot of positive reviews about Ryobi but do not see any of Ryobi models on different review websites.

I use to buy Bosch and Makita a lot. Gone over to Hitachi almost 100%. Cordless and corded drills, pneumatic nailers and staplers, sanders, and saws. I probably left something out. They have factory trained repair/support within an hour of where I live also. Highly recommended.

I think Ryobi is good also but I would want support for anything I purchased.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-27-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Used Ryobi for years, still do.

At this point, between what I inherited from my dad and what I have, I have ~8 batteries and 4 chargers, a sawzall, a circ saw, impact driver, and standard power drill. They all work fine and I've found them to handle most of the abuse the average home owner is going to dish out on them.

I used Ryobi, Makita, and DeWalt for years in commercial construction (mostly HVAC) and they all held up about the same. The bonus for the Ryobis is they were cheaper to replace when they inevitably broke or were stolen from an unlocked truck...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-2...6952/203162021

This has been my go to "drill" for close to 12 years. I got tired of dealing with batteries, and admittedly batteries have improved by leaps in bounds in the last decade, but the cord really hasn't been that big of an issue. I have a Hitachi hammer drill for when I need more size or precision than the 1/4" drive drill bits can offer or the hammering, but that thing hardly sees day light anymore. If cords aren't an issue, I think it's worth a look. I would certainly take another impact driver, if it fit my needs, over a drill.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Why everyone's talking about Ryobi? Are they that good? A friend of mine advised me to buy one, too, but I do not see any models in top 10 lists like this, for example https://wisepick.org/best-cordless-drill/. I'm actually thinking about bosch. They also have a nice set of bits

I'm a Milwaukee guy.. but in reality, for the amount most people use a drill, a Ryobi is probably fine.

Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee are owned by Techtronich.

Ryobi is plenty good. If your in a “professional” setting where you’re tools will probably get stolen before you can wear them out, a sad reality of life, Ryobi is just as good as Milwaukee.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

Ryobi is plenty good. If your in a “professional” setting where you’re tools will probably get stolen before you can wear them out, a sad reality of life, Ryobi is just as good as Milwaukee.
    Kinda like saying all the AR barrels made by FN are the same spec regardless of who is buying them. According to their website, Rigid isn't one of their brands, but who knows.

DeWalt and Black&Decker are the same company (not Techtronic). The DeWalt tools are superior to the B&D versions.

I own almost exclusively Milwaukee cordless tools. Cordless tech has gotten insanely good to the point that I now own a sawzall, router, random orbit sander, and full-size circular saw, alll 18 volt, all tools that were not available In cordless versions, or which the cordless versions were sub-standard, up until a few years ago.

That said, if I was buying today, it’d be Ryobi. I’m a hobbyist, and not making my living with my tools, and for the amount I use them vs the cost of Ryobi, they’d be plenty good enough for me.

Re: who owns what...
    Attachment 47897

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

I'd replace my Ryobi stuff with Milwaukee in an instant, if the Ryobi stuff would just fail, but it won't
    #RESIST

User Tag List