Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble installing the E2 grip module on a P226

Site Supporter

trouble installing the E2 grip module on a P226

I have a P226 which has always felt very oversized for my hand, so I bought an E2 grip module/kit. I was able to get the original grips off and switch out all the internal parts, but now I can't get the clam-shell plastic grip to seat all the way on the pistol. The lower portion of the grip will lock into the place, but I just can't get the top to snap in all the way. I just need to move it a tiny bit more and the posts on the frame should pop into the holes on the inside of the grip. Is there some trick to this? It doesn't seem like a complicated procedure, but I sure can't seem to make it work. Thanks.

Since you mentioned installing the kit, I'm gonna assume you're using a newer style mainspring/strut/seat. But check the style of trigger bar spring in the gun too. If you have the old version, without the loop, or the spring is installed incorrectly, it can cause interference with the E2 grip seating all the way.

t

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Since you mentioned installing the kit, I'm gonna assume you're using a newer style mainspring/strut/seat. But check the style of trigger bar spring in the gun too. If you have the old version, without the loop, or the spring is installed incorrectly, it can cause interference with the E2 grip seating all the way.

t
    Thanks. I'll double check all of this. I ordered the kit straight from Sig last month, so I assume that I'm using the correct parts. I'm pretty sure I have the new style mainspring/structured/seat, but I don't know about the trigger bar.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Thanks. I'll double check all of this. I ordered the kit straight from Sig last month, so I assume that I'm using the correct parts. I'm pretty sure I have the new style mainspring/structured/seat, but I don't know about the trigger bar.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    It's pretty easy to get the rear of the trigger bar spring in the wrong place. I know this from experience. @taadski was able to talk me through an issue I was having with an older P220. I thought I had some pictures of the issue but can't find them at the moment. If you don't immediately see the issue post some pictures and he'll get you fixed up.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    It's pretty easy to get the rear of the trigger bar spring in the wrong place. I know this from experience. @taadski was able to talk me through an issue I was having with an older P220. I thought I had some pictures of the issue but can't find them at the moment. If you don't immediately see the issue post some pictures and he'll get you fixed up.
    I finally had time both time and desire to work on this pistol some more last night. I just can't see what the problem is. It appears as though some previous owner installed the E2 grip kit internal parts, but not the E2 grip. I can't discern any difference in the parts that came in the kit and the parts that were already installed in the pistol. I put one of the original grips on the pistol, and there's plenty of space between the hammer strut and the inside wall of the grip, so which indicates to me that I'm using the right part. However, both hammer struts are identical. They overlay one another perfectly. In any case, I did snap some pictures this afternoon. The top two pictures show the outside of the pistol without any grip. The bottom two show some of the gaps that are present when I put the E2 grip module in place. On the left side of the gun the grip looks like it needs to move forward and down a little bit. On the right side of the pistol, you can see light shining through between the grip and the side of the pistol when you look at it from the top. In any case, if anyone sees something that I'm overlooking or doing wrong, I'd certainly appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Name:  IMG_20200203_181159824.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200203_181135624.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  31.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200203_180346400.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200203_180445328.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  35.2 KB

It almost looks like you have a hammer strut interference issue. I know that's a replacement part when converting from regular to E2 and I'd double check that. The strut profile is different and the spring and retainer/housing thing at the bottom is different in length, IIRC.

I have a 229E2 DAK that I bought as a LEO trade-in. Thing appears to be in almost NIB condition. The E2 grips are just a pain. I'm having to replace the that trigger bar spring because I'm pretty sure someone monkeyed with removing the grips and tweaked the spring. It's very easy to do even if you have the removal tool and inserting business cards on each side to make sure the springs stay down out of the way during grip install is suggested. Be sure to check trigger return when you do get them to seat properly.

As for me I'm just ditching them and putting Hogue G10 grips on mine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    It almost looks like you have a hammer strut interference issue. I know that's a replacement part when converting from regular to E2 and I'd double check that. The strut profile is different and the spring and retainer/housing thing at the bottom is different in length, IIRC.

I have a 229E2 DAK that I bought as a LEO trade-in. Thing appears to be in almost NIB condition. The E2 grips are just a pain. I'm having to replace the that trigger bar spring because I'm pretty sure someone monkeyed with removing the grips and tweaked the spring. It's very easy to do even if you have the removal tool and inserting business cards on each side to make sure the springs stay down out of the way during grip install is suggested. Be sure to check trigger return when you do get them to seat properly.

As for me I'm just ditching them and putting Hogue G10 grips on mine.
    I'm 100% sure (famous last words) that the hammer strut is correct, or rather that if the hammer strut is incorrect then Sig put the wrong part in the kit. The spring retainer on mine is also much shorter than the ones I've seen in the how-to videos, so I think that is correct as well. Having said all of that, something is obviously incorrect. Trigger return still works fine though, so at least I haven't messed that up yet. Maybe tomorrow...

In retrospect, I really wish I'd gone with the Hogue G10s (assuming that they are closer to the E2 size than the factory P226 grips). While I'm dwelling in retrospect, I wish that I'd gotten a P229 to begin with! This P226 seems really huge to me.

Doesn't help with your current frustrations and I'm in the minority on this but I love the E2 grip on the P226. The OEM grips on my milled slide P226 made it seem like a fat pig but the E2s completely changed the handling and shooting results for me.

The E2 on a P228 was another story--accentuated the de-cocker hump and turned it into a thumb buster.

Looking at the photos, like it appears you've gathered, you both have the correct main spring/strut/base assembly and your trigger bar spring is installed correctly.

I'm not an avid E2 grip user, but I had one laying around and did some messing around installing it on a 226 to try and source your problem. It has been quite a while since I've messed with them, but I found that it's easy to replicate the 90% seated condition you've shown in your photos as the grip seems to want to hang up just shy of being fully seated. I had good luck sliding a thin plastic card (like a credit card or ID card or something) underneath the left grip side to alleviate the hangup and let it slide the final bit until it clicks into place.

t

I switched out all my newer P226s to the E2 grips. I seem to recall having one set that hung up like that and having to take them off with the tool and mess with them until they snapped in but its been a while. I assume you looked at the inside of the new grips to make sure there aren't any, not sure what you call them, the bits of excess plastic that should get trimmed after they come out of the mold? or anything like that.

User Tag List