Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a definitive thread re: "pistol braces?"

Is there a definitive thread re: "pistol braces?"

I have longed for a legal and reasonable way to have a compact carbine for some time -- it tickles my fancy more than select-fire or suppressors ever has. That being said, I've paid relatively scant attention to the pistol brace concept over the past several years, figuring it for a cross between the bump-fire stock silliness and a great way to get one's self arrested on a federal crime (not for the specifics of how they work, more the general sense of how firearms fads tend to play out).

But they haven't really gone away, and I haven't been hearing about arrests -- so is it a real thing? Legal? Would anyone be willing to point me toward the thread or resource which has the scoop? Thanks!

I think there was a thread not long ago. I think you're pretty safe as far a legality goes at this point but who knows anymore. Pistol braces have gotten pretty dang good. I wouldn't say they're as good as a stock but close enough that I wouldn't bother with a tax stamp to SBR most guns. The SBA3 or A4 are about the best options right now. The A4 is a little longer and I prefer it for a non-folding AR pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I think there was a thread not long ago. I think you're pretty safe as far a legality goes at this point but who knows anymore. Pistol braces have gotten pretty dang good. I wouldn't say they're as good as a stock but close enough that I wouldn't bother with a tax stamp to SBR most guns. The SBA3 or A4 are about the best options right now. The A4 is a little longer and I prefer it for a non-folding AR pistol.
    Thanks. Is it still the case that you’re not supposed to shoulder them?

On a semi-related note, it seems that at some point in the semi-recent past pistol-gripped shorty shotguns were no longer verboten...?

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post

On a semi-related note, it seems that at some point in the semi-recent past pistol-gripped shorty shotguns were no longer verboten...?
    You can shoulder them.

So for shotguns with barrels under 18" it has to have never had a stock installed and still measure over 26". This technically makes them fall outside the definition of "shotgun" since they've never had a stock. That's why the Mossberg Shockwave and Remington Tac-14 are legal and why they have the bird's head grip. You can put a brace on them but be aware that the OAL is now measured with the braces folded which will probably make them shorter than 26" so you'll not want a folding brace.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter

Asked and answered here many times over. Search function is your friend.

Site Supporter

Both questions and answered here many times over. Search function is your friend.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tol-SBR-thread
    There’s this thread, but it’s not really about braces.

Up until recently I’d have agreed with you that most braces were half-measures at best that, while legal, weren’t really that great. The exception was the Maxim CQB but that’d set you back $300, and the Tailhook but not everyone liked that setup. With the SBA3 & SBA4, as @Bigghoss said those are “close enough” and work with a carbine receiver extension, spring and buffer. I agree that with the availability of those two, I don’t see the need to go with all the SBR paperwork.

Anyone saying you can’t shoulder a brace is working with outdated info. That was true at one point (not that it stopped anyone) but no longer.

I have a few, and my brace of choice is the Gear Head Works Tailhook. Whenever I shoot it, I practice with it as a truce brace with my arm on the fold out shelf - and I don’t wipe that part off, so there is evidence I use it as intended. That said, I like my braces short so I can cheek weld effectively.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have 2 SBRs and a 3rd AR pistol that wears an SBA3 brace. I definitely prefer a real stock vs. the SBA3, but not enough that I would pay for a 3rd SBR lower. There are legal advantages to the "pistol" designation as well.

I am happy enough with the SBA3 but find the movement of the two rubberized "ears" of the brace to be kind of annoying. Looking forward to Magpul's first brace offering - hopeful it will be an improvement over the SBA3.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have 2 SBRs and a 3rd AR pistol that wears an SBA3 brace. I definitely prefer a real stock vs. the SBA3, but not enough that I would pay for a 3rd SBR lower. There are legal advantages to the "pistol" designation as well.
    I agree...I won't be SBR'ing another unless ATF changes it's position on pistol braces. I've used a Tailhook on a CZ Scorpion, and an SBA3 on a couple of AR's (just changed out the SB for a Tailhook on one of them). I was skeptical to the usefulness when the AR Pistol Brace craze took off, but after trying them there really is no "practical" difference between a stocked rifle and braced pistol.

I am happy enough with the SBA3 but find the movement of the two rubberized "ears" of the brace to be kind of annoying.
    Try a Split Fix strap...makes a huge difference.

User Tag List