Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Old eyes and home defense.

Site Supporter
    When I run a white light and a grip laser I don’t use all them at the same time. When my trigger finger is indexed on the slide and my grip has activated my crimson trace grip laser the laser is blocked by my finger (I am right handed) .
    In low light the laser dot is very visible on the target (once I move my finger) . When the white light is on in lowlight the sights are silhouetted and very visible. If you cannot see the sights clearly use the white light is to illuminate and identify the threat/ target; turn light off - use the laser and target focus to aim .

To the OP, background: 67th birthday in a couple of weeks. Lens replacements and retinal tears (repaired) in both eyes. Prescription glasses for distance, driving, etc. That said, I am surprised no one(I think) has mentioned a hand held light.
    I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. But first, I would get the most powerful hand held I could afford-and Lord there are a bunch. Streamlight, SUREFIRE, Maglight has a new rechargeable, etc., etc. I personally like 1000+ lumens, rechargeables won’t ruin you over battery costs, and a light is useful in many circumstances.
    Want gun hardware? The suggestion of laser grips is a good one; when I had a knee replaced, a snub nose with laser grips rode in my sweat pants for awhile.
    Tom Givens and others have written on setting ones house up; long lasting light bulbs in big rooms, layers of doors, etc.
    You want new gear? I have a G19, red dot sight and mount a big Streamlight with white light and green laser. One could
    go on and on with shotguns, rifles, etc.
    But please consider a really good hand held, and practice one handed shooting with the light(suggest temple index to start). You can practice live on a lit range and dry fire, too!

This shows the XS sight on a revolver and the .140" wide Warren Tactical tritium front sight on a Glock. The Warren is not quite as big as the XS but it shows up pretty well for me. Plus it has a traditional flat top and I use the superior Warren Wave rear sight.
    Name:  IMG_4666.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  24.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    But please consider a really good hand held, and practice one handed shooting with the light(suggest temple index to start). You can practice live on a lit range and dry fire, too!
    This is a good point. It’s been years since I went to the range without a leg of practice firing SHO with a surefire in my support hand. Even during the day, 450+ lumens does great things to an XS big dot out front.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Getting back to the OP for a sec, I’m in the process of transitioning what I can to XS big dots, since my vision is crappy. Glocks are easy, and I’ve even got a project for dovetailing up a Springfield Mil-Spec in the hopper, because, I can’t quit the 1911.

Incidentally, vision is why I’m getting away from the G42 and going LCR for low-profile (they both have XS sights); the main advantage of the mini-glocks, IMHO, is that they’re way easier to shoot at distance, and that remains true for me. However, despite retaining the ability to punch B8 paper at the end of the range with a G42, I’ve lost the real-world ability to determine "iphone" from "Saturday night special" at those distances, so I may as well take the more effective projectile for "inside the length of an SUV" duty.

There’s something to be said for revolvers when your detail vision starts to go for good.
    I was on XS Sights website today. They also make sights for RDS/Suppressor height. https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9440
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is a good point. It’s been years since I went to the range without a leg of practice firing SHO with a surefire in my support hand. Even during the day, 450+ lumens does great things to an XS big dot out front.
    Thank you. I’m ok with 450 lumens-my “training” flashlight is a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X which can take a rechargeable. I usually carry a SUREFIRE “Tactician”.
    Point is, get a light and train/practice with it.
    Good hunting!(in the dark)

Thanks for the replies.

A couple years ago I bought a Novak-style tritium FS on close-out somewhere. It’s the same height & width as the front blade on my M-64, so I’ll be getting that installed soon.

I’m kicking myself for trading away my 325 PD. With that big dot front it would’ve been an excellent NS gun.

This was a very timely thread for me. Age 70, and finally lost ability to keep front sight in sharp focus, even with corrected vision. Ordered a set of Crimson Trace laser grips for one of the j frames. Hopefully this will prove to be beneficial.

Good discussion especially for those wearing glasses or the chance that you could not put them on in time.

Anyone considered what would happen if your glasses got knocked off or broken?

This is a problem I'm working as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Good discussion especially for those wearing glasses or the chance that you could not put them on in time.

Anyone considered what would happen if your glasses got knocked off or broken?

This is a problem I'm working as well.
    I keep my spare set of “summer” glasses with transition lenses in my work bag. It’s at least between me and the front door. Not optimal but that way they are always in the same building or vehicle as I am.

Fortunately my vision without glasses is still “somewhere on the IPSC at 15” good.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List